Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#7358 by Stenzgr Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 pm
Matila scam, I think I got hooked but actually I was not hooked deep. I got the infamous Patrick Chan, broken english email, telling me that he wanted me to collect 2.8mil in delinquent accounts. I did a revised fee agreement, he signed it and I have it. I asked for a fax to fax back my signature but he has not done so. My instructions to him was to send the check to me for my "trust account" but I could not release the funds until they cleared. I have since apologized to him but asked him to explain all these complaints about him being a possible scam. If this is what I think it is, he will not guarantee the funds first and I will not deposit it to mess my trust account up. Anyone can write me if this is a scam and if what I did works then use it. Gary of Spokane
Advertisement

#7365 by Dan Jones Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 am
It's definitely a scam if you got the script that's been posted on here.

Your method should work, but scammers are very inventive people. He will probably just ignore you from now on, but he might think up a brilliant excuse. Please post/pm again if he does reply.
#7528 by FreeCarlLee Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 pm
I appreciate your posting and it has saved me money I am sure. Like Pilotmackey, I was responding with ChunYuan- I searched the internet and only recently found this site- I agreed to do legal work, sent him a contract, and last week received a check from All Pro Roofing, also listed in this site. Upon receipt, they asked me to deposit said delinquent funds and all of a sudden, they had a new business venture that they wanted me to wire the money to, less my ridiculous retainer. The check is not even close to being authentic, has slanted numbers at the bottom. I told them that the check would have to clear my account and with Monday being President's Day, it probably wouldn't clear until Tuesday. They were impatient as Time Was Of The Essence. I informed them yesterday that the check didn't clear, it was a fake, and I was being questioned by Banking and Federal Officials. I told them I needed contact information on All Pro Roofing ASAP as an investigation is ensuing. Well, I haven't hIn regards to this, we have responded back to them and have confirmed receipt of of the cheque by your firm.Thus As soon as the funds are cleared, please see wire information for SINOWAY INDUSTRIAL CO.LTD below:

BANK NAME : BANK OF CHINA[HK] LTD
BANK ADDRESS: 42 YU CHAU STREET BRANCH
HONG KONG.
SWIFT CODE: BKCHHKHH
A/C NO. : 06479092021106
BENEFICIARY: SINOWAY INDUSTRIAL CO.LTDeard back from them. Here is their wiring instructions -
As soon as they got spooked , two new companies contacted me- One is Silktex and the other is Kun-Hang Wan
General Manager, Maanshan Iron & Steel Company Limited
Silktex promises a payment by the end of this monthI am just killg time with them now-
#7532 by bill_b3llo Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 pm
Thanks for that info. Please keep records of everything, of course. I'll PM you my email address.

Bill

Write me at scamspook at gmail.com
#7715 by barron Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:37 pm
I also was contacted by Mr. Chan from Matila, I believe referencing he found me on Justia attorney directory just this week. About 6 months ago I had a similar scam attempt by someone in China which sounds exactly like your experience. A different manufacuring co. which I checked and saw it had a real website. Someone with an African or Carribean accent (trying to sound Chinese) phoned my office stating they were Mr. Chan or some other Chinese name. I received a cashiers check from Wachovia bank for $800,000+ from Washington or Vancouver. I called Wachovia Bank and of course the check had never been issued by them. I still have the phony check and never heard from these scammers again.
#7717 by barron Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:54 pm
Here is the 2nd email received. The first was from a different email address and domain.

Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:09:57 AM
Subject: Attention Counsel

I have previously sent you an email, please confirm the receipt of this mail
due to the urgency of this matter. If you are not in position to represent
us at the moment kindly advice immediately. After a careful review, we
decided to contact you to represent our company in North America. Matila
Manufacturing Pte Ltd is a manufacturing company in Asia We would require
your legal representation for our North American delinquent Customers. We
are of the opinion that a reputable attorney is required to represent us in
North America in order for us to recover monies due to our organization by
overseas customers, and as well follow up with these accounts. In order to
achieve these objectives a good and reputable law firm like yours will be
required to handle this service. We understand that a proper Attorney Client
agreement must be entered into by both parties. This will be done
immediately we receive your letter of acceptance. Awaiting Response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo!???????????????????!????
#7722 by The Enchantress Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 pm
Weclome to Scamwarners barron.

I am glad you are aware that it is a scam.

Further information can be found earlier in this thread.

