Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#10454 by Ralph Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:16 pm
No, its the same scam, the scam will suggest the Aupair cant live with them so will need to live in a nearby apartment.

also I regret to inform you that you wount be able to stay in my apartment due to some personal and family reasons for just 2 months and luckly for me i found a vacant apartment about 2 buildings away from us where you can stay for some time while taking care of my kids

The scammer will go on to say that if she can go ahead and pay the appartment owner he will reimburse the Au pair as soon as she arrives, thats where the scam is.

A little unusual yes, I am noot sure if i have ever seen an Au Pair scam turn to appartment scam before but they are always coming u with new lies so it doesn't surprise me
Last edited by Ralph on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#10455 by Holly Brown Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 pm
Dotti, yes and no.

It's the same scam. The original scammer is also posing as a landlady to rent an apartment to the nanny because the employer is having family issues. ;)

What was it Shakespeare said? "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." These scams can get complicated - so complicated it's no wonder the victims sometimes get lost in the complications.

[email protected] if you want to ask me more questions.
#10458 by Dotti Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:47 pm
Got it--somehow I missed the mid-section of posts, and I didn't know how it got to an apartment, considering that in the initial format he was claiming to own a house with a room for the au pair...

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#10460 by Ralph Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 am
Yes

why would anybody want to use a relatively safe and secure option like bank transfer when they can use the the number 1 prefered option for scammers to use and remain anonymous.

BTW, many scammers do accet payment by bank transfer
#10461 by AlanJones Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 am
Dotti, as the others have said it does jump from Au Pair to Apartment scam. Its pretty hard to follow, as the emails are fairly long.

They basically start off by trying to get £300 as a refundable fee from the Au Pair to show that she is serious, but don't put up any resistance if you argue about it. Then the host family are beset by a mysterious problem that means that the Au Pair can't stay with them but miraculously there is an apartment available just up the road and it's very cheap.

I think it is done this way because the site that they are catching the Au Pairs on has lots of warnings about not sending money via WU to host families. The initial £300 is probably a test to see how compliant the victim is and the scam may well have gone another way if that money had been paid.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#10501 by AlanJones Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 am
The next stage in the scam and it's a request for money from the person renting the apartment.
Hello Consuala,
Kindly follow these steps below to make payments and the forms will be sent to you after payment has been completed before Friday, In my next email after payments will be a rental agreement form, Please print out, fill and sign 2 (two) copies of this Agreement and mail one copy to Me. One executed original will be mailed back to you when the 800 GBP payment has as been paid by you. Hope to hear from you soon. Payment should be made via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER to my secretary information's below due to the fact that you are not presently in London and as i have told you before i accept cash only but am doing this favour by collecting WESTERN UNION all because of Mr Ken

NAME: Lucie Stone
Address: 23 CITY GATE WEST,OLDHAM STREET LIVERPOOL
Post code: L1 2SU

You will get back to me with the following details or information's after you send the payments of 800 pounds.

Senders name;
Senders address:
The MTCN (money Transfer control number):
Exact amount sent by sender:
Full address and country where payment is sent from:

I will send the form in my next email after payments.Here are the pictures to the room attached to this mail..

thanks,

Mrs Maria

Note: The address quoted is for a serviced apartment and has probably been picked at random off the Internet.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#10505 by AlanJones Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:24 am
It would appear that the scammers have an associate in the UK who is willing to receive payments to his bank account on their behalf. I'm posting his details (minus the full account number) here so that anyone who happens to search for his name will discover his criminal tendancies.
Hello Consuala,
I understand your concerns and here are the bank details, i will be waiting to hear from you as soon as you transfer the fees and also the scanned copy of the transfer receipt .

Bank Name: Halifax Bank
Account Name: Elvis O Agbontaen
Sort Code: 110001
Acct: 04521XXX
Iban: GB62HLFX11000104521XXX
Bic: HLFXGB21F08
United Kingdom

regards
Maria

A search on Mr Agbontaen's name here shows that this is not the first time that he has made his accounts available to scammers.

Mr Agbontaen's account details have been reported, so he may well have some explaining to do.

#10547 by AlanJones Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Another email from the scammer. It would appear the original bank account is no longer available to the scammer.
Hello Consuala,
Am sorry but i just contacted on of my workers that own that account and i was informed that he just had a terrible accident so i want you to transfer the fee to this account below and cancel the other one, i am very busy now right here in Dublin and will be back by weekend... dont forget to send the transfer scanned copy

Bank Name: ABBEY BANK
Iban: GB65 ABBY 090127 370570xx
BIC: ABBYGB2LXXX
Account name; K HEDGE
AC: 370570xx
SC: 090127
Address: Triton Square, regents place London NW1 3AN

regards
Maria

#10767 by mglopkin Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:35 pm
Hi there.. I just registered here to say that Jane McKenzie and the like has struck again...

