Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#16057 by Chris Fuller Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 am
The MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number) used in this email is not the MTCN of a genuine transaction. Sometimes, however, a scammer will send a minimum amount of money (to himself or to a friend) by Western Union, in order to generate a real MTCN. That MTCN, along with the sender's name, can then be entered on the 'Tracking' page of the Western Union website, resulting in a message that the money is available for collection.

The scammer hopes that this will reassure the recipient of an email like this that the thousands or millions of dollars (or euros or pounds or any other currency) are indeed at Western Union waiting for them.

But - whether the given MTCN is genuine or not - there is no money awaiting the recipient of this type of email. The scammer will invent a fee or a payment that needs to be paid before the (non-existent) money can be collected. Please do not pay the scammer any fees. There is no money at Western Union for you. It is a scam.

IP Address: 41.184.28.18 - Lagos, Nigeria

from WESTERN UNION <[email protected]>
reply-to [email protected]
date Mon, Nov 9, 2009
subject YOUR PAYMENT SENT TO YOU

Hello My Dear

I already sent you USD6,000.00 dollars through Western union as we have been given the mandate to transfer your full compensation payment total sum of USD 850,000.00 via western union by this governemnt.I was calling your telephone number to give you the information through phone but you did not pick up my calls throughout that yesterday even this morning.

Now I decided to email you the MTCN and sender name so that you will pick up this USD6,000.00 to enable us send another USD6,000.00 today as you know we will be sending you only USD6,000.00 per day.Please pick up this information and run to western union to pick up the USD6,000.00 and call me back to send you another payment today,

My direct phone is Phone number +2347029388857
Email: [email protected]
Please call me or email me once you picked up this USD6,000.00 today.
Here is the western union information to pick up the USD6,000.00

MTCN :5202120370
Sender's Name:TERRY COOL
Test Question: HONEST
Answer:TRUST.
Amount:USD6,000.00
CITY Lagos
Country Nigeria

I am waiting for your call once you pick up this USD6,000.00, Please email me your direct telephone number because I need to be calling you once we send any payment for the informations.
Thanks
Mr Gabriel Nnamdi
Advertisement