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1578&start=15

Please post any questions and our advisers will happily answer them.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#7961 by bill_b3llo Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:00 pm
Thanks Barron and Enchantress,

It's been mentioned before, but I can't stress this enough..DO NOT use the phone number printed on the checks to verify. These are bogus numbers staffed by scammers. Look up the bank and call them directly.

#7991 by bill_b3llo Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:32 pm
^^ So true, and I should know that by now. The reason so many of these check scams work is because banks will only check the account it's written on and if it's in good standing, they will "clear" it. Many banks don't make a real effort and these checks won't be discovered as fakes until they reach the company they are written on.

#8149 by mdx Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 pm
People have asked what's in it for the lawyers, and I'm not sure that anyone responded. The problem with the scam is that the scammers are offering approximately 30% of the supposed amount owed to them by their creditors, so if they go to a law firm - or a single lawyer - and say they are owed $1,865,000.00, the lawyer's fee would be over $600,000.00, for the work. Regardless of what size firm you have, that's a great fee.

Here's where the scammers get rich: Pretending to be the compliant debtor, the scammers promptly send the lawyer a forged check for what they supposedly owe. The attorney, as required by law, deposits that check into his/her Attorney Trust Account, which is strictly governed by law and is a holding account kept separate from the attorney's other monies. The Attorney Trust Account is specifically for CLIENT monies only. This is important and comes into play in a moment. It's also why it's easier than one would think to scam an attorney.

When the client presses the lawyer to send funds - say a $400,000.00 - immediately, because they need to meet an urgent payment deadline, and the attorney is told by the bank that the check has cleared, he/she may see no reason not to wire the money to the client's Asian bank account.

The moment the $400,000.00 cash hits the foreign account, they cash it out and disappear. They've won. The check issued by one of the scammers was bogus and no one will likely be able to track them down. Asian banking laws are far different from ours and dealing with multiple jurisdictions and time zones are big roadblocks.

So, where does that $400,000.00 come from? The attorney's Trust Account was just wiped out. The attorney must personally make it good immediately. Regardless of being scammed and relying on the bank's assurance that the check cleared, the attorney and/or firm is responsible to make good immediately. If, for example, someone just sold a house and the money was in the Attorney Trust Account waiting to go to the client, and that money was wiped out in the fraud, it cannot be allowed the damage the client.

One more twist as well - -

The New Jersey Law Journal ran an article on January 21, 2009, on an attorney named Martin Arbus, entitled, "Beware of Lawyers Bearing Foreign Clients."

Here's an excerpt:
"Arbus has been hearing from lawyers around the country about e-mails, purporting to be from him, that ask them to help a Chinese company collect a $700,000 debt.

The arrangement would call for all or part of the debt to be paid by check into the lawyer's trust account and for the lawyer to write a check to the "client" on the account. The only hitch: The lawyer would later learn the deposited check had bounced.

The e-mails identify Maanshan Iron & Steel Co. of Anhui, China, a real company, as Arbus' client and state his correct street address, with no telephone number and a phony e-mail address, [email protected].

They describe Maanshan as a "very credible client" based on prior representation, but they say Arbus is unable to handle the matter because it is "out of my legal jurisdiction."

The e-mails say that Arbus will be out of the office on a long vacation but that his secretary, "Sandy," reachable at [email protected], can provide contact information for Maanshan. (There is no "Sandy." Arbus' secretary is Sylvia.)

Arbus says several lawyers who contacted him said they responded to the initial contact. They got back an e-mail response supposedly sent by Zhu Changqui, a real person who is Maanshan's general manager and director. The e-mail address given, [email protected], also appears legitimate because Maanshan is owned by Magang (Group) Holding Co., of Hong Kong."

The WhoIs for the fake version of Mr. Arbus' law firm, amartinlawfirm.com, when run through WhoIs.sc, returns yet another Rosepark Telecom registered name, but this time with the privacy lifted:

Registration Service Provided By: ROSEPARK TELECOM INC.

Domain Name: AMARTINLAWFIRM.COM

Registrant:
Jye Tai
Jye Tai Mail ([email protected])
480 Collge St.
Toronto
Ontario,M9A 3L4
CA
Tel. +001.9052768944

Creation Date: 07-Nov-2008
Expiration Date: 07-Nov-2009

Domain servers in listed order:
ns2.suspended-domain.com
ns1.suspended-domain.com

Administrative Contact:
Jye Tai
480 Collge St.
Toronto
Ontario,M9A 3L4
CA
Tel. +001.9052768944

Technical Contact:
Jye Tai
480 Collge St.
Toronto
Ontario,M9A 3L4
CA
Tel. +001.9052768944

Billing Contact:
Jye Tai
480 Collge St.
Toronto
Ontario,M9A 3L4
CA
Tel. +001.9052768944

Note: This Domain Name is Suspended.
In this status the domain name is InActive and will not function.

