Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#3794 by gilbert Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm
I got this in reply to an ad on craigslist

Our company offers a unique opportunity for motivated people to generate a substantial residual income simply by referring interested people to our fund.

- NO fees, and NOTHING to buy.
- Income that grows EVERY YEAR, even when you stop working.
- NO HARD SELLING. We close the business and you get paid.
- This is NOT Multi Level Marketing (MLM). If that is what you are looking for, then please move on.

We are a Currency / FX Fund that is based in New York with clients and agents from around the world. You will be paid 10-15% on ALL FEES collected from your referrals on a monthly basis. Some of our agents work part-time by referring their friends, family, and co-workers. Others choose to aggressively promote the fund and seek to earn HIGH SIX-FIGURE INCOMES that grow year after year. After all, it isn't difficult to spread the word about a fund that beats most other investments.

If you are interested, simply reply or send an email to [email protected] to schedule a phone consultation. Leave your name, number, and the best time to reach you. One of our representatives will email you to confirm. Thanks for your interest, we are looking forward to speaking with you!

Looks to me like it could be a scam, what do you think?
Advertisement

#3797 by Crispy Duck Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm
Extremely 'dodgy' to say the least! The web site is registered for 2 years (nov. 07 to Nov. 09), with 'GO-DADDY' as registrant! Those in themselves raise a few suspicions, however, I don't think it's enough to say categorically that it is fake.

It may well be a 'ponzi' or 'hyip' scheme, both of which are illegal in the US.

It remains that it doesn't 'walk like a Duck or talk like a Duck - therefore, is it a Duck?' :-)

#3842 by jfauci7 Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:17 pm
N/A
Last edited by jfauci7 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

#3843 by benjamin Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:33 pm
Welcome jfauci7

I hope you'll excuse our scepticism - we're inclined to disbelieve everything until proven innocent, but there isn't a lot of information available about your company other than it being on the 59th floor of the Empire State building. How long have you been in business? Where are you registered? Your website is only registered for two years which doesn't inspire confidence. There's not much about your company on your website. Your website is registered to an apartment, there are no google hits for "fusionomics llc". People like to know who they're dealing with which is why they get suspicious when there's no information.

Unfortunately, one of the stock phrases of scammers is "this is not a scam" - so you can see we have a problem here.

#3848 by jfauci7 Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:19 pm
N/A
Last edited by jfauci7 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

#3849 by ChrisSmith Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:18 pm
Maybe not a "scam", but it sounds like complete bollocks to me.

Any business worth half it's salt would not resort to advertising itself by blindly hitting Craigslist advertisers.

#3851 by Ralph Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:09 pm
We certainly have no proof that this is a scam, nor will I be saying that it is not.

There certainly are some unusual business practices going on that make it hard to have any confidence in the company. spamming Craiglist users for a start does not instill confidence.

From our point of view here at Scamwarners, we are trying to educate and teach people to not get scammed, we certainly are not here to ruin legitimate businesses, nor are we here to promote them.

It would be wise in any transaction to do your homework, dont believe everything you see or read on the internet, ask questions, check out where your money is going to be paid and use caution, no matter how convincing or lucrative things seem, remember that scammers are able to produce very convincing documents and websites.

In this case I would want to visit their office to see it exists, I would also like to talk to other investors, if there is still doubt, stay clear, if you are happy with the level of risk, then it is your money and your choice.

Seek the advice of some independant financial planners and understand the risk prior to investing, keep in mind that you should not rely on a financial advisor suggested or in any way associated wit hteh company you seek advice from.

@jfauci,
Thank you for putting your point forward in a constructive and civil manner but please remember we are here to help scam victims, we deal with fraud of many kinds and it does make us very skeptical.