Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#2052 by jeteye Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:23 am
I would like to know if this email is a scam?

[email protected]

I noticed an old post on Snopes.com, but this guy now goes by Morgan Smith and says he wants to invest in my company. He says he is sending me a check (as opposed to me sending him one). I have the feeling that his check is going to bounce though.
Advertisement

#2053 by benjamin Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:30 am
Hi Jeteye
It would help if you could post his original email here, then other people who are searching, like you did, can find it here :wink:
Without seeing the email, I can say that it's pretty certain it will be a stolen or forged check.
How it works: he will want some or all of the money sent back by Western Union, leaving you (if you banked it) to be in debt and in trouble with the bank, and possibly the law, when the check eventually bounces.

#2055 by Ed Williams Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:17 am
Yes it's a scam jeteye, well done for picking up on it. The snopes.com email was a next of kin scam and now it looks like he's trying a check mule scam. He'll send you a check and ask you to send the difference back to him. The check will eventually bounce leaving you out of pocket and with an annoyed bank to contend with. If you stop communicating with him, he should give up and leave you alone.