Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#2074 by plam Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:43 am
I recieved an offer of employment from this company. Unfortunatly before I realized that it might be fake I had sent information like my Phone# and mailing address, but nothing else like S.S.#. Is there anything I should be worried about, like someone showing up at my home or something. This has me very freeked out!!!!!!!!!!

This is the origional email I recieved below.

Dear Mr. xxxx,
Thank you for your interest. I'd like to let you know some details about the company and the vacancy.
"TransAtlantic LTD" provides transportation service over the Europe and all the West coast of USA. The company is well known in the mining industry, we have lots of clients out of there and cooperate with major mining companies, but recently we started to expand over the private area too. The company is able to provide transportation services of any kind, like "FedEx" or "DHL", but at a much more reasonable prices. The competition in this area is very high, but still we hope to gain some success in the future.
Hopefully, with your help.
The position I want to offer you is called a Project Supervisor.
You will be responsible for the customer support. You won't have to look for new customers, just when a new client will apply to our promotional department, his application form will be forwarded to you and you will be responsible for promoting our services to this particular client, for explaining all the details related with his order, scheduling the transportation and other administrative duties.
All your contacts will be made through e-mail or phone, you don't have to meet your clients personally, unless they will ask you, but it doesn't happen often. You might also need a fax and a scanner, but don't worry if you don't have them at this moment.
Position is available everywhere in USA, as you will work at home.
If you will be able to spend 10-15 hours a week behind your computer, that would be enough. If you want to you may take more clients to work with, in this case your salary will rise.
The position is part time as you can see, you can make your own hours and combine with your full time job if you have one.
Also, at the end of 2007 we are opening few more offices and will be hiring for a full-time in-office position, so you could move from part time to full time by then, if you would like to and if there is a vacancy in your state.
Now, the position is only commission based, sorry if it disappoints you, but the good news is that you may take as many clients as you want to, so your commission depends only on how much you work.
The average contract cost varies from 3,000 - 7,000 USD, you receive
7,5 - 15% commission for it, so you can easily make $ 500 per week.
No one will limit you in the number of clients to work with, so if you want to make more commission, you are always allowed to take more projects to follow.
Payment will be sent by paycheck every two weeks.
If you have any questions, please, don't hesitate to ask. Believe me, there is nothing too difficult in this position and I will always assist you.
If you are willing to pass to our 2 week training course, please, fill in this form for me and I will call you to discuss some details:
Full name:
Address:
City, State, ZIP:
Phone:
Best time to reach you.:
E-mail:

Training will be done at home, I will send all the necessary instructions to you over the e-mail. For the training period I will assign one of our clients to you, so you will see how the work process goes. Note, that this will still be a real client, not the training one, so if he is willing to pay, you get a commission even while training. You will be able to earn money even while the training goes.
After the training, if everything is fine and you are eager to join us, I will forward you a pack of documents, including the contract, over the regular mail, which you will have to fill in and send me to become our official employee.
If anything left unclear please don't hesitate to ask.
Again, thank you for attention paid. I will be waiting for your reply.

After I stupidly sent back this with the info he requested I got another one.

Some more details about our company, on case if you are interested.

Originally, the company is based in Russian Federation and operates all over Europe since 2000.

The head office is in Saint-Petersburg, that's where I am now.

We launched our activity over USA in 2005. The head office

was situated in Atlanta, GA, but as we were expanding our services,

the company decided to move to NY. The new office will start operating

in November 2007, so we decided to launch a training program for

"stay-at-home" managers, while the head office is on the road from Atlanta to NY,

as most of clients prefer communicating through e-mails and

phones only, they don't need to come to our office.

The company is rather well known in mining industry, we have lots of clients

out of there and cooperate with major mining companies, but recently we started to expand

over the private area too. Company provides transportation services of any kind, like FedEx or DHL,

but at a much more reasonable prices. The competition level in this area is very high,

but still we hope to gain some success in the future. Hopefully, with

your help.

If you are interested in a full time position, than by 2008-2009 we

will open 7 new offices all over states, and if one of them will be opened in your

state you will get a chance to take a full-time in-office salary based position if you would like to.

If you have any questions or anything is unclear,

please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I will help you!

Hope that additional information about our company will be

interesting to you.

Thomas M. Summers, Senior HR Assistant

Atlantic Logistics LTD

BOOYA
Advertisement

#2075 by Julia Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 am
Hi plam and welcome. :D

They'll want you to bill their clients and receive payments. These payments will be in the form of fake checks or money orders. The bank may initially clear these checks, you will then send the money (usually via Western Union) to your "boss". Once the bank discovers the fraud, you will be responsible for repaying the bank. Sadly you can also be charged with a crime as attempting to cash a fraudulent check, is a crime.

Don't worry too much about the bit of personal information you passed on. These scammers are generally only interested in stealing your money. Tell them you have found other employement, then ignore all other correspondence from them.

#2093 by MattNW Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 pm
No need to worry. The information you sent isn't critical. They could have gotten that much from Google. If you haven't made them insanely angry there's little chance of them showing up at your door. No profit to be made there. Just drop them and don't respond to their emails and they'll go away.

#2111 by John Nord Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:15 pm
While you should never give your personal informaiton to a scammer, don't worry that you had sent this particular one your name and number. They may try to call or e-mail you, but when you don't respond they will go away. These greedy buggers will be off to find new potential victims and forget about you