Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
Advertisement

#14603 by Ralph Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:38 am
You could try to contact the police in your country who may be able to help you, please dont get your hopes up though, advanced fee fraud is not high on their list of priorities.

You may need to talk to a few different departments to find one who is willing to help you but I would presume your country has a computer crime section that would be the most likely to be able to do something about it.

The only thing you have to lose by trying is some time and a couple of phone calls
#14605 by GomerPyle Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 am
There might be one small chance you can make the person face justice even if you cannot get your money back, but you may prefer not to deal with this matter any more.

First you would need to speak to the police in Turkey and show them the evidence. If they confirm to you that they will arrest this man if he comes to Turkey, then there is a small chance that you may be able to persuade this person to fly to you. I know that the possibility of a Turkish jail would frighten any scammer a lot.

It's your choice, and we wouldn't normally recommend a victim continues in contact with a scammer, but if the Turkish police agree to arrest him on arrival then you will be safe.

My reasons are that you will be able to explain this better to your own police and they will be more sympathetic than a foreign police force. That's life and applies to everyone. As you have already paid money the scammers will believe you, if you mention that you want to offer them hospitality and a holiday at your villa. Tell them it's a Turkish custom. Maybe you want to increase the loan, which will cost you more money.

Only attempt this if the Turkish police agree to help you and arrest him. It may not work and you have to be able to speak to these people and keep your feelings hidden. If you go to Spain they can control you. In Turkey you can control them. Don't think of taking personal revenge or that will make matters worse.

If you can get the scammer on to Turkish soil, there's a chance the Turkish police may be prepared to help. You may still not get your money back, but you could offer to drop all charges if he repays you.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#14640 by Ralph Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:48 am
I wouldn't normally recomend doing as gomer has suggested however in this case it might bethe only chance of them being arrested, just be sure to follow all of the advice and be sure to have the police support before you attempt it.

If you are unsure or have any doubts, please do ask.

For others conidering doing the same, this is a very unusual set of circumstances and I suggest that others do not try to do the same