Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
Advertisement

#3487 by Dan Jones Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 am
Could you post the full email with headers / ad you got the details from please.

Google gave me this one (below), which is from our sister site. Is yours similar? If so it is a cheque/job scam. I will email her now and post more info here in a minute.

EDIT: Basically, a job scam works like this. You will receive fake cheques. You cash them and deduct your share, sending the rest on to her through Western Union/Moneygram. Both are untraceable. When the cheque finally bounces, you will be left holding the haggis and being quite in debt.

New UK banking laws state that after 6 days the money can't be removed from your account, but that just means banks can force you to stop banking with them and report you to the police.

Well done on finding out that this is a scam. Please read up on the many other varieties that exist.

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.142.194.9 with SMTP id r9cs120374wff;
Tue, 27 May 2008 04:55:50 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.66.249.20 with SMTP id w20mr2037434ugh.67.1211889349486;
Tue, 27 May 2008 04:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <mrmorsen>
Received: from smtp-3.orange.nl (smtp-3.orange.nl [193.252.22.243])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id u14si1197474gvf.6.2008.05.27.04.55.48;
Tue, 27 May 2008 04:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 193.252.22.243 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of [email protected]) client-ip=193.252.22.243;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 193.252.22.243 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of [email protected]) [email protected]
Received: from me-wanadoo.net (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by mwinf6204.orange.nl (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 4AF501C0008C
for <xxx>; Tue, 27 May 2008 13:55:48 +0200 (CEST)
Received: from dhcp-077-250-148-158.chello.nl (unknown [62.234.209.103])
by mwinf6204.orange.nl (SMTP Server) with SMTP id 69F931C00082
for <xxx>; Tue, 27 May 2008 13:55:33 +0200 (CEST)
X-ME-UUID: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Job Offer.
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-3"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-ID: <RC>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:55:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I am Mr. Taylor Warren, the International Recruiting officer for Havoc Consultancy Group;

I am offering you a Job offer with our establishment that deals in the Import and export of Cocoa butter cream, Rubber, Cotton, textiles and fabric materials which is based in the United States.
We are looking for a trustworthy representative in the United Kingdom on behalf of Havoc Consultancy Group that will aid as a link between our company (Havoc Consultancy Group) and our customers in Europe for getting and remitting payments.

I would like to know if you are interested, respond only if you will like to work from home (part-time) and get paid weekly without leaving or affecting your present job.

(PAY IS GOOD) if you are interested, forward the following information to
Mrs. Sarah Remington the Recruiting offer of Havoc Consultancy Group to the email address below:
[email protected]

FULL NAME:
PHONE NUMBER (S):
D.O.B (applicants should be 18 and above):
PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION HELD:

We would be expecting your email ASAP if you are interested to know more about your prospective job with Havoc Consultancy Group.

Contract of Employment will be forward as soon as you are appointed as our representative.
NOTE: Forward your replies to Mrs. Sarah Remington.

Regards.

Taylor Warren
International Recruitment Department
Havoc Consultancy Group

#3488 by Chris Martins Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 am
To add to what Newdonym posted, waiting for a check to clear before sending money will not protect you from a scam like this. In most countries, banks are required to give you access to deposited funds within a few days. The checks will be discovered to be fake weeks or months later by a clearing house or by the issuing bank. It is this gap, and common misconceptions about what it means when a check "clears," that allow this sort of scam to work.

Any job that requires you to cash checks and send money back is a scam. No legitimate company would ever need such a service.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke
#3489 by drongoman Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 am
Thanks very much for the advice - I have copied the offending article!

Hello,

I am Mr. Taylor Warren, the International Recruiting officer for Havoc Consultancy Group;
I am offering you a Job offer with our establishment that deals in the Import and export of Cocoa butter cream,
Rubber, Cotton, textiles and fabric materials which is based in the United States.

We are looking for a trustworthy representative in the United Kingdom on behalf of Harvard & Cova Consultant Group that
will aid as a link between our company (Havoc Consultancy Group) and our customers in Europe for getting and remitting payments.

