Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#123633 by wzzit Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:59 pm
I've been exchanging emails with a man subletting an apartment in downtown SF named Wayne Starks ([email protected]). Long story short, I found out he was a scammer (he's subletting apartments all over the country, and other users have named him as a scammer). Unfortunately, I gave him my personal information when I filled out the following "rental application form":

1)Your Full Name ?
2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone ?
3)How old are you ?
4)Are you married ?
5)Occupation ?
6)Current rent payment ?
7)Reason for moving out ?
8 )How many people will be living in the Apartment?
9)The rent fee available now ?
10)How long are you willing to stay ?
11)When do you intend to move in ?
12)Do you have a pet ?
13)Do you smoke ?
14)How many Month or Year Do you want to Stay?
15)Deposit : One or Two month Deposit are required?
16)Occupant Picture?
17)Reference Details?

I gave my name, age, email address, current living address, phone number, employment history, reference details, and personal photograph. He doesn't have any financial information or my social security number. Can this person screw me in any way? I've placed a fraud alert on my credit report, submitted a report to IC3 and the FTC, and am on my way to the local police department to file a report. What else should I do to protect myself?
Advertisement

#123706 by Bubbles Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners wzzit. There isn't a lot the scammer can do without your banking information. They may use your name and photo in a future scam. There is not much you can do about that. Typically, scammers want your money more than they want your address, photo or name. Their goal is to get as much money with as little work as possible.

Having your accounts monitored is a good idea.

Thank you for posting this information for others to find too. The scammer is really not subletting anything. He has taken information from real rentals and uses that information to scam people looking for a real apartment. Obviously be cautious about giving your information out to someone who you are dealing with by email.

There are real rental application forms that a legitimate landlord or rental firm should use. Many of the questions scammers gave to you are actually illegal for a legitimate landlord to ask. Asking for a photo is also not allowed. Asking if you are married is also not allowed.

In the future, if in any doubt, drop post a message here and we will help you sort it out.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#123711 by wzzit Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:13 am
Thank you for the reply. It is a great relief to me to know that the scammer probably won't be able to cause financial damage.

How much damage could he cause by using my name and picture in a future scam? For example, if he gets caught using my identity and is reported to the authorities, will it affect me in any way?

I wish I'd found this forum earlier! The scammer followed all the usual red flags: broken english, a request for money transactions via Western Union, claims of having recently moved to another state, etc.
#123720 by Bryon Williams Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 am
@wzzit,

The chances of the scammer using your information is very unlikely. Yes, it is possible. One photograph and name is not that helpful to a scammer.

As Bubbles stated scammers want money not your information.

To make the mind at ease:
Print your email exchanges with the scammer and save. On occasion use google and other search engines searching your name and information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#349107 by Courageg26 Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 am
Hey Wzzit,

Out of curiosity did anything every happen? Something like that recently happened to me.

Thank you!

wzzit wrote:Thank you for the reply. It is a great relief to me to know that the scammer probably won't be able to cause financial damage.

How much damage could he cause by using my name and picture in a future scam? For example, if he gets caught using my identity and is reported to the authorities, will it affect me in any way?

I wish I'd found this forum earlier! The scammer followed all the usual red flags: broken english, a request for money transactions via Western Union, claims of having recently moved to another state, etc.
#349118 by AlanJones Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:03 am
This topic is over 5 years old. It is very unlikely that the OP will return or even remember what happened.

Your questions appear to have already been answered 5 years ago.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.