For some reason, the fake company, Magang, is not suspended:

Domain Name: MAGANGLTD.COM

Registrant:
PrivacyProtect.org
Domain Admin ()
P.O. Box 97
Note - All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Moergestel
null,5066 ZH
NL
Tel. +45.36946676

Creation Date: 07-Nov-2008
Expiration Date: 07-Nov-2009

rosepark.mercury.orderbox-dns.com
rosepark.venus.orderbox-dns.com
rosepark.earth.orderbox-dns.com
rosepark.mars.orderbox-dns.com
#8151 by Ralph Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 pm
Hi mdx,

Welcome to Scamwarners.

That is some really good information, thank you for sharing it
Last edited by Ralph on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
#8160 by mdx Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 pm
Thank you. This is an excellent resource.

One thing I forgot to mention is that once the attorney's Trust Account is wiped out, the bank automatically covers the faked check with funds from the attorney's (or the firm's) operating accounts and, if not adequate, private accounts of the principal(s) of the firm. It's not optional - it's operating procedure where the Trust Accounts are concerned. A solo attorney can be personally wiped out completely at that point, without even enough to run his office and pay his staff.
#8162 by mdx Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm
On the first page of this thread, you have the WhoIs records for both KyleEnterpriseHK.net and KennethFarleyLaw.com, both of which showed as Privacy Protected. Since then, the privacy protection has been lifted.

Here's the WhoIs as it currently reads:

Domain Name: KYLEENTERPRISEHK.NET

Registrant:
Kyle Enterprise
James Hamprey (hamfresh[email protected])
45 Branberry Crescent
Mississauga
Ontario,L8V5C4
CA
Tel. +001.9056673453

Creation Date: 20-Oct-2008
Expiration Date: 20-Oct-2009

ns1.suspended-domain.com
ns2.suspended-domain.com

Administrative Contact:
Kyle Enterprise
James Hamprey ([email protected])
45 Branberry Crescent
Mississauga
Ontario,L8V5C4
CA
Tel. +001.9056673453

Technical Contact:
Kyle Enterprise
45 Branberry Crescent
Mississauga
Ontario,L8V5C4
CA
Tel. +001.9056673453

Billing Contact:
Kyle Enterprise
45 Branberry Crescent
Mississauga
Ontario,L8V5C4
CA
Tel. +001.9056673453

Domain Name: KENNETHFARLEYLAW.COM

Registrant:
Kenneth Farley Law
Kenneth Farlaw ([email protected])
456 Barbara Street
Toronto
Ontario,M7ZN6X
CA
Tel. +001.4168901232

Creation Date: 20-Oct-2008
Expiration Date: 20-Oct-2009

ns1.suspended-domain.com
ns2.suspended-domain.com

Administrative Contact:
Kenneth Farley Law
456 Barbara Street
Toronto
Ontario,M7ZN6X
CA
Tel. +001.4168901232

Technical Contact:
Kenneth Farley Law
456 Barbara Street
Toronto
Ontario,M7ZN6X
CA
Tel. +001.4168901232

Billing Contact:
Kenneth Farley Law
456 Barbara Street
Toronto
Ontario,M7ZN6X
CA
Tel. +001.4168901232

#8163 by mdx Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 pm
Also, another whois from the first page of the thread on Boyingmodelfactory.com - privacy protection also lifted.

Domain Name: BOYINGMODELFACTORY.COM

Registrant:
Jiangsu Faersheng
Dan Goteye ([email protected])
94 Gregory Crescent
Ajax
Ontario,L4Z7Z5
CA
Tel. +001.9057894521

Creation Date: 05-Nov-2008
Expiration Date: 05-Nov-2009

ns1.suspended-domain.com
ns2.suspended-domain.com

Administrative Contact:
Jiangsu Faersheng
94 Gregory Crescent
Ajax
Ontario,L4Z7Z5
CA
Tel. +001.9057894521

Technical Contact:
Jiangsu Faersheng
94 Gregory Crescent
Ajax
Ontario,L4Z7Z5
CA
Tel. +001.9057894521

Billing Contact:
Jiangsu Faersheng
94 Gregory Crescent
Ajax
Ontario,L4Z7Z5
CA
Tel. +001.9057894521