Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#10808 by mglopkin Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:03 pm
sorry.. I know I just posted here but.. I sent the info you all gave me to my friend.. and she is relieved.. she's promised me that she will listen to everything you all wrote. AND.. she has already shut down the e-mail address she was using for contact with these people...I told her to do that yesterday, before you all commented.

Thanks again!!! three cheers for all of you!!! :party: :party: :party:
Advertisement

#10872 by AlanJones Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:38 am
@mglopkin - I would recommend that your friend looks to register with a UK based Au Pair agency - not one of the web sites that advertise to match au pairs with families. I have a realistic looking au pair profile on one of the websites, and so far the only contacts I have had have been from scammers.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#10917 by AlanJones Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:58 am
Hi Kyrie and welcome to ScamWarners.

I am glad that you have avoided being scammed by 'Ken Sinclair'.

He would of course be reluctant to undertake a video interview, as it would immediately become apparent that he was an African in an Internet Cafe rather than an Englishman in his house in London.

I assume that you are looking for au pair work, so I would recommend that you take a while to look through the Various financial scams forum, where a number of similar scammers are listed. These scammers are fairly prevailent on the au pair websites, so chances are high that any contact you get from potential employers will be scammers. If you do get contacts from other potential employers that you are unsure about, please do post them on here and we can advise you on whether they look legitimate or not.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#10918 by Ralph Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:13 am
Hi Kyrie,

Welcome to Scamwarners,

B8er has already given you all the good advice so all that remains for me it to thank you for posting.

If you do have any details different to what is already posted please add it here and never hesitate to come back and ask, even if you only have the slightest doubt
#11055 by timona Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:05 pm
Hello there...even i need help....i sort of applie at great aupair.com as well...nd i kinda m worried ab8 my sister hu wud go....even dey wanted a security money so to say...but dey sended pictures of d family nd my sister wud beliving wid dem...is dat also scam...i mean...i dont noe...i kinda m worried now....pls help
#11056 by timona Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:11 pm
oh here is wat d family wrote to my sis

Hello Dear,

I am Felicia Lopez, i saw your profile at the greataupair.com and i found your profile interesting. I am a Banker by profession and my Husband is a Medical Doctor, we live together with our two lovely boys, Terry is 5yrs and Alex is 7yrs, and as you know it there are a lot of achievement in United kingdom and you will be treated as part of the family from the minute you arrive, we also have a laundry man in our house hold living in our pool house, at the back. My children are fun loving, playful and a little hectic at times, they like playing video games, football. My children are very intelligent but plays a lot that's why i need them to be a bit more busy studying some foreign language, (French, Dutch, either)piano classes, for at least 2hrs a day 3times a week after their afternoon Nap, To go to the swimming pool, park, etc. And to play with them.I will be paying you 2000 Pounds per month and you will also get 200 Pounds as pocket money every week.You will work around 4 or 5 hours per day, no more. From Monday to Saturday. Our family is a little hectic at times but fun loving, and energetic as well, The Au pair would be required to bath the kids in the mornings only, and also take them to school and bringing them back, Monday to Friday (Au pair/nanny that could drive is okay, we have available a car that can be used) although the school is about 600meters from our home, its a walking distance for me, :), The Au pair will have access to the internet and a television and video in his/her room. You will have his/her own double room with suite shower facilities. I would expect the Au pair to work for 25-30hrs per week Mon-Fri with weekends off you can start doing some other things here in UK as you will have your working permit as soon as I'm okay with you u will have to do some housework.

Till i hear from you.

Here is my Contact Address in United Kingdom and as soon as you've arrived in the airport i will come to pick you.

My Home Address:
17, Hunt Road Tonbridge,
Kent,
TN10 4BB,
United-Kingdom.

Have a lovely day and hope to read from you soon.

Regards...

Lopez...

den afte
#11057 by timona Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 pm
this is the secon dmail

Hello,

Thanks for the mail as i want you not as an aupair alone but as part of my family. You are to start as soon as possible and also you can stay as long as you can. I want my children to be happy not with me alone but with you too and i believe you can help
them with all their needs. All i want you to do now is to contact the Travel Agency that will be helping you with your trip and all the documents that you will be needing on this email address:

[email protected]

They are really trusted and they work fast, they have being helping me whenever i want to travel tell them you want a visa for UK to work for my family Let me know whatever they discuss with you so as to know where to help. I'm am assuring you they
will help you with a cheaper and faster visa, work permit and flight ticket.Please note that i am willing to take responsibility of 50% part of the payment that will be required for the processing of your documents so i await your response with the cost of the processing.

Regards.

