Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#26504 by Eazy G Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 am
Hi,

I have just been conned out of £1,800. I have the companies website, their bank details and an email address. is there any way I can find out more about who they are from just these details?

I have used this company in the past for much smaller transactions, but since this one, and no delivery of the goods, I am getting no replies to my emails. Does anyone have any ideas on how i can possibly get my money back or at least find out the contact details of these people?

thanks if anyone can help.

Greg.
Advertisement

#26506 by GomerPyle Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 am
Let's start with a website address.

The website will disclose a lot of information and enable a lot more enquiries to be made.

It will also depend on what country the company is located. It's usually quite easy to get information on UK companies for instance.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#26509 by Arnold Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 am
As you have dealt with them previously successfully, it may not be a scam. It could be poor customer service, ot a genuine business suddenly in financial trouble.
As GP said, we need more details to advise you further. By PM, if you don't want to identify the website in an open forum.

#26510 by Eazy G Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 am
Hi,

the web address is http://www.4-mmc.com

the reason i think it is a scam is the product they are selling will be illegal tomorrow. i think they are just shutting up shop and getting whatever money they can. :(
#26514 by Eazy G Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 am
Arnold wrote:
is the product they are selling will be illegal tomorrow.

Which would seem to be what you intended to do. 1kg is hardly for personal use, is it?

no, it was supposed to be delivered yesterday, someone was going to buy it from me for twice the price today... but thats besides the point. I still got conned :(

So is there anything I can do or am i to be judged by what the product in question was?
#26518 by GomerPyle Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 am
This was the information I got when I did a WHOIS search on the website.

Not a lot of help as they clearly want to remain anonymous.

Registrant:
Contactprivacy.com
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA

Domain name: 4-MMC.COM

Administrative Contact:
contactprivacy.com, [email protected]
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA
+1.4165385457
Technical Contact:
contactprivacy.com, [email protected]
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA
+1.4165385457

Registration Service Provider:
[email protected]
08709126612 (fax)
http://www.123-reg.co.uk
This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 17-Dec-2009.
Record expires on 06-Jul-2010.
Record created on 06-Jul-2009.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
http://tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
NS.123-REG.CO.UK
NS2.123-REG.CO.UK

Domain status: clientTransferProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited

This domain's privacy is protected by contactprivacy.com. To reach the domain contacts, please go to http://www.contactprivacy.com and follow the instructions.

If you paid by credit card, or possibly even debit card you have the possibility of making a claim. It's harder with a Debit Card and is known a s a Charge Back. Normally your bank will want to see evidence that you have made every reasonable effort to get what you asked for and tried to obtain a refund yourself. The fact of what the goods are WILL affect their attitude I'm afraid.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
#26533 by GomerPyle Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 pm
There could be a valid reason in view of the impending law change, so if you can contact the person in some way, you may find out better what's going on.

The reason that your usual methods of redress are not going to be so effective may also make him/them more keen not to have anyone kick up a fuss, and you have useful information in the form of bank details.

You may do better by employing some calm and reasoned bargaining in this case.

Whether or not you can use that information is going to depend on the chances that anyone you take the information to, may decide to take action against you. That's what you'd need to consider carefully.

The bad scenario is that these people may have gone for the 'scoop as much money as possible and run' option before the ban becomes effective, but you won't know for sure unless you can contact them in some way.

#26601 by Arnold Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 am
I was under the impression that while the ban starts today, imports were banned last week. As you say, you still seem to have been scammed, but the nature of the transaction is one that you may be reluctant to report it officially. And even if you do, your chances of getting your money back is probably poor. Scammers almost always get away with it.

#26793 by Dmanbmk Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:43 pm
Same thing happened to me got my money back after threatening legal action. This is the email I recieved earlier

Hi

Your refund payment has been made. The problem was that there was a breakdown of communication between your bank and ours and we had no way of reconciling your payment. Also, we had 3 other people claiming that your payment was theirs.

Thanks

Kate
#26796 by Ralph Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm
Hi Dmanbmk

Welcome to Scamwarners.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience, lets hope that the others who are owed money get a similiar result.
#26821 by Eazy G Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 am
Dmanbmk wrote:Same thing happened to me got my money back after threatening legal action. This is the email I recieved earlier

Hi

Your refund payment has been made. The problem was that there was a breakdown of communication between your bank and ours and we had no way of reconciling your payment. Also, we had 3 other people claiming that your payment was theirs.

Thanks

Kate

Similar Situation! Finally after many emails I got a reply. here's what I got...

Hi...

Unfortunately due to personal problems that developed here yesterday (Wednesday) I am no longer able to fulfil your order.

It is now too late to send out your order for it to arrive in time before tomorrow the 16th.

I have destroyed all the remaining stock.

Please can you provide your banking details and I will refund your money back into your bank account.

Please provide:

Bank sorting code
Bank account number
Name of Bank account holder.

Please accept my apologies for the hassle this has caused.

Kate

I have checked my bank and the money came back thoday. *phew*

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.