Scams operating under the guise of a charity.
#128605 by Chaletinma Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:12 pm
I've been communicating back and forth with someone from CI Brasil about a volunteer experience there, everything was fine for a while then when it came time to pay she keeps bringing it up more and more. She wants me to western union or wire transfer and has now asked me several times. It seems very aggressive now. I wanted to know if anyone has experience with this organiztion. She says she is an international mobility assistance at ABIPE CI experience. The web address is ABIPE.org.br/cibrazil.travel her email is [email protected] this trip is quite expensive and I don't want to lose my money!!! Thank you!!
Advertisement

#128625 by Bubbles Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners Chaletinma, this presents as a scam. Real businesses do not ask for money to be sent by Western Union. Scammers want money sent by Western Union because you have no recourse to retrieve the money. Once it is picked up, it is gone.

Personally, I would not send money to anyone by Western Union that I did not know personally and especially no one I was corresponding with over the internet. I wouldn't send someone money to buy an airline ticket for me. Especially when it is a sizable amount of money. You will also have to have a visa and no one can get that for you. I would beware and check with the American Consulate and the Brazilian Consulate to see what they can tell you.

From the website you don't communicate with someone from Brazil.
How do I apply?

You must apply through IAESTE in your home country.
Each IAESTE country has its own application deadlines to be accomplished.
Please note that you will only be able to apply for specific traineeships which your country has available. You will generally not be able to specify your preferred destination or Employer.
Please do not send CVs to either IAESTE International or to your National Office unless you are asked to do so.
ABIPE has several local partners in Brazil - representatives of recognized universities and companies who open their doors every year to receive hundreds of IAESTE foreign students and make real their dream of working abroad for a while providing an extraordinary and unforgettable experience.
We are more than happy to provide international mobility for hundreds of students every year. Hope we can count on you next season! f you are interested in coming to Brazil, please contact the IAESTE office in your home country.

Also, you must still be completing a degree program:
To apply for an IAESTE traineeship you should fulfil the following criteria:

Enrollment: You must be currently enrolled full-time in a Bachelor's or Master's degree at the time of application. You must be a full-time student in Higher Education.
Language: You do not have to speak Portuguese, but if you do of course it helps! You must speak good English or Spanish.
IAESTE must be represented in the country in which you are studying your degree course. Please check the Country list at www.iaeste.org
Please note that each country has its own set of application criteria that must be met. Please contact IAESTE in your home country for details.
Your subject studied must be within the field of Science, Technology, Engineering, Agriculture or Applied Arts. Please check the Disciplines section at www.iaeste.org

IAESTE Brazil
ABIPE
Av Paulista 726 sala 601
01310-940 São Paulo
T: +55 (11) 3262 4012
F: +55 (11) 3141 1277 [email protected]
www.abipe.org.br

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#142983 by karoleq Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:57 pm
I had almost the same situation, but with my friend and surely it was scam. She sent me message:

I am in London, UK at the moment, I am here for a conference and I
just had my bag stolen from me with my passport and personal effects.
I have been trying to sort things out with the necessary authorities,
I need some assistance from you. Let me know if you can be of any
help.

Thanks

When I started asking her what happened, she stopped writing.

#151651 by jkonar Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:12 am
I think that sending any money to someone who is agressive in some kind is wrong. I wouldn't send her anything, especialy by WU. This is just another way to cheat!