Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#10907 by enyardica Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:23 pm
Thank you so much! I called my bank not too long ago and they said their fraud prevention kept any transactions from going through. I stopped my debit card and the bank will be sending me a new one. I wasn't entirely too worried about my financial situation with this, but it did cause undo stress - stress I hope others can be kept from experiencing!
Advertisement

#10914 by Ralph Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:23 am
We do too :wink:

Glad to know your accounts are safe :D
#14532 by joshj Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:13 am
All I can tell is that I fell for it, and they have the same pattern... in the same night 5 people try to do the same thing to me, I fall for the first one, they are using the [www.tagged.com] as a bait and they are the must charming people you can get, and after that, there comes why don't you form part of my profile? they give you a rare site, then it directs you to the age verification and that you are not gonna be charged, then you check your account and you are charged, after that you can't log in, and they still pushing you to try other sites and enter the card again, as I heard they do get commission depending on the amounts of money that they can get from you, lads better watch out from these guys or gals, they are mostly in tagged.com and uses the yahoo IM and emails to get in contact with you and talk to you so sweet, then the cold water over the head...

Beware and be safe, we cannot permit these people to be ripping off by using our sympathy, and our will to give a good friendship...

JJS
#14534 by Ralph Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:19 am
Hi joshj

Welcome to Scamwarners

contact your bank immediately and you may be able to stop it from going through or at least have it reversed.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
#14553 by GomerPyle Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:55 am
If someone wants your card details it's to charge you - there is no other reason other than the one exception I mention below.

I'm handling a major scam involving high pressure tele-marketing and a holiday prize, and once they get your card info they'll bleed you dry.

I do believe that in some states in the US a retailer may ask to see your credit card to accept a cheque, but it's only to see you have got a valid card. You are not obliged, and you shouldn't, allow them to see the card number.

It's probably safest to cancel your card and get a new one, as it's been known for them to wait until there's credit orroom on your facility and then pass a charge. This is a big business, but the more people who know about the dangers, it won't get any bigger.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#14664 by risenphoenix12 Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 pm
I think I've fallen for a trick! I gave the same people my debit card number, but it's through a Federal Credit Union. I manage all of my finances on the CU website, and there's only about $200 on the actual card now. All the site asked for was the number, security code, and my name/email. Is this enough info to scam? Should I call the CU and tell them to freeze it or something like that? Should I call this scam-site's phone number from my cell? Emailing them doesn't go through for me, either. HELP!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
#14673 by Arnold Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:18 am
Welcome to scamwarners.
Usually sites also ask for the card's expiry date, and I don't know if this is essential. I think you should contact your bank and ask for your bank account to be changed.
If you' phoned the site, you've no guarantee that they won't bill you anyway.

#14736 by GomerPyle Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:01 am
Your credit or debit card details are not a form of ID.

They will confirm your ID by processing a payment to your account.

Never disclose your card details to anyone you aren't intending to charge your account, and even then, only do so to reputable and trusted sites.

Would you hand you wallet to a stranger in the street ?

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
#14754 by risenphoenix12 Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Thanks all!
I had my credit union cancel that card, and they're going to send me another. I should be safe, right?
What about the site that emails me "RE: Free Lifetime Membership Offers"? Is there any/legal danger here? I never signed up for anything (except the scam part), so they don't have any other information.
#14791 by GomerPyle Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:28 pm
My mother, who is near 90, but knows all about scams and scammers was about to ring a line about a scratch card holiday prize. It was a slip inside a magazine and she said it must be okay as it's from a reputable magazine. :roll:

I had to get a magnifying glass to read the mall print. She was aware that the call would cost £10 :shock: and I could see that you had to give all your personal details and phone number and they stated that it would be used for other marketing purposes.

I can't say you wouldn't get a prize, but my own guess is that you're more likely to get a number one single, though you can be guaranteed to get some high pressure time share sales calls.

Theoretically they could till try to process a payment through on your card, but having cancelled it, you are in a much better position to fight it than if you hadn't. It's likely you'll get more 'offers' based on whatever information you provided, but you should now be aware that nothing comes free and that pretty well all offers that come to you from strangers are scams.

#14916 by risenphoenix12 Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 pm
***UPDATE***
Okay, so they've responded to me with this:
<b>Dear user,

We noticed you are under the impression that by canceling your trial membership you void current charges. It is explicit and clearly mentioned several times before finalizing your transaction: This is promotional trial where you must complete at least 2 promotional offers within 48 hours; if you do not complete any offers the current $39.95 monthly fee will be assessed, it is also mentioned that cancellation has no effect on any current billing, it only cancels FUTURE deductions.

Thank you

Customer Support</b>

When I try to reply to the email, it tells me it's "taking too long to send" and to "try recomposing or resending it", which of course, doesn't work.

I'm sort of scared for some reason, even though I have provided "them" no other information other than my name and card number (no phone/address).

Thanks again for all the support! :-)
#24263 by Matty24 Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:30 am
Ok, i fell for this scam late last night. I was on a chat site and was talking to some for like 20 mins. Then they asked if i wanted to see them on cam and that they couldent do it threw MSN for some reason. I new better then to listen to this person but yet some reason i did signed up. I had sighed up for what i thought was a 3 day free trial and as long and canceled there would be no charge. HAH boy was i wrong next thing i have two not just one but two conformation e-mails saying that i have to pay 39.95 or sign up for 2 of there other sites. I canceled right away and called customer service becaus there cancel was just a joke that gave no conformation of a canceling or anything. So i talked to this guy and he said i was being charged 39.95 you was really pissed but realized im screwed myself. I then asked him while i was sent 2 conformation e-mails. He replied "you have signed up for two accouts." I told him thats not true why would i sign up for the same thing 2 times. One conformation have my normail e-mail address the other my e-mail with extra numbers on the end which dident make any since.I then ask him ok so there is only 1 charge on my card, he says "yes, for $39.95" I pretty much say screw it i guess im taking a hit for the cash. I called my bank becuase i was still worried that they were gonna charge me morew then what they said. DING i was right when i called my bank i was told there were 2 pending charges one foir 39.95 and one for like 38 something. Now im pretty much livid that i was stright up lied to on the phone, I immdetly canceled my debit card, so as not to recurr any more random charges. So where im at right now is i have 2 pending charges for a service that i never wanted! So i was will to take the hit for the 39.95 but not anymore i will be calling my bank and fighting both charges.
Here is the name of the site i signed up for Platinumclub.com and this is the site that is billing me. http://www.dealpost.biz
#24267 by Matty24 Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 am
Oh and just to add one more thing since this happened, i have received atleast 40 friend invites on my msn instant messenger. So i accept a couple of them. Im mad atmyself for not saving the convo for everyone to see, but it basicly was all scammers it was so funny first thing they said is if i wnat to see them on cam and started sending me links. Now i was stupid the first time and mad the mistake of going to those sites. I told this person no thanks im not falling for that. They replied as if i had said "oh yeah baby i wanna see you" The person just kept spamming text and was not reading anything i said. This is to everyone i know if your here you probly were scamed at some point in your life. This just happened to me for the first time and i can tell you i will never be this gullible. I just wanna tell everyone if you even get the slightest hint of a scam it most likely is!
#24279 by Dotti Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:44 am
Sorry to hear you were scammed by these sleazy tactics. Unfortunately, as you see here, it is not uncommon. You should definitely continue to challenge the charges, and you might want to report the business to the agency regulating businesses in their country (haven't checked to see if they are based out of the US or somewhere else) and complain to their webhost. It won't get them shut down, but the bigger the complaint files on them, the more likely action will eventually be taken.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.