Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#14149 by debbier Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:20 pm
Hi everyone;

I'm new to this forum. But would like some input from members. A couple of weeks ago, I received an email, looked like it was from Career Builders (where I have my resume posted). I responded to the email requesting more information. I received a response. The person responding (susan medina), directed me to their website, with instructions that if I was interested to fill out online application. After going thru the site, I did fill out the online application.
After my application was accepted, I was instructed to open a bank account at Bank of America using money they would provide via bank transfer. I thought about this for a couple of days, then I did open the account, and for opening deposit listed the bank details this company provided. The next day, I received an email from BofA, stating they would make trial deposits to the account where the funds were to be transfered from, and once I verified the trial deposits the account would be activated. I then email the rep. susan medina of this company (paymatesolutions.com), of BofA request. Susan Medina emailed me back,and told me when the trial deposits are posted she would let me know, I could then verify that information with BofA. A couple of days later, Susan emailed me with the trial deposit amounts and instructed me to go ahead and verify that with BofA. Now the whole time, they (Susan Medina or any one from paymatesolutions.com) never asked me for account with BofA, so I wasn't suspicious -- at least not to this point.
So I verify the trial deposit amounts with BofA, the account was approved with an opening deposit of $8200.00! At this point I not only became suspicious, I paniced! Why would they deposit such a large amount I was wondering. A couple of days later, Susan Medina of paymate solutions emailed me, said they funds were deducted from their business account and instructed me to Western Union her all but $25.00 of the deposit, and once that was done, to provide them (paymate solutions) with BofA account number so that clients from my area could make deposits and I would then send the money to paymate solutions (minus amount I would keep as per agreement). Nothing about this was making sense to me, and I emailed Susan back and told her I would send the entire deposit amount to her and that I was closing the account and wanted nothing more to do with the company. I then started getting phone calls telling me that I was under contract and that if I didn't hold my end of agreement, I could be charged. I keep going to their site, it looks legit, and I keep wondering, if they aren't legit, where did the money come from - if not from their account ---then who's? and how did they get access to the account? and if it is a scam, why would they not just take the money themselves out of the account from which they sent to my new BofA account?
Anyway, long story short; I think I'm in pretty big trouble and not sure what to do. The company is threating to prosecute if I don't wire them the money via Western Union and don't complete my contract with them.
I've thought about going to the police, but how do I explain to them that I really did think this was legit, but not sure. Not sure if they would just laugh me out of the station or arrest me.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

#14150 by The Enchantress Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:36 pm
Debbie - relax you are not in any trouble we cannot get you out of.

Firstly ignore any threats and do no send any money by Western Union to anyone.

Second - explain to the police and the bank exactly what has happened - show them all the sites - including this one and any mails and other evidence that you can.

This basic guide here may help http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5

Also view this site here http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=120846

If there is anything you are not sure about or any concerns please post.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#14151 by Dotti Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:46 pm
This is a scam, and you should go to the police. You should also contact B of A to get that account closed. This kind of scam is not uncommon--when you report it to the police, have all of the emails that show what happened--
they show that you thought you were responding to a legitimate job offer.

The money deposited in that account will be coming from a stolen account or credit cards, and if you send the money to them, you would be laundering money. Assuming you have not taken any money out of the account, you have not actually laundered any money at this point in time.

Their threats are meaningless--what are they going to do-take you to court and try to charge you with not committing a crime for them? If it makes you feel better, after you report this to the police, simply respond by telling them that you are aware this is a crime, the police are involved, and you will not correspond with them any further. Block their email addresses and phone numbers if you can.

Also, once you have filed the appropriate reports, if you can post the correspondence with them here or PM it to one of us (remove your personal information first), we can post a report and work on getting their fraudulent website closed.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#14154 by debbier Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:24 pm
Thank you for your responses. I am now printing the emails, then I'm off to the bank (BofA) to notify them, and then off to the police dept. Will post results when I return home.
Thank you for your support and help

Debbie
#14224 by Ralph Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Hi Las vegas

Money deposited into the victims account is directly from a compromised bank account, once the owner of the money realises their account has been compromised they will make a complaint to the bank who will investigate and reverse the transaction as well as notify police.

The primary reason why scammers need victims to receive this money for them is so they can remain annonymous, that is why they need it sent by Western Union, it makes their victim the last port of call for investigations rather than them.

Few people actually understand this scam and why they need a "mule" to receive the funds, unfortunately, most police dont understand either.

We still ask people to go to police because it is the police report we need our victims to have when it all turns nasty, the victim can then pull out the report and show they have done what they can to fix the problem and that it was not them trying to deliberately remove money from somebodies account