Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#1899 by Whirled_Peas_Lover Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:39 am
Well, I average a MINIMUM of 1 "scam-vitation" per day. Most of them want me to assist in settling an estate that is very near the point of escheating to the local government because it hasn't been claimed for several years. The following is a new one to me.

I contribute this as I feel it helps to display an array of all of the various scams. Interestingly, this email originated in the U.S., though it states that the money is "with his bank here in UK." Also interesting that 'she' spells 'her' name 2 different ways throughout the email.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here writes LADY GLORIA FANDUCCI suffering from cancerous ailment.
When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of Twenty-three
Million Pounds (23,000,000.00 Million Great Britain Pounds Sterling) which were derived from his vast estates and investment in capital market with his bank here in UK.

Presently, this money is still with the Bank. Recently, my Doctor told me that I have limited days to live due to the cancerous problems I am suffering from.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the
bank in UK as well as that of my attorney. I will also write my will which empowers you as the original beneficiary of this fund.

My happiness is that I lived a life worthy of emulation. Please assure me that you will act just as I have stated herein.

You are STRONGLY advised to contact me through my personal email
address: [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon.
LADY GLORIA FADUCCI
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, any input anyone has is appreciated! And as usual, I have a question: What are the chances and/or possibilities that a person, perhaps the individual impersonating this "Lady Faducci" or somebody that knows her/him, might register as a member of THIS site or otherwise read their own email (above) on this site??? Any way we can draw blood or check DNA to ensure safety??? Just checking!

Always learning and hope to have something to share very soon!

Whirled Peas - World Peace
PoTAYto - PoTAHto
I Love 'em All
Advertisement

#1901 by ChrisSmith Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:27 pm
Hi Whirled_Peas_Lover.

That one is going to turn into a standard Money Transfer scam - the original 419.

To answer your question: there is the possibility that a scammer may find his way here but it's not as likely as you might think. You see, scammers tend to work from internet cafes and PC time therefore costs them money. It's cash that they would far rather spend on email correspondance rather than surfing the net. Most quite literally log on and then do everything out of their email box, not going anywhere else in the meantime.
Like I said though, it is a possibility, and we have come across a few scammers on our sister site (419Eater) who have managed to surf their way in. They're generally given short shrift and the unfortunate thing for them is that they then draw the attention of hundreds of baiters.

Although it doesn't sound great that a scammer can find his way here, the damage is minimal and the benefits of allowing everyone to view the forum, far outweigh the disadvantages. But you can guarantee that if one is stupid enough and does register, it won't be very long at all until our mods catch him - one or two of them have almost supernatural powers in detecting scammers.

#2095 by MattNW Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 pm
You also must consider the fact that these scammers are sending out hundreds if not thousands of emails. It's almost guaranteed that somewhere someone will post their email on an antiscamming site. They aren't interested in that. They count on the recipients who have never heard of a 419 scam and who will send them money.