Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#2395 by Whatever Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:28 am
I received an email from Fred Jekins proposing his scam to me. It was a blatant scam and I didn't have the energy for another one. Within a couple of emails of Freds email, I received an email from Pat McNair saying he was spreading the word about this dude. I found Pat's timing suspicious. He listed this site below his name as if he was affiliated with the site. I have made contact with him and he suggest that I contact you to validate his identity. It's unfortunate in an odd sort of way but his first email made me suspicious of this site as well. I think there may be legit people on here but now I am suspicious of this site because I sent an email to the admin contact on the home page about Pat and no one has responded. Thought I would get this posted in the event this is a fake site and if nothing else, at least a few people might read it before it gets deleted. This just seems like an odd set up. Strikes me as a front of a front of a front.
Advertisement

#2396 by ChrisSmith Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:35 am
Hi Whatever.

No. We're not a fake site. We don't ask for money and we don't ask you for your personal details when you sign up here. Also, take a look around. Wouldn't the fact that we publicise scams and advise people on how to avoid them be rather an odd thing for a bunch of scammers to do?!!!

Suspicion is a good thing to have but direct it at the right people. Look at it this way: if you'd used that suspicion on the scammer trying to steal from you, we wouldn't have had to make the warning would we? 8)

You can also go to any other anti-scamming website on the internet and ask about us if you still have doubts. Of course, they could all be scammers too!!!! :shock:

#2397 by Ed Williams Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:38 am
The scammers aren't know to set up fake anti-scam forums either. Laziness is their middle name (plus most of the posts would be illegible :wink: ) There's no harm in being over cautious and your post wouldn't be deleted for that. As Chris says, ask on some other sites about us, they'll verify we are legit but the biggest give away of all is that we don't want your money

edit: edited due to pedantic chris' point below :lol:
Last edited by Ed Williams on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#2398 by ChrisSmith Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:44 am
I'd just like to be a little bit pedantic there Ed. :P
Some scammers do set up fake forums. Hunt for Slayerfaith's last post and you can see that she's posted a list of scamming forums.
What gives them away though is that they are all "financial" in outlook. They require the victim to post personal and financial details.

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147

#2399 by Tom Sanders Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:28 am
Yes, Pat is one of our warners.

If you're still suspicious, I'd encourage you to take the emails from the scammer, Fred Jekins, and the warnings from Pat down to your local police. Show them the emails, show them this site, and then ask them who you should believe.