Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#27278 by tatupiel Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:11 am
I followed my instincts before anything happened.
So, no damages done yet.
However, I need help wrapping up this scam.

I wanted to sell items on Craiglist.
This person contacted me.
All seemed well till I got a overpayment. $1500 way over $55.
Things got fishy so I digged on the internet.
Everything fit the description of Overpayment Scam.
I expressed my uneasiness, in an attempt to end this quietly.
This person reassured me and asked me to send $1000 to shippinig agent urgently.
Why would anyone want to spend time & money for few used items?
I said no but this person is emailing me again and again, driving me nuts.

I need to solve two things.
1. I have the check. I didn't deposit it but what am I supposed to do with it?
2. How to make the scammer back off.

I am a student who's supposed to be studying for finals.
This is just draining my energy. Please help me end this.
Advertisement

#27279 by The Enchantress Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:31 am
Welcome to Scamwarners tatupiel.

I am glad you have realised this is a scam.

Simply ignore and delete any mails from this scammer. Also look out for other scam attempts.

See this guide http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237

Please post here as much information about this scammer - it will alert and save others.

See this guide http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3622

What do I do if I think I've been scammed?

Cease all communications with the scammer immediately. Delete any emails unopened and hang up if the scammer calls you.

Report the scam to your local police and to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre if you are in the US. There is not much chance that the scammer will be caught, as he is probably overseas and certainly using false details. However, the more scams are reported, the more the authorities can tell how widespread it is, and the greater the effort that goes into stopping it.

If you have given the scammer your bank account, credit card or other financial details, tell your bank, card company or other provider immediately, and ask them to change your accounts and card numbers.
Do not accept any deliveries that are from the scammer or that you are not expecting. If you receive a check or something similar (such as a money order) take it to your bank or local police and tell them you think it is fake.

Do not panic. Whilst scammers are criminals and some of them are dangerous, the risks are negligible if you simply stop communicating with them. If you are in any doubt about your safety, report your concerns to your local police, who will be able to advise you.

Please post any questions or concerns - we will help you all we can.

Best of luck with the studies.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#27281 by David Jansen Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:52 am
Welcome here Tatupiel.

Depending on your email provider, you can setup a filter that filters out all incoming mail from the scammer and deletes it. That is the easy way to get rid of his spamming. Mind you, if he twigs and know that you won't pay him, he'll stop writing you and goes looking for another victim.
I'm glad you didn't fall for this scam, and as the enchantress said, feel free to ask questions.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#27295 by Dotti Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 am
Welcome!

As others have said, you don't want to keep up a correspondence with the scammer. However, some scammers can continue to harrass victims, even threatening legal action and sometimes sending fake emails from the FBI or some other authority.

if he continues to be persistent and demanding, there is no reason that you can't send him a response, telling him that your bank determined the check was a fake and that it is now in the hands of the police. That will generally speed up the rate at which he stops bothering you.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#27324 by tatupiel Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:21 pm
Good morning ___I know you have tried so much for me and i really appreciate your effort and consideration towards this transaction.Just this one last chance ok..i want you to know almost doesn't count and it will be fine if we finish all these process step by step.I apologize once more for some of your time taken.Please,all we need now is just for you to take the money($1000) to Western Union and send it to the information with you today.you today....And by Monday,you go get your money cashed in your bank.I want those items and they are very important to me okay.I will be waiting for the Western Union MTCN in your next email ok.So my shipper can pick up the money as early as possible on Monday morning and start process to meet you by May 5 ok.I will compensate you with $50 more to your actual amount $70 and the total i will be paying you is $120 if that's ok.May God Bless you and see you through your Forth coming Test.Amen.

This is the most recent email. And I have 5 untraceable missed calls in my phone.
This is starting to sound like harassment.
I have the right to refuse this right? I'm going to go to the bank or police first thing on monday.
#27327 by Chris Fuller Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm
Hello tatupiel,

You not only have the right to refuse this, but you need to refuse this. The scammer is a liar and a criminal, and he has sent you a fraudulent or a stolen check.

Yes, take the check and a printout of a couple of his emails to the police on Monday. The scammer may harass you for a little while, but he will stop once he realises that no way is he going to be able to steal money from you.
#27487 by tatupiel Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm
I'm so glad that this is almost over.
Thanks for all the help.
I need a final consult on this.

This is the last reply:

If you think you can cash my check and do away with it then you are in big mess...believe me....i will deal with you severely...all you can do is to send back my money or else i will know if you cash the money.

Hmmm... when has his english gotten so good?
I handed it over to the bank fraud department.
Do you think I should go to the police in case he does not stop harrassing me?
#27488 by Ralph Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:19 pm
He will stop harrasing you only when he realises he wont be able to steal from you.

The only way to do that is to continue to ignore him.

You could go to the police if you like, realistically it will not make too much difference either way, the scammer is almost certainly in Africa and he will not be travelling to do you any harm.

It is common for them to make threats or they might even try to impersonate the police to threaten legal action, no matter what, it will all be lies and there is only one thing that will stop him from trying.

Yep, you guessed, ignore him :wink:

Good luck with your studies :)
#27491 by Christina Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 pm
Welcome tatupiel!

Glad that you started digging and found out.

Good luck with your studies.