Scams operating under the guise of a charity.
#1293 by GomerPyle Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:00 am
International Conference on HIV/AIDS Prevention and Child Abuse/Labor in Africa 2007

This is slightly different from the other scams categorised here, but is closest to a charity scam in having a good cause as the central theme. It came to me from someone I had warned previously asking for my opinion - which is clearly A SCAM

Of course it is quite repugnant to use a charitable cause as a means to steal money, but one thing that sets this apart from the usual scam is the high standard of English used in the mail. It all falls down, because no one seeks participants in a conference of this type by trawling the internet for people to attend.

The money will be required for visa fees or some other imaginative expenses, which sounds like a good deal as they offer to pay air fares, but seeing as there is no conference, only you will pay anything - and you'll get nothing in return.

There were some pictures of a US girl attached. The last one of her wearing a police peaked cap. She is likely an innocent individual whose pictures are being abused to make it appear more personal. I haven't reproduced due to the likelihood she has nothing to do with the mail.

To: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: It's My Pleasure Meeting "U.
Hello Dear,
Thanks for your letter.
Sometimes life certainly can feel that way...and what better shelter
from the storms and trials of daily life than friendship and to know
that there is someone out there you can fall back on. Sometimes people
come into your life and you know right away that they were meant to be
there...to serve some sort of purpose, teach you a lesson or help figure
out who you are or who you want to become. You never know who these
people may be but when you look eyes with them, you know that every moment they will affect your life in some profound way. And sometimes things happen to you at the time that may seem horrible, painful and unfair, but in reflection you realize that without overcoming those obstacles you would have never realized your potential, strength, will power or heart. Everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance or by means of good luck, illness, injury, love, lost moments of true greatness and sheer stupidity all occur to test the limits of your soul.
Without these small tests, life would be like a smoothly paved,
straight, flat road to nowhere. Safe and comfortable but dull and utterly
pointless, the people you meet affect your life. The successes and
downfalls that you experience can create who you are and the bad experiences can be learned from. In fact, they are probably the most poignant and important ones. So if you're seriously looking for a friend to get to know, you have finally found me. I'm glad to meet you too. I'm Living alone at my own apartment given to me by my father. I'm the second child of my parents. My parent have two children, one girl and a boy by name Marcus and I'm last child. The name of my father is Williams Jones and my mother's name is Monica Jones. My father is a
Ex-Military Officier to the US Army while my mother is one of the senior
personnel of US Congress House Committee on Education and Labor here in California. I'm single and haven't marry once. I hate lies. I love
some one who is trustworthy and does not smoke nor drink. Some times
I'm always busy with the job activities. I've been opportune to have
traveled to many countries around the globe in our course of executing our work and visiting some HIV/AIDS patient and refugee camps in other
countries. I will be attending a combined International Conference on
HIV/AIDS Prevention and Child Abuse/Labor in Africa this year 2007. The
conference is scheduled to hold first in U.S and followed by the one in
West Africa (Senegal). As one of the Organizers of the fourth coming
combined International Conferences on HIV/AIDS Prevention and Child
Abuse/Labor taking place in the US and latter in Africa (Senegal), West Africa, we are inviting two to five (2-5) delegates from each of the selected countries around the world. In our request to invite delegates from the selected countries, I went in search of e-mail on the website as a
means of contacting interested delegates and Organizations in
these countries. I picked your e-mail from a pen pal website. You will
assist us in relating to one of the existing Organization in your
country to contact the Conference Secretariat in the US through this e-mail add: [email protected] or fax number: +1-208-575-6945 But before they could be considered for participation in this most esteemed event, their Organization will have to forward to the above address the following requirement:
1) The Organization profile
2) The Aims and Objectives of the Organization
3) Their Achievements so far.
With this information put into consideration by the Organizing
Committee , they will be officially invited to participate in this
Conference. Our independent donor will take care of their round trip Air flight tickets from their country of resident to U.S, U.S. to Africa (Senegal)
and from Africa (Senegal) back to their various country of resident and
their Accommodation throughout their stay in the U.S. and the
Organizing Committee will process the U.S. visa for all participants requiring entry visa to the US with the assistant of our Immigration Advocates.
Participants will only take care of their Accommodation during the other
event in Africa (Senegal). As one of the Organizers i knew not of
anybody from your country, hence my writing to you is to gain assess to any existing Organization in your country. If you are really interested to
participate and want to represent your country, you should contact the
Secretary to the Organizer for full detail information on
registration procedures and inform the Organizer that i Sandra Jones recommended you. You need not to forward the above requirement for
your group or Organization registration, hence i will give your
recommendation to the Secretary. You are to contact the Organizer as soon as possible as all participants visa request will be forwarded to the U.S. Bureau of Immigrant Affairs for Authorization the same day. Any group that did not forward their visa request on that same day with others will miss the visa assistance. You are to form a group of two to five (2-5)
persons. Your group can be of different nationalities but all should be
leaving in the same country for easy U.S. visa assistance. For your
information two groups can be register from one country cos one of the
group will be used to represent the country that couldn't be able to
participate or present delegate.
I'm looking forward to seeing you.
Thanx,
Sandra Jones.
U.S.A
Advertisement

#1308 by Emma Jones Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:09 pm
One of the clues that this is not legitimate is that it does not appear on a list of Aids/HIV conferences here http://www.conferencealerts.com/aids.htm or elsewhere on the internet.

It is hard to understand how scammers could exploit Aids and HIV, but they have before and will again. :evil:

Learn about scammers' fake sites at aa419. Report scams to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre at IC3.
#1643 by danni Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 am
Hi, Ive recently made friends with a man from (well he says texas) Nigeria. He claims he's there for a conference. Then suddenly he's telling me that the charity his late wife started is in need of donations. There is a 17 year old girl who aborted a little girl.. who survived. This little girl is in need of surgery. This man was so loving and attentive. But once he came to me with this situation and i told him sorry i only have 20 dollars to my name he started putting me down.
I checked online to see if any such little girl existed. I spoke with someone i do know in Nigeria and they told me that if a child like this survived an abortion, the entire african continent would know about it.
So I just wanted to share this new scam with everyone.
I wish I had know of this site before, been aware of these scams.. but you know what they say.. better late than never. I am now avoiding anyone who i dont know personally that comes to me requesting money...

oh i almost forgot.. he has a money order, from my own country... and would like me to cash it for him.. and send him the money so he can return home.. since he made a large donation to this child. Not going to happen!

Good Luck to all!

Danni
#1644 by 4X1X9 Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:24 pm
At least you did your research Danni and did not get taken in by this low life, it's unbelievable what lies they will make up to get money. Rest assured the Money Orders are fake so you made the right move.