Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#13010 by Peta Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:24 am
There are many variations to the "contract award committee" style of advanced fee fraud but the general scam still remains the same. An email such as this below is sent to "Dear Friend" which could be anybody with an email address and claims to have an enormous sum of money that needs to be transfered out of the country. In all cases the money does not exist and any person responding to this scam will be passed off onto a lawyer or banker and told to pay fees.

Note: The official website for the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) is http://www.faannigeria.org/ All official representatives or agents of FAAN will only be using emails ending with faannigeria.org, such as [email protected] or similar.

IP reported by contributor 78.138.29.98 <- IP resolves to Nigeria
Subject Urgent Pls?
Sent: Saturday, 15 August 2009 12:31:46 PM
To:

Dear Friend,

My name is Micheal Owen, I am the chairman of the contract award committee,Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria.{FAAN}. I am in search of a Business partner to assist us in the transfer of USD$14,000.000,00 ( FOURTEEN MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS ). And for subsequent investment in properties in your country.You will be required to Assist us on the following areas.

(1) Assist in the transfer of the said sum into your account
(2) Advise us on lucrative areas for investment
(3) Assist us in purchase of properties in your country.

This money will be shared between you and we (Colleagues) over here in Nigeria.

We have agreed to share the funds as follows:
(I) 35% of the total sum for you (The Account Owner).
(II) 65% of the total sum for us (The officials involved).

We will be coming to meet you in your country immediately we conclude this transaction to share and to invest part of our shares of total sum into any viable business you may advise us in your country. Please, let me know if you are interested in this business by replying urgently.

Full details of this business will be sent to you upon receipt of your reply. For the purpose of communication in this matter, please give us your telephone and fax numbers including your private home telephone numbers.

Reply to me through this email address:( [email protected] )

Yours faithfully,
Micheal Owen.
Advertisement