Thanks..

after dat the third mail

Hello,

You will have to contact my lawyer to process your contract aggrement form.
Here is the email to contact my lawyer on:

[email protected]

Thanks...
#11058 by timona Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:17 pm
den i talkd to the lawyer...nd here wat dey replied

ADAMS LAW CHAMBERS
Adams House, 33 Cavendish Square,London W1G 0PW

Attn: my sisters name,
Ref: File Number: HSMP/00789NA/2267
Date:12-06-2009

We have acknowledged the receipt of your mail,for you to work with Felicia Lopez Family you will need to have your Contract Agreement and you will need to make certain payment to the British High Commission which shall be refunded back to you.

The Deposit to be made to the British High Commission (B.H.C) will cost you 450 pounds which will be refunded back to you as soon as you arrive at the United Kingdom.

So for us to get your Contract Agreement processed, we need you to get back to us with your Full details which includes your full name and address and your scanned passport.

We await your swift response to proceed with the processing of your Contract Agreement.

Thank You For Your Contact While We Guarantee better services.

Yours in Service,

ADAMS LAW CHAMBERS
Adams House,33 Cavendish
Square,London W1G 0PW
United Kingdom
Name: David Nicolas/Partner
Designation: Attorney/Solicitor
Tel: +447031918858
Email:[email protected]

i would be so glad if you guys could help me out there...iplsss
#11061 by Dan Jones Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:27 pm
I'm sorry to say that this does certainly look like a scam, but I don't really have the time to do much research. Someone will post the evidence in a little while I'm sure, but for now, don't send any money.

The things that stand out are, the lawyer uses a free email client, as does the travel agent. She signs her name as Lopez. Firstly, it's not an English name and secondly I don't know anyone who signs an email with only their surname. Another thing is that it starts with Hello dear - most people who are interested in hiring you would put your name. The salary is also far too high. I can't recall the normal wages, but they are in the hundreds per month, not the thousands.

Whilst the address is a real one, and their is a primary school nearby, I can't see any house with pools on Hunt Road, let alone any pool houses. The email also says the Au pair will work 4-5 hours Mon to Sat and then says later that they will work 25-30 Mon-Fri with weekends off. That doesn't really add up even if you disregard the Saturday.

Moving on to the Lawyer. I know a few lawyers and they can all speak English a lot better than this one. His law firm doesn't seem to exist and I don't believe the high commision would even have anything to do with a visa or work permit.

I don't suppose you could tell us which country you are from could you? The full headers from their emails (with your details removed) would be able to pin point which country they are emailing from.

Newdonym
#11062 by Dotti Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:01 pm
Unfortunately, you are definitely dealing with a scammer here--there is absolutely no doubt as to that.

Here are just a few of the many signals of a scam:
-The salary (2000 +200 per week = approx 2800 pounds per month) is well above the going rate for a nanny that is only working 25 or even 30 hours a week.
-The poor English and the specific kinds of mistakes tell me that you are not dealing with someone in the UK, but with African scammers.
-The phone number for the attorney is a redirect number--that means although you are dialing a number that appears to be in Britain, the call is really being routed to another phone that can be anywhere in the world (in this case Africa). A legitimate business in the UK would not have any reason to use a premium redirect number.
-The email address for the "attorney" is a free webmail address. In this day, a law firm would have a website and email addresses at their own domain.
- searching "Adams Law Chambers" brings up other scam reports, mostly employment scams.

The photos they sent your sister will simply be family photos stolen off the internet--they can just pick any random facebook or myspace page and save the pictures that fit their story.

Look at this forum where the exact same wording email was posted over a month ago...
http://www.ang.pl/Dziwna_oferta_78082.html

Also look at the information regarding the "travel agent" (notice that the address [email protected] doesn't make sense for a travel agency either)
http://www.reviewopedia.com/global-travel-international-scam.htm

Looking at your second letter, notice how much is the same as a letter posted elsewhere on this forum, with only the names changed.

Thanks for the mail as i want you not as an aupair alone but as part of my family. You are to start as soon as possible and also you can stay as long as you can. I want my children to be happy not with me alone but with you too and i believe you can help
them with all their needs. All i want you to do now is to contact the Travel Agency that will be helping you with your trip and all the documents that you will be needing on this email address:

From http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2741&p=10535
Hello ,
Thanks for the mail,i want you not as an aupair alone but as part of the Williams family. You are to start as soon as you are ready and also you can stay as long as you wish to stay. I want my kid to be happy and i believe you can help her out. I need you to contact the Travel Agency that will be helping you out with your trip and all the documents that you will be needing on this email address:

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#11063 by AlanJones Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 am
Hello timona

As Dotti has said this is a scam. It bears all the hallmarks of various emails that I have received in response to a listing on the GreatAupairs website.

If you want any more proof then, even the home address that is given appears on another scammer's email here.