Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#3039 by Chris Martins Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:45 pm
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:45 PM
To: [your email account]
Subject: CONTRACT/INHERITANCE PAYMENT !!!

HSBC BANK UNITED KINGDOM THE WORLDS LOCAL BANK.
P O Box 1010
Liverpool, L70 1NL
UNITED KINGDOM
(Customer Services)
Ref:UK/9420X2/68 Oluwa is 2 Much.
Batch:074/05/ZY369

Greetings: Fund Beneficiary: [Your Name Here],

Following the protest of the International Community, The World Bank,IMF and the instruction by her royal majesty (Queen Elizabeth the II)that all outstanding foreign debts especially next of kin and contract payments should be released to the beneficiaries forthwith unconditionally.

We hereby confirmed receipt of part payment of US$10M dollars only,into our official ESCROW account with the HSBC Bank in London by order of the Central Newly Introduced 2007 Settlement Of Debt Scheme (SDS)in charge of Foreign Debt Recovery Committee on Overdue Contract / Next of Kin payments in Africa, as indicated in our database.

From the records of outstanding debts due for payment with the Federal government of Nigeria your name was discovered as next on the list of the outstanding, who have not received their payments.

We wish to inform you that your payment is being processed and will be Released to you as soon as you respond to this letter. Also note that from Dollars).our bank has suffered a lot of loss because of debts owed internationally,the 2007 budget has the payment order and you are approved and scheduled for payment immediately,forthwith and unconditionally,your funds would hit your account in the next 24 hours as soon as you meet the requirements for the payment.

Kindly provide us with the below information by Tel # +447031907265,or Email:[email protected] to reconfirm your details in our database for immediate remittance into your designated account;
A)
Beneficiary name:....................................................
Address:.................................................
Tel:....................................................
Fax:....................................................
Receiving Bank:.........................................
Address:...............................................
Bank Routing Number:..................................
Swift Code:............................................
Account number:......................................
B)1) Your full name......................................
2) Phone, fax and mobile....................................
3) company name, position and address............................
4)profession, age and marital status..............................
5) Copy of int'l passport,drivers linsense,or any valid ID card.

We sincerely apologize for the delays and advice you to STOP any further communication with your associate in any of the African countries for they contributed 100% hindrances to the release of your funds. Our finalfund release order will be forwarded to our operational paying bank, the HSBC Bank in London, UK for immediate transfer of your allocation into your designated account upon receipt and official re-confirmation of your information in our database.

Note:We only pay through Direct bank to bank Wire transfer.

Your full co-operation is fully required , as this might be the only available payment order for the year.

Note: Fund will be retrieved to treasury after ten (10) business days of this notice.

Yours in service,

Mrs. Stella Hill.
Manager, Foreign operations Dept.

Best Regards

Mike Anderson
MANAGER HSBC BANK LIVERPOOL U.K
[email protected]

This is a classic advance fee scam. They may offer to create an account and provide you with an ATM card to access it. Of course, there will be endless fees, excuses, and more fees.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Advertisement

#3042 by thebandit Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:24 pm
These people will also threaten you with calling the law on you if you turn them into the law and say you are slandering them.

#3053 by Chris Martins Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 am
^^ Very true. In general, they will say or do anything they can think of to make themselves sound legitimate and convince their victims to cooperate.

Sadly it works. Some victims see that kind of confidence as proof that the scammers are legitimate. We usually think of criminals as people who try to keep a low profile and stay anonymous. Internet scammers don't have to worry about that because they know they are untraceable. Why hide when you're already invisible?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3056 by ChrisSmith Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 pm
Not only will they threaten you with the law, but they may even come after you pretending to be the law.
I've seen one chap switch onto the scam and then told that if he didn't comply, he would be sued in a UK Court.

SIR

URGENT AND IMPORTANT

THIS IS TO TELL YOU THAT THE STEP THAT YOU ARE INSTIGATING WILL NOT FAVOUR YOU.

I HAVE JUST RECEIVED A SUMMONS TO APPERAR IN THE CIVIL CASE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR ATTORNEY HAS LODGED.

I DONT KNOW WHY HE HAS SINGLED ME OUT AS A PERSON. THE MONEY HE GAVE ME THROUGH VIA HIS REPRESENTATIVE IN LONDON WAS PAID INTO THE HOME OFFICE AND CANNOT BE CONSTRUED AS PERSONALLY ACCRUING TO ME.HE SHOULD AT LEAST INVOLVE THE ENTIRE BANK IF HE WANTS TO SUE.

SIR, YOU HAVE NOT MADE ANY EFFORTS TO COLLECT YOUR FUNDS THIS PAST FEW WEEKS. WHAT IS HAPPENING?

AWAITING YOUR RESPONSE.
BEST REGARDS

BILL ALLEN

And from the "barrister" who was another member of the scamming gang.

Sir,

It comes to me as a disappointment the kind of dutch courage that you can exhibit when you feel that you are right

However, you are highly mistaken if you think that I have no leg to stand on. You are in the USA and most of the expenses and transactions took place in England, countries where emails can be accepted as proof of contractual agreements.

I suggest that you go through the entire emails communications that we have had and you would see that we have in fact a valid contractual agreement which you breached by pulling out of your transfer before completion.

You insist that we are all fraudulent. Who is that misnomer that writes you that crap. If you can send me his email contact so that maybe I can settle this once and for all with him because I am thinking of joining two of you when I sue you for slander.