I would like to know if you are interested, respond only if you will like to work from home (part-time) and get paid weekly
without leaving or affecting your present job.

(PAY IS GOOD) if you are interested, forward the following information to Mrs. Sarah Remington the Recruiting offer of
Havoc Consultancy Group to the email address below:
[email protected]

FULL NAME:
PHONE NUMBER (S):
D.O.B (applicants should be 18 and above):
IDENTIFICATION HELD:

We would be expecting your email ASAP if you are interested to know more about your prospective job with
Havoc Consultancy Group.

Contract of Employment will be forward as soon as you are appointed as our representative.
NOTE: Forward your replies to Mrs. Sarah Remington.

Regards.

Taylor Warren
Havoc Consultancy Group

#3492 by ChrisSmith Wed May 28, 2008 12:32 pm
Hi drongoman. :)

As the guys above have already pointed out, the letter you've got there is 100% cheque scam.

Don't even bother replying to it. Just send it to trash. Don't be tempted to hurl a bit of abuse back at the scammer either (although we all love doing that). It let's them know that your email address is live and they'll just start bombing you with more crap.

#3502 by Chris Martins Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 am
^^If you have received one, you can expect to receive others. Your email address is probably visible somewhere out there (like most of us) and scammers will waste no time sending you all kinds of offers.

The good news is that you have been reading here, so you will be able to recognize them all and delete them, just as you would with any other spam you get. :D

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3647 by [email protected] Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 am
I WAS scammed by Sarah Remington and as I was on the net searching for new jobs I thought that it had been sent through the agency!!!
I e-mailed he a few times and she sent me a contract (thought all going OK :lol: ) then she sent me a cheque to put into my bank? I placed it into my bank, any way it was rejected and my bank account has now been frozen and probably closed!
I have spoken to my bank but they are not accepting my story, i have spoken to the police on the 7th but they have no record of me phoning? :cry:
Any suggestions?
Maria

#3648 by Ralph Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:01 am
Hi Maria,

Sorry to hear that you have been caught up in yet another internet crime.

Do you have any of the emails that were sent to you on your computer, if so, dont delete them, you will be able to use them to help prove that you are a victim, depositing fake checks is illegal and I dont want to alarm you but victims have ended up in serious trouble after being scammed in this way.

The IP address will prove those emails didn't come from you and will go a long way to proving your innocence.

I presume the emails you recieved were the same as those posted above however if you could post them with the headers it may just help.

Also, thinking of the phone call to the police, can you recall the details of that conversation, did you take any notes, the name of the person you reported it to, we dont need to know those details here but if you have them, keep them handy.

To be clear, did you sed any money to the scammers, if not, that's great news, some people have lost many thousands of dollars in this way so I am hoping that is not the case this time.

Best of luck, if you could post those details when you can, there will be others along soon who will offer more advice.

#3651 by benjamin Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:30 pm
I would also suggest a vist to www.fraudaid.com for legal advice.

#3654 by Angry_Ted Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:24 am
With most (if not all) of these scam emails, they use a web email address (yahoo, live, google, hotmail etc). No company would ever use a web address.
How did you receive these emails. If via outlook, then use 'options' under 'tools' and copy out/print the headers. If via hotmail etc then there is a way of viewing the email header, which tells you a lot about where the email has come from.
Most web mail addresses have a scam reporting address, like [email protected] (yahoo is the only exception as they use a web form instead). I would forward the emails to these a addresses only.

#3655 by Ralph Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:41 am
Hi Ted,

While I appreciate your ideas, we actually prefer not to get their email addresses closed down, by having the email address that they use posted publicly such as we do, victims stand a much greater chance of finding information using a google search on the address which is how many victims find our site, thus saving them from scams.

Further, while I will not go into specifics, often scambaiters are able to find victim details by writing to them as fellow scammers, many victims are svaed in this way, I personnaly warned 2 victims this week alone who's details were provided in this way with prospect of convincing the scammer to provide more.

You could only imagine the frustration we feel when a scammers email address has been closed down causing us to lose contact with the scammer and so preventing us from saving some victims.

