Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#46191 by businessguy Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 pm
I own a small service oriented business, and I got emailed by a guy with an opportunity for work. I called him and he offered to get me bids for a small percent. It sounded great, and was about to sign a contract that appeared to be no risk, but he didn't tell me much about his business, and he only wanted to correspond by email after that, which made me suspicious. So did a little research and found out he had been convicted of fraud and has ripped off a lot of people online. I wrote him back and told him what I found and that I wasn't going to work with him. I was kind of harsh, but not over the top. He responded saying I had better guard what I say or publish about him or his company, because he had sued a guy who had defamed him.

Anyway, this was a few days ago, and I just got to thinking about how dumb it was for me to respond and call him out like that. He seemed to have dropped it, and told me the deal was off the table, but now I'm kind of worried he will try to harm me. He lives only a few hours away. I only gave him my name, phone, and company name, but I know he could find my info if he tried. Should I be worried?
Advertisement

#46226 by Dotti Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 am
Sounds like he is more concerned that you will share the information with others, and wants to shut you up before you do. Anyone actively involved in posting scammers' info has probably received the same threat dozens of times, coming from scammers who think they can bluster and scare the poster into removing the scammers' info.

I'm assuming you did not sign any kind of a confidentiality agreement here.

First of all, courts do not generally consider statements privately made to the person themselves to be libel. So, for example, if you were to send me a message claiming I am a lying convicted felon, I would get nowhere trying to sue your for libel. If you continuously contacted and insulted me, I'd be more likely to have a case for harassment than anything.

If, however, you were to post on a public forum that I am a lying convicted felon, or start passing the word around that I am a lying convicted felon, I would have grounds for a libel suit, because I am not a convicted felon, so I could prove that you made completely false statements about me. If I really were a convicted felon, I would have no chance of making a libel case, as defamation generally requires the statements be untrue.

Criminal records (assuming not sealed) are public record. So are lawsuits (so if he really sued someone, you could find out if you really wanted to--I also notice that he just said he sued him, not that he won.) If you are going to publicly post that he was convicted of fraud, or warn others about his criminal past, you are responsible for making sure that your information is true. Beyond that, you have nothing to be worried about.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#46997 by began steele Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 am
Of course it all depends on where he actually comes from. He may be a Nigerian etc and only claiming to be from somewhere close by, and email headers should tell you that. I'd check back first, ensure the reports are accurate and then publish if they are. I also doubt any action would result from it, on grounds of expense, and if there are sufficient grounds for you to believe the reports are true then you have a defence anyway. There is a term for this sort of threat, best countered by words appertaining to bovine droppings.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.