Just wait for my own reactions.

Barr. Segun Olanipeku (SAN)

He was then issued with a Court Summons from a fake address pretending to be a law court in the UK. Note: This letter contained official looking headers and looked very convincing but I haven't included them here

*MAGISTRATE COURT **
**CIVIL DIVISION*

*COURT 3**
**Before MR JUSTICE SULLIVAN**
**Monday 29 October, 2007**
*FOR HEARING

*IN THE MAGISTRATE COURT OF ENGLAND COURT OF ENGLAND*

*IN THE COURT 3 CIVIL DIVISION*

*HOLDEN AT LONDON*

Suit no: HMC/454/TORTM12 /P122/

*NOTIFICATION OF PROCEEDINGS*

Between

Barrister Segun Olanipeku (SAN)
Plaintiff

Olanipeku Chambers Nigeria

*Mr. .....*

*Mr. Bill Allen
Defendants*

*Barclays Bank UK Plc*

In the matter of tort, breach of contract and defamation of character being sued for the sum of (USD$450,000, (Four Hundred And Fifty Thousand United States Dollars) as damages and due compensation for the loses, monetary, reputation and mental anguish the defendant has suffer at the hands of the defendants.

The defendant alleges that the fist defendant Mr...... engaged him to act on his behalf to secure the transfer of his funds from a compensation settlement with a cheque deposited with the zenith bank Nigeria plc.

That the Plaintiff has undertaken the job and has fulfilled the terms of his agreement by successful securing the said transfer out of Nigeria to Barclays Bank UK as the correspondent bank to Zenith bank plc.

That Mr. Bill Allen of Barclays Bank plc by his conduct and email inferred and convinced the plaintiff to part with sums of money to wit 1530 pounds. That Barclays bank by their conduct and emails have shown abuse in handling of the transaction by the usage of the transfer funds for business other than a straight through transfer necessitating the taxation the home office has placed on the tax.

That Mr...... based on impressions that he has received from parties within or without terminated the contractual agreement as evidenced by the email communications between him and the plaintiff and has then gone on a campaign maligning the plaintiffs' image and hence slandering the image of his chambers.

That the plaintiff is hereby seeking redress for damages suffered as a result of the actions of the defendants to the tune of (USD$450,000, (Four hundred and fifty thousand united states dollars) being the funds currently lodged in Barclays bank UK and seeks that the funds be immediately credited to him to offset his loses.

Upon the petition of the above named party filed on the 29th day of October 2007 preferred unto the court and upon hearing John Macintosh (Q.C.) of Kavanaugh Chambers with him are Mr. John Greenling Esq., Miss Danielle Hodgkin Esq. of Kavanaugh Chambers counsel to the Plaintiff and upon reading the said petition and accompanying affidavit of Barrister Segun Olanipeku (SAN) filed and verifying the said petition of 29th day of October 2007, the gazette of 26th October 2007 containing the advertisement of said intention to sue, this court hereby orders as follows:-

1) That the defendant to wit Mr......., Mr. Bill Allen and Barclays Bank UK forward Their counter affidavit and intention to defend post haste to the court.

2) That funds (USD$450,000, (Four hundred and fifty thousand united states dollars) currently being held in Barclays bank plc pending transfer be immediately be seized indefinitely until the determination is found in the matter.

3) That whereby the defendants fail to supply their defense expediently that judgment will be entered in the plaintiffs favour and the entire damage and redress be awarded.

4) That the defendants are hereby prohibited from making allegations and other such accusations

Six days later the fake judgement documents were sent to him, telling him to pay up or go to jail.
Even after the victim told them to go to hell, they wouldn't take no for an answer and they continued trying to scam him for at least another two months.

#3060 by bill_b3llo Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm
This is why we urge victims to stop all communications with the scammer. It only fuels the fire, and can sometimes lead to more losses.
#3074 by thebandit Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:04 pm
I jsut seen this email.

P O Box 1010
Liverpool, L70 1NL
UNITED KINGDOM
(Customer Services)
Ref:UK/9420X2/68

Dear: Mr. ...............,

Thanks for your mail to me, Please Contact Dr. Martins first and he will direct you on how you are going to receive the money.

I will keep you updated.Have a nice day
Thanks,

Mike Anderson
#3075 by thebandit Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:07 pm
This is another one of their fax email addresses.

P O Box 1010
Liverpool, L70 1NL
UNITED KINGDOM
(Customer Services)

Dear: Mr........,

You can make request of an ATM Card through the Atm card department of our bank at [email protected] requesting for an ATM CARD.Also youcan transfer your fund to any of our branches of your choice worldwide.

I will keep you updated.Have a nice day

Mike Anderson
#3076 by thebandit Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:10 pm
This one is funny.

P O Box 1010
Liverpool, L70 1NL
UNITED KINGDOM
(Customer Services)

Dear: Mr. .........,

I will get Brendan informed about when you will be making the payment as assured.And,in respect to your question about he Finance Ministry. Brendan is in a better position to explain to you further about the Ministry of Finance operation with HSBC as it is his department that works directly with them which he is the Head of online Transfer Remittance.

Though, I will enquire for him detailed analysis of the structure of transfer certification modalities with the Ministry of Finance.

I will keep you updated. Have a nice day

Mike Anderson