Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
Advertisement

#14503 by The Enchantress Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 pm
La Caixa is a legitimate institution.

"la Caixa" or Caixa d'Estalvis i Pensions de Barcelona (Spanish: Caja de Ahorros y Pensiones de Barcelona) is currently Spain’s leading savings bank and its third financial institution, with a network of over 5,500 branches, more than 8,100 ATMs, a workforce in excess of 27,000 and more than 10.7 million customers

The scammer in the above mail was using this bank to add "legitimacy" to his scam - he had/has no connection at all with La Caixa.

Concerning your situation - if the broker you are dealing with is bona fide and you trust him - you should have no concerns.

A clear sign of fraud would be requiring "advance Fees" or other payments before the loan is approved.

If you have any questions or observations please post and a support team member will be glad to help you.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#14515 by Ralph Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 pm
Hi Aytuuu

I see no evidence from what you have provided either way, given more information we can give you a better idea, usually the first email you were sent would be a good start as would be the header or IP from that email.

The more information you can give us, the better advice we can give you
#14528 by Ralph Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:06 am
I am quite comfortable to say that it is a scam.

If I have this wrong please let me know;

You were contacted out of the blue in regards to a deal you previously knew nothing about

You were offered a deal where you would receive money

You were instructed to open a bank account and were directed to a specific bank

you were advised there would be fees before you could pick up the money

Presuming, after initial fees were paid, more fees were requested

If any of the above is true, it will be a scam.

As I requested in the other thread, please provide the early emails including headers so we can find some proof of this scam for you.

If you need help in getting headers, let us know which email provider you used to receive the email and we can give you specific instructions.

1 final point, the person you met may be an accomplice or anotehr scam victim who needs your help to finalise his deal

Either way, it IS a scam
#14542 by GomerPyle Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:56 pm
I have to agree with Ralph that this transaction looks very suspicious.

I used to work on the International side of a major UK bank and this deal looks very wrong to me.

One thing that scammers do is to try and confuse issues, especially by using words that sound attractive but are not used accurately. For this reason I'm not completely sure what this deal is.

If it is a plain investment, then you would expect to receive money from them, and there would be no need for you to make any payment at all. Any promise to receive money where you must pay money up front first, has to be treated with caution. It can happen in business, but I'd only do it with partners I knew about or who had an established reputation.

Do not allow anyone other than yourself to have access to that account you have opened in Spain. Are you the only signatory ? Think carefully whether or not the other people may be able to make use of it. If they are scammers, they'll have no trouble forging your signature. You must give priority to closing that account if you decide that they are scammers.

Did you refer it to your local bank in Turkey ? It's not a criticism of you but banks may often be aware when a scammer is operating a particular scam. You may not be the only victim and you may be able to help other people in your country from the same bad experience.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#14566 by Ralph Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:25 am
Aytuuu

I have just realised you have sent me a mail, it has been caught up in my spam filter, I will go and find it now

Editing to add, I have just skimmed through the emails and have absolutely no doubt it is a scam.

I will need soem time to go through it but I will provide soem detail shortly

Please cease all contact with these people, they are thieves and are trying to steal from you, there is no doubt

Of particular is this email address E-mail:[email protected]/ financier.com is a free email and common for scammers to use, in fact, I have never seen a real financier use one
#14567 by Ralph Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:04 am
I am going to sift through and start posting the scam mails, in no particular order

Da: Jose Cordero Diez <[email protected]>
Oggetto: IMPORTANT MESSAGE
A: "
Cc:
Data:

Dear Mr.removed

This is to inform you of my discussion with Mr. Barkan. He called me to explan that you told him that I will be sending you the Euro 10,000 by wenesday and I said yes as this is very important to us as i have discuss it with my company Chairman.Please make sure you send me the Euro 10,000 on tuesday as soon as you receive the pakage from Spain.

regards

Mr.Jose Cordero Diez,
Business Development
Credit Financier S.A
E-mail:[email protected]/
Skype Id cred.financier.financier.com
Phone+34-6340 33306
Fax:+34 91 - 683 1284

The email address for this credit advisor comes up in a search which leads me to this scam viewtopic.php?f=7&p=14566
#14578 by Ralph Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:21 am
I have been looking over this and doing various searches, at this stage little is coming up.

I have no doubt it is a scam, but still unsure of how each is involved.

The bank involved , have you been dealing with them online only or have you actually been in the branch to discuss this?

The person who originally contacted you, I am still unsure as to whether this is another victim or the instigator.

Right now I need some sleep but I have given the information to some of our support team who may add some findings while I sleep.

If you have anything else that may be helpful please send it through.

One thing in particular is the very first email you received in regards to this, just a hunch but I have a feeling it will shine a lot more light on this
#14596 by Ralph Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:56 pm
I am sorry to say, but if you have sent money already, it is lost and not able to be returned to you.

A big reason for these scammers being able to steal such large amounts of money from their victims is when their victims invest more money in the hope of not losing the first money they lost.