Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#22626 by downwithscammers Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:24 pm
I came across this Ad for a decent priced Iphone. (i think it got deleted, or i would have it posted it)

Well anyway here are his emails:

Re: Reply to your "Brand New Black Apple iPhone 32GB 3Gs For Sale, Genuine!" Ad on Gumtree?
Medium riskYou may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Monday, 15 February 2010 12:33:54 AM

I can send Via Express Post for an extra $10.00

Here are my payment details

BSB:122-748
Account:21375532
Amount:$660.00
Adam Shawe

Just email me proof of payment and your address and Ill get it off to you straight away

cheers

Re: Reply to your "Brand New Black Apple iPhone 32GB 3Gs For Sale, Genuine!" Ad on Gumtree?
Sent: Monday, 15 February 2010 12:47:45 AM

I dont use paypal anymore, http://www.paypalsucks.com lol

I do understand where your coming from, but you need to understand that you do have my bank details, so if I decide to run with your money, the police can very easily find and charge me with fraud, as I did need 100pts of id to open my account, and I dont want a fraud charge for such a small amount of money hehe

Sent: Monday, 15 February 2010 1:19:42 AM

889319733NR
Imei:011952000461706

australian, not locked

Sent: Monday, 15 February 2010 1:56:05 AM

lol, its ok, i can wait till the morning. So I can tell other people its sold?

Sent: Monday, 15 February 2010 9:35:51 AM

the funds will be in my account tonight, so I can post it tomorrow morning express, so you will have it no later than Wednesday morning

I emailed twice, but haven't got a reply thus far. I should have known better. Well what should i do from here? Should i wait it out another week or email one last time?

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS. Well im from Australia, if that helps as well.
Advertisement

#22630 by Dan Jones Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:10 pm
This doesn't read like a standard phone lad scam, but that doesn't mean it's legit.
I'm pretty sure at least one of our regular staff is Australian, so they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Personally, I think this might be a case of waiting for a few days to see what happens. It could all be a bit of bad timing and you'll get your phone soon.
EDIT: If you do get this sorted, please tell us, so we can delete this.

The bank details relate to this bank:
BSB Number: 122-748
Bank Code: 12 | State code: 2 | Branch code: 748
Institution: Bank of Queensland Limited
Branch Name: 10 Spring Street
1/10 Spring Street
Sydney
NSW
#22669 by Ralph Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:37 am
I cant be sure on this but from what I can tell it looks like it is legit.

The add being gone now is a good sign, if it were a scam the phone would be relisted.

Regardless of if it is a scam or not, there is little else you can do but wait and hope the phone arrives.

If it was sent express post, he should be able to provide a number which you couls ask about at your local post office
#23255 by Ralph Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 pm
It cant do any harm to contact the ACCC, they handle online fraud as well as non performing companies, you can contact them through their website or you can phone them, I dont have the contact details handy but they are not going to be difficult to find.

For our official government fraud help organisation they dont have a lot of current information but they should be able to at least let you know if you are dealing with a legitimate company and if it is a scam they will add your case to their statistical data, not much help to you but they may be more einclined to to more if they have more people come forward to report these scams
#23262 by The Enchantress Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm
Cache of advert - for information purposes.

Please let us know how this turns out DWS.

We will remove any information/details from the forums to protect innocent parties.

Link you need http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/54217

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#23282 by The Enchantress Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:48 am
Sorry - no phone number that I can locate.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.