Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#3257 by low67vdubinnocal Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:07 pm
Job for students, home-workers and people
which have free 2-3 hours a day.
Dear xxxx xxxxx

We're glad to offer you a position in our company ETAlliance.
We help a charity organizations to collect money from sponsors.
We help and support the community in all over the world to help children of all ages.
ETAlliance is an organization which supported by donations.
You can earn money and help children with us. We are looking for freelance representatives.
ETAlliance receive donations in all over the world,
you have a possibility to become a "Freelance representative" of our company.
You do not need any funds to work and you do not need to find anybody.
We hire people for freelance work.
You can combine it with your full-time work, 2-3 hours a day are required from you.
The salary is 450 - 3000 USD per week.
If you have an interest to our proposition and have a desire to help children
send your reply to [email protected].
Our manager will send you more information about the job and the terms of employment.
REPLY TO [email protected]
Bob Wilson
ETAlliance.
Poland
Nowoursynowska st. 119,
02-776 Warsawa
Charity Registration No.: 101682
Company Registration No.: 2350841

We hope to work with you!

--
Best regards,
Bob Wilson, Employment manager
ETAlliance [email protected]

I get the fake monster jobs every now and then but never any from gmail.
Advertisement

#3258 by SlayerFaith Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:44 pm
100% bog standard cheque mule scam, mate. They want people to use their personal bank account to cash fake cheques and send on 90% or so via Western Union. When the cheques come back fake, the victim is on the hook for the entire amount and may even be arrested on cheque kiting charges. :evil:

#3332 by Ted Baker Mon May 05, 2008 3:29 pm
Hi there.

I can assure you that this is 100% fake.

I deliberately communication with a scammer after receiving an almost identical email. Other than the company name it was almost word for word.

I even received a cheque from a supposed donor. I still have the cheque, I framed it and hung it on my wall. It is a beautiful fake. Even on close examination it looks real. The paper is correct, the printing is correct.
My bank thought it was real until I told them my suspicions. It was only after they contacted the issuing bank and checked the account details did they discover it was fake.

So whatever you do, DO NOT get into deals with these people. If you did and you passed the cheque for payment, you would find yourself in trouble, both financially and legally.

Stay safe.

#3665 by mehoffnm Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:06 am
I just read this thread and felt I needed to contribute. I got the same email as above and even though I was skeptical, I followed their instructions. Where I am now is I see that the company has made a direct deposit, from another bank, into my account, and I am waiting for it to post. After it posts, I will need to make a transfer to another bank. My question is how can this direct deposit be fake? Its not a check and therefore, the funds would have to be available in the origination account for the funds to be transfered to me, right? In addition, my bank has a hold on the funds until the funds can be verified. This will take 4 days. It seems that fraud could be detected within that period of time.

I did send an email back to Manager and request more information about the company. I will get back to you after I see what happens or if the Manager sends me something to clear this company's name.

#3666 by benjamin Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:12 am
When it's done via a bank to bank transfer, it could be account "flashing" which means it could be paid in at the other bank with a stolen or fake check. It works the same way as if you'd paid in the check - eventually the check will bounce and the money in your account will disappear. That's the most likely scenario but there are others as well such as money laundering.
Edit: and often fraud takes a lot longer than four days to discover, it can be weeks or even months.

Also you have to ask yourself - why do they need a third party to transfer money, any legitimate company can receive their own funds and make their own payments.
Last edited by benjamin on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#3667 by mehoffnm Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:14 am
Should I hold onto the cash for a longer period of time? Maybe wait until I receive something back from the company? What would you suggest?

#3668 by benjamin Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:18 am
I would suggest not touching the money at all, ever, and notifying your bank that you've found out it's a scam.

Edit: Where are my manners! Welcome :)

#3669 by Ralph Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:31 pm
Hi Mehoffnm and welcome

As Benjamin has mentioned it is a scam and my best guess is account flashing, scammer gains bank account details belonging to somebody else, he then finds a suitable "mule" who will accept the funds, funds are deposited into your account and soon after are cleared for withdrawal, at this stage you are to forward money onto the scammer, meanwhile the owner of the account will (eventually )realise that money is missing from their account and notify their bank, the bank finds out the money is in your account and notifies the police, police knock on your door and you not only have to replace the money but may also end up in trouble for fraud.

Contact your bank immediately and let them know what has happened, it's also not a bad idea to make a report to the police, be sure to get a copy of the report in case they lose it, being up front will go a long way to proving you are a victim if they start asking questions.

As for the scammer/s you are dealing with, cease all contact immediately, ignore or better still block their email addresses, expect emails from "the police" or "FBI" this is another tactic that scammers use, pretending to be the police to get you to forward the money.

If the details and emails you received are different to those posted, pease copy the email here which may prevent others from being scammed.

Now that the scammers have your bank details they may also be able to remove money from your bank account, be sure to tell your bank and ask them to change your account details as well.

This scam has potential to cause great harm, I am glad you found out about it before sending any money to the scammers

You should also keep in mind that if the original emailer has introduced you to anybody, those people will be part of the same group if not the same scammer.

Scammers often use multiple charactors in their scams, it makes them seem more credible, another ploy they use is for one of the charactors to tell you they have paid some of the fees already and now you need to come up with some money as well.

#3673 by ChrisSmith Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:18 am
mehoffnm.

As Ralph says, inform your bank immediately.
Do not try to draw on the payment. If you do, you could be looking at criminal charges. Even though it's not your fault, some banks are either very ignorant or are just plain vindictive and will try to prosecute if you attempt to drag dirty money out of your account.