Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#2064 by ybo Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:32 pm
Hi scam busters..
I receive regularly 2 or more per week of the type of email I insert here below just for your enjoyment.
The question is. Usually I forward these emails to [email protected]. I wonder how good is this and if it does something to deal with these scamers? Any idea?

============
Mrs Judith Bangura
Abidjan Ivoiry Coast
West Africa
Please reply to my private email address: [email protected]

Dearest ,

It is my pleasure to contact you for a business venture which I and my son intend to establish in your country .I am Mrs Judith Bangura the wife to Late Dr David Bangura From Sierra Leone in West Africa. Though I have not met with you before but I believe, one has to risk confiding in succeed sometimes in life. There is amount of Eight million U.S dollars ($8,000,000.00) in a trucks Box which my late husband Deposited in a private security company here in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire before his death.

Now I and my son have decided to invest these money in your country or anywhere safe enough outside Africa for security and political reasons.I want you to help me and retrieve the box and transfer these Funds into your personal account in your country for investment purposes on these areas:

1, Five Star Hotel ). Real Estate business or any of your choice that will profite us in return.
If you can be of an assistance to us we will be pleased to offer to you 15% Of the total fund. I await your soonest response.
Respectfully yours,

Judith Bangura

===============
Received: (qmail 21389 invoked from network); 4 Sep 2007 20:17:14 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO pre-smtp23-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net) ([64.202.166.53])
(envelope-sender <judith_ban42>)
by smtp08-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-1.03) with SMTP
for <yves>; 4 Sep 2007 20:17:14 -0000
Received: (qmail 26873 invoked from network); 4 Sep 2007 20:17:14 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO web27512.mail.ukl.yahoo.com) ([217.146.177.216])
(envelope-sender <judith_ban42>)
by pre-smtp23-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP
for <yves>; 4 Sep 2007 20:17:14 -0000
Received: (qmail 17046 invoked by uid 60001); 4 Sep 2007 20:17:12 -0000
Domain key removed - SP
Received: from [196.201.88.24] by web27512.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:17:12 CEST
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:17:12 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Dear, Respectful One,
To: [email protected]
Advertisement

#2065 by benjamin Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:45 pm
My view - on the one hand it's probably good to send them emails so they get an idea of the size of the problem, on the other...there's not much they can do. If they close the email account, the scammers open a new one (or already have dozens of replacements). The general opinion among scam fighters is that it's better to leave mail accounts open, then people at least have a chance of finding something about the scammer when they do a search.
Posting emails on forums like this enables people to find that the emails they've received are scams, and that is half the battle. My advice is to do both :)

#2066 by ChrisSmith Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:14 pm
I'm with Benjamin on that one.
There's simply no point in trying to close down the email address that a scammer operates from - opening new accounts is so easy, they're back in business within minutes. We've then got the problem in that we have the scam coming out of multiple addresses and the whole thing gets pretty messy.
It's far better to have a scammer operate from a single address where a quick search on Google will uncover him for what he is.

#2094 by MattNW Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 pm
Yeah, shutting down an scammer's email addy is a waste of time. To shut down an email address you have to write a complaint to the email hosting website and show that they are using the account for illegal purposes. It takes less time for the scammer to open a new email account than it takes to write the complaint to the email host.
#2098 by johnny5 Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:26 am
ybo wrote:Hi scam busters..
I receive regularly 2 or more per week of the type of email I insert here below just for your enjoyment.
The question is. Usually I forward these emails to [email protected]. I wonder how good is this and if it does something to deal with these scamers? Any idea?

As already stated, it's a good idea in the sense that it's "doing something", but sadly it does more harm to you and scam baiters than it does to the scammer.
All the scammer has to do is open a new account and carry on as he did. Sure a victim might notice the address has changed and question it, but it's just a case of saying "that account got hacked" or "I moved to a new building and..." and it's business as usual.
Scambaiters however will lose track of that account which is particularly bad if they're planning a mass-bait.