I have a friend in Hungary who fell for the is whole scam hook, line and sinker... she received THAT EXACT set of e-mails the person who started this thread posted... and I'm afraid that she has already sent them the first 2 payments... she had JUST received the e-mail regarding the apartment.. when I told her NOT to do anything else. I'm from the USA and a bit older than her... and I warned her at the beginning that it didn't sound right to me that she had to spend money to make some. I urged her to see a her families lawyer (I'm not sure if she did or not.. but she told me she did). I got very concerned last night when she received the e-mail about having to rent an apartment.. I'm form New York City and I KNOW that all au pairs that work in the city LIVE with the families they are working for.

After she gave me all the information last night.. I immediately googled Jane Mackensie's name and address and I found this site.. I sent a link to her.. and I HOPE that she read everything here. She is scared and desperate now.. and she's afraid that he people in question will harm her family now that they have her personal information.. I URGED her to take everything and see her lawyer today.. and to t go to the authorities.. I don't know if she will.. is there anyone out there who can tell me what to say to her? and has the British Government been alerted to this scam yet? In my gut I firmly believe that this is not a scam based in England... but somewhere else. PLEASE HELP ME HELP HER!!! At this moment in time.. I know that she wants to stay anonymous in all of this.. so I will be her "liason"....
#10769 by Ralph Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:00 pm
Hi and welcome to Scamwarners

Firstly, well done on spotting this as a scam, I know your friend has already made 2 payments but it could have been more if not for your help.

I dont have much good news for her I am affraid, but I will start with that first, the scammer is in Nigeria and not the UK as you suspected, we can tell that by the IP address which comes with every email, he is unlikely to have ever been outside of Africa and he will not be interested in travelling to harm your friend or her family.

He may make threats or he may make promises but whatever he says will be another attempt to get her to send more money and it will be a lie.

Once the money is sent to these people and picked up by them it is gone forever, there is no way of ever retrieving it, a good lawyer will tell her this but a money hungry one will try to charge her fees for services she does not need, there is simply nothing they can do for her.

Reporting it to the police is a good idea but not for the reason you would expect, they will not be able to catch them, they hide in internet cafes using fake names and fake details, in order to get one arrested they need to be physically caught in the act of scamming somebody, the police both in the US and Hungary have no jurisdiction and are powerless even if they did have resources, reporting it officially however does help with statistical data which will show governments how big a problem this is, the bigger the problem they recognise, the more they are likely to do to prevent it, and the best way to prevent it is public awareness.

There is no point intelling The UK authorities, they simply have nothing to do with it, a crime has been committed by a Nigerian, living in Nigeria to a girl living in Hungary, the man claiming to be from the UK is a complete lie

You need to tell you friend to be aware of any further emails or requests for money for any reason what soever

Scammers see past victims as an easy mark and will continue to try many different things to get her to send more money including a recovery scam, we have a section on these scams here which may help but in simple terms she will be contacted by somebody claiming to be trying to help her recover the money she lost, fees will need to be paid in order to get her money returned but this will simply be another scam, nobody will be able to get her money back.

Please do make sure she reads this thread entirely and tell her to ask us if she has any questions at all, we are here to help where we can but for now the most important thing is making sure she doesn''t send another cent to anybody at all for any reason, after that give her reassurance that she is not in any danger, she isn't regardless of what future emails may say.
Last edited by Ralph on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#10770 by The Enchantress Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:04 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners mglopkin.

We will gladly help you to help your friend and address her concerns.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#10773 by Arnold Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, and I'm sorry to hear that your friend was scammed.
These people are only interested in victims money, and have no interest in their personal information. They only ask for it as that is what a real employer would do.
He'll be taking money off several victims, and they all realise it's a scam eventually. She should just break off contact. The scammer may persist for a while in an attempt to extract more money, but jut ignore them.
She's welcome to join anonymously. In fact, we encourage it. We aren't interested in members real life details.
Looking back, I see we know the emails come from Nigeria,

#10807 by mglopkin Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:37 pm
Thank you all, so so much. I will be sending a link to my friend... I tried to warn her at the beginning of this, to ME it sounded fake from the start. Ralph.. thank you for all the extra information to pass along to her.. she is STILL actively looking for au pair work in the UK.. and NOW I'm trying to help her steer clear of anything "fishy"...

To all of you here... you are doing something truly great here.. you are all people to aspire to. Thanks again.
I'll stick around.. maybe I can help out one day too. I can usually smell "bull" a mile away..