Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#25536 by mahafakir Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:51 pm
There are so many types of scams and they all start with an Email. Like he has a factory in London and his customers pay be Visa or fed ex checks that can't be cashed in London. They are useless. He wants you to receive the checks cash them and keep 10% and wire the rest the same day. This is a scam. You can't cash. The bank will only let you cash if you have sufficient balance to cover the withdrawal. Like if you deposit $3,000 and try to withdraw $2700 right away but have no bank balance the bank will not give you any cash. In other words you are withrawing from your balance not from the checks you deposited. The checks will bounce and you'll have lost $2700 plus some $200 for depositing fake checks. Remember if a check bounces you'll have to pay about $30 toi $50 for each bounced check. Now there is a variation of this check cashing. You are given the job of a mystery shopper. H 'd start by asking $400 AND YTOU ARE TOLD YOU"LL GET THE JOB> The point is you'll get the job even if you do not pay $400. Then he will send you your first assignment. Cash a check of %4000 that he has sent you and cash $3600. Remember you deposited $4000. You cashed only $3600. So you think you have $400. He wants you to go to Western Union the same day and wire it to some body. He does not give his address or real name. He gives a fake name, a real City, Real Country A qustion and an Answer. That is all you need to wire the money to some body. The man to whom you wired the money does not need an Id. Just the Question and answer you used and a ten Digit number Western Union Gives You (it is called MTCN). You are supposed to email MTCN to the man who gave you the job of mystery Shopping. The rrest is baa humbag. He asks you to observe lots of things that he does not care about. He does not care if you used your cell phone to transfer the money and do not give the name of the Western Uion Clerk. The check you received was false and you'll loose the money plus fine for cashing fake check. But the fine is less than $50 since you cashed only one check. Not like the others who send you five or six visa checks. I've gotten lots of checks. I deposited only once. I lost bank fines. But I'm not a fool. I do not cash any money until money is cleared.
Advertisement

#26958 by avenging_angel Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 am
customers pay be Visa or fed ex checks that can't be cashed in London

That is a good indicator, any business would make sure that customers payments couyld be paid into the company account. After that blatent lie everything else is suspect and rightly so.