Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#2527 by stern08 Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 pm
From:[email protected],"Raymond James" <raymondtextiles>
[Add to Address Book]

Subject:Re: newyork.backpage.com: (accounting/financial jobs): Dispatcher Needed Urgently
Date:Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:40:47 PM
[View Source]
Hello Marc,

Thank You very much for replying to my offer
I am so glad you reply and i must say you are the 4th person to reply the offer

Let me briefly explain what your duties will be and what you will get as your income?

Firstly, You must be computer litrate and will have to get a printer, you will be able to keep the company;s record and account booking keeping
Your job is to email check and receive some payment for the company. You will be giving everything you need
A check book will be emailed to you and if its to print a check we will explain it to you or send to you checks to send to the client as their salary

You will be giving the Fedex or UPS account to ship checks to other client who are receiving the checks from us, You are working as the Paying Agent.

Secondly, Your income will be monthly basis and you will be earning 1,000$ Monthly

SO for you to sign up, Please email me this information
Full Name
Address:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Phone Number
Scanned Passport
Resume

I will be looking forward to reading from you

Thanks
Raymond
Advertisement

#2531 by Pat Hamilton Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:50 pm
Yes, slightly different script but it's the same type of scam. They will send you fake cheques to cash and ask you so send the money via Western Union/Moneygram to a third party (the scammer) and the bank will come after you for a refund when the cheque eventually bounces.

#2538 by Underwater Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:32 am
This one actually sounds like they might want you to PRINT checks! This is one method they sometimes use to get their fake checks sent to other victims. They'll have you print out their fake checks for them, convincing you that the checks are drawing off their real bank accounts (which they're not - they are worth nothing more than the paper you'd print them on). Then they'd have you send a bunch of them out to other victims who think they are acting as "payment representatives" receiving payments from customers. The victims will cash these checks and wire the money to the scammers. When the checks eventually bounce, the other victim is out the money - and you're the one the police come to, for sending out the fake check. The local authorities can't get to the scammers, who are most likely located in West Africa...so guess who goes gets arrested for check fraud?

Remember, legitimate businesses don't let strangers they hire through the internet deal with accounting, billing, payments, checks etc. They don't have strangers printing checks for them, or handling their money. They don't use Western Union or other untraceable money transfer services. There are all classic hallmarks of an employment scam.

#2658 by MattNW Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:55 am
This one is a nasty set up. You'll be doing the forgery for the scammers so when the checks bounce the police will be at your door with a search warrant and they'll find all kinds of evidence to convict you. You'll have the image files for the fake checks plus the paper the checks are printed on will match the paper from the forged checks the other victims deposited in the bank. The scammers will walk away free with a pile of money while you do hard time for forgery.