Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#320018 by ccccchunt Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Hello,

First of all, let me just say that this scam was actually pretty well set up. The person spoke in "pretty good" English and they used public information off of our Soccer (Football for you English types) club web page. The email appeared to come from the President of our soccer club Dawn Byron and addressed me by name as I am the club secretary.

Here is the text of the email:

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 8:16 AM
Reply-To: Dawn Byron <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Hello Chris, I'll need you to make a payment today, Let me know how soon you can have it done so i can send you the beneficiary details.

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM
To: Dawn Byron <[email protected]>
Sorry,
Didn't get this earlier. Let me know what you need and I can take care of it this afternoon or tomorrow.
Talk to you soon.

Chris

[Quoted text hidden]

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM
Okay Chris, Need you to make a payment of $4,460 The invoice show they accept Cashier's Check, Money Order, PayPal & Wire Transfer and via Western Union Card Reload Payment Is any of the above possible ? Let me know so i can request details..

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:46 PM
Ok. There's more than enough in the account. Just let me know the details of who to send it to.

I still have the Paypal account information. All I need to know is the paypal ID to send it to.
Is this for the new goals? Or for the uniforms??
Let me know.

Chris

[Quoted text hidden]

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 6:05 PM
Chris, The best you can do now is to proceed with Western Union Or MoneyGram payment to avoid delay. Will you still be able to set it tonight or tomorrow morning? Everything need to be sorted by tomorrow it's for the uniform. Awaiting to read back from you soon.

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM
Dawn,

Yes, I can go tomorrow. Let me know the details on who to make payment to.
We need these uniforms right away!!!!
Talk to you soon,
Chris

[Quoted text hidden]

C Hunt <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:06 AM
Dawn,
Were we getting 500 or 1000 uniforms?? I cannot remember what the order quantity was??
Let me know and I'll go to Western Union in the morning. I have already made the withdrawal and it's in my safe.

Chris

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Dawn Byron <[email protected]> wrote:
[Quoted text hidden]

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Payment info below for Western Union or MoneyGram payment. We are getting 1000 Uniforms.
Note: You should split the payment in two places so it wont be hold by Western Union or MoneyGram.

Receivers name: Ben Quinn
Receivers Address: 41 s. Wayne St
City: Milledgeville
State: GA

Do get back to me with the confirmation as soon as it has been completed.

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Ok,
It will take me a little while to go to 2 different offices.
I will need Mr. Quinn's email address and telephone number also. They need that on the Western Union paperwork.
Let me know.

Also, are we getting the Red uniforms or the really cool White ones??

Chris

[Quoted text hidden]

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM
Chris am not sure the number or email is important. We are getting the White ones for now. Just please make sure you get everything sorted first thing in the morning just to avoid delay and disappointment.

PH: (478) 257-4631
Email: [email protected]

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:46 AM
No problem. Thanks for the info.

I will get the payment out first thing in the morning!!
I'm glad you decided on the White ones. The boys will love them!!!!

Chris

[Quoted text hidden]

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:51 AM
Okay Chris, I'll be looking forward to read from you as soon as it has been completed.

Thanks,
Dawn
Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM
Chris, What's the status of the payment. Awaiting to read back from you.

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:49 AM
Sorry Dawn. Was out sick today. Will try and make it tomorrow.
[Quoted text hidden]

Dawn Byron <[email protected]> Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:24 AM
Oh sorry to hear. How are you feeling now? You mean Tuesday morning or Monday morning? Chris this need to be sorted latest by Monday morning. Just please try your best to make it possible.

Thanks,
Dawn

C Hunt <[email protected]> Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:54 AM
I am feeling better now.

I think the Western Union office has a problem. I brought the cash down to the office this morning but they insisted on verifying the receiver. Are you sure the contact information is correct?? They said the email address was incorrect because apparently they already have Mr. Ben Quinn listed at a different address than the one you gave me.

I am unsure what to do. They would not send the funding without the correct email address and phone number to verify. Can you please check Mr. Quinn's email and phone number and make sure they are correct?

Also, I am wondering if we could increase the payment amount to $6500 to purchase 1500 uniforms instead of the 1000 we originally talked about. This would give us enough uniforms for the National Convention in April.

Let me know.

Chris

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
The emails are coming from South Africa according to the X-Originating-IP

The scary thing is that Mr. Ben Quinn (who I'm supposed to send the money to) appears to be a real person in Georgia. I'm sure he is unaware that his name is being used. I could not verify if the email address given by the scammer was a real address or phone number.

I was contacted via email by Vic Turner warning me of this scam. I was thinking of asking "fake Dawn" to confirm the style of uniforms we are buying.
Last edited by AlanJones on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed racial comments
Advertisement

#320038 by vonpaso xlura Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:43 am
cksoccer.org is a 27-year domain and the phone number matches the address in Washington, but the writer of the scam email is obviously a sub-Saharan African. Could you post the headers? The From address is forged, but the Reply-to shows where he expects to get replies.

Any time someone tells you to pay for something with Western Union or MoneyGram, consider it to be a scam.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10