You may also like to go to yahoo and time how long it takes to set yourself up a new email address, with practice, you could do this in less than 1 minute, that is how long it would take to set up a new address, an address that we dont have records of and can not trace.

On the other hand, it can take many weeks or months for a scambaiter to regain the trust of a scammer.

Again, I can see that your idea is well intentioned however, the reality is that it does not slow down scammers, if anything, it may inadvertantly help them.
#3894 by Crash27 Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:04 pm
I just got an email from the same people to, They changed the name of the company though to Halmond Consultancy Group., Ltd.. Here is my message and email header below

Email

Hello,

REF: REPRESENTATIVE NEEDED - Part time Job

I am Mr Taylor Warren the International Recruiting officer for Halmond Consultancy Group., Ltd.
I am offering you a Job offer with our establishment that deals with Importing, Exporting and distributing of hand woven and
vegetable dyed, tufted and power loom designer, Persian and Oriental rugs.

At this time, we are looking for a trustworthy representative in Canada who will represent us in the Canada.
Help us receive payments from our clients in Canada and North America as we are remitting and receiving payments from
our clients in these region.

Someone honest, reliable and trustworthy. (PAY IS GOOD)

If you are interested, and will like to work from home (part-time) and get paid weekly without leaving or affecting your present job,
please forward the details below to Mrs. Sarah Remington; email: [email protected]

FULL NAME:
PHONE NUMBER (S):
IDENTIFICATION HELD:

We would be expecting your email ASAP if you are interested to know more about your prospective job with Halmond Consultancy Group.

Notification of Appointment will be forwarded as soon as you are appointed as our representative.
Note: All replies about this particular Job Offer should be sent to Mrs. Sarah Remington

Yours truly,

Taylor Warren
Halmond Consultancy Group
Manchester M1 7JK
United Kingdom.

Email Message Header

From - Tue Jul 01 15:46:44 2008
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: 1214941589.V5600028I6ce59M438627.sunfep3
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-Path: <mrmorsen>
X-Original-To: .......my email .....
Delivered-To: .......my email .....
Received: from fepip.cogeco.ca (fepip.cogeco.ca [###.##.##.##])
by sunfep3.cogeco.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5C6B426C6
for <my>; Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: Av3/ADuKT0jB/Bbxgmdsb2JhbACBW4hPAQEFhBuDRQEBGAUWnnA
X-SPAMCLASS: SPAM
X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="4.27,732,1204520400";
d="scan'208";a="315987823"
X-SBRS: 3.0
Received: from smtp-1.orange.nl ([193.252.22.241])
by fepip.cogeco.ca with ESMTP; 01 Jul 2008 15:15:57 -0400
Received: from smtp-1.orange.nl (mwinf6012 [172.22.155.36])
by mwinf6005.online.nl (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 67573581D0C8
for <my>; Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:07:05 +0200 (CEST)
Received: from me-wanadoo.net (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by mwinf6012.online.nl (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 67A751C0006E
for <my>; Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:06:47 +0200 (CEST)
Received: from dhcp-077-250-148-158.chello.nl (c529cfb19.cable.wanadoo.nl [82.156.251.25])
by mwinf6012.online.nl (SMTP Server) with SMTP id BCB601C000DB
for <my>; Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:06:46 +0200 (CEST)
X-ME-UUID: [email protected]
To: .......my email .....
Subject: REPRESENTATIVE NEEDED - Part time Job
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-2"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-ID: <RC>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:06:46 +0200 (CEST)[/u]

#3895 by Dan Jones Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:18 pm
Thanks for that crash27. Every variation on the scam letter makes it easier for us to convince victims and for them to google info on it.

The headers seem to point to the netherlands.

#3899 by Ralph Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 am
Hi Crash,

Welcome to Scamwarners and a big thank you for posting, I notice the scammer still uses the reply email address [email protected], interesting that it seems that is how you found this post and the evidence you needed to confirm it as a scam, it shows that our theory on not reporting and closing scammers email address to be a sound decision.

The information you have posted will go a long way to helping others in the future so well done :lol: .

Please tell your family and friends about what you have learnt and about us, public awarenes is our greatest tool in slowing down the scammers.