Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#51716 by ScamInformation Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:16 pm
This was forwarded to me by a friend in California who has received this kind of email in the past.

Money Scam Aimed at Psychotherapists

It has come to [name of professional psychotherapy association] attention that some of our members have been solicited in a money scam, which has been directed towards various psychotherapists across the country. We have previously sent email blasts regarding these scams, but again wish to remind you to be aware of the potential for fraudulent action against your practice. In order that you don’t fall victim to this type of fraud, we want to alert you to the crux of the scam. Below is the general scenario which is typically presented:

Emails or letters are sent to addresses taken from marketing or large mailing lists. The emails state that the “client” is from out of country, and requesting counseling of some sort. After pleasantries and administrative emails are exchanged between psychotherapist and “client,” and before the first appointment is scheduled to occur, the “client” sends the psychotherapist a cashier’s check, or other form of payment, to prepay for the counseling sessions. When the psychotherapist receives the money, it is above and beyond the amount of the agreed upon payment. The “client” apologizes for the mistake, and asks that you (the psychotherapist) simply transfer the difference back to him/her at his/her location/bank, out of country. It is at this step wherein we are concerned that you could be unknowingly involved in an illegal activity of some kind and/or the victim of fraud.

Please don’t fall victim to this money scam. If you become involved in a similar scenario and are unsure of whether the transaction is legitimate or a scam, simply return the overpayment and ask for the proper payment to be remitted.

If you do believe you have been targeted by this scam you can forward your concerns to the United States Secret Service, Financial Crimes Division, 950 H Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20223, or telephone local police for further information on how to proceed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

#51771 by grayraven Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:15 pm
Besides the ethical issues, what is wrong with the following:
1) they send the cashiers check to therapist. You deposit it in a savings account. You notice it is over paid. But do nothing.
2)They contact you and ask you to send the over payment back to them via wire transfer.
3) You reply that you will give them the money when they come in for the appointment. [You know that they won't.]
4) If they call or email again you reply the same way.

In the end they will either:
1) Cancel the check if they can. If enough time has past the issuing bank may not allow that to happen, is that correct?
2)They do nothing.

Either way you have 'free money' or no money. No harm to you. If they screw up and the money clears their bank the scammers lose.

You could then keep the money or donate to your favorite charity.

Is there technically a harm to your identity if you took the above actions?
#51774 by Chris Fuller Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:40 pm
Checks sent to people/companies by scammers will be fraudulent checks. If you pay them into your bank account, you will be 'handling' a fraudulent check.

This could result in yourself being investigated by law enforcement.

You can read more about this here:

Check Scams
#51775 by John DeLaney Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:48 pm
A couple of things wrong with the scenario you wrote GreyRaven.

Firstly the cheque will certainly be fake, either a stolen account or a printed fake issued by someone who thinks they are working for a *work from home Accounts Clerk*

Secondly, when the cheque finally bounces, and this can take a few months to finally be picked up, your bank will take a dim view of it, and you will possibly be charged a penalty for depositing a fake. There is also the likelihood of legal charges up to money laundering being considered.

Then there is what happens to the money you have withdrawn or used against the fake cheque. Your bank will take back any money you have withdrawn, and if there is insufficient in your account by this time, you will find criminal charges or legal claims on your income to repay the amount.

The safest way of dealing with these scams it to write FAKE across the cheque, if you do decide to try depositing it into your bank, notify them at the time you suspect it to be fake, and DO NOT USE any of the money. You will be held accountable when it bounces, not the bank.

edit: Beaten by Chris

John DeLaney
#51779 by grayraven Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm
Thanks for all your replies.

John DeLaney wrote:"A couple of things wrong with the scenario you wrote GreyRaven.

Firstly the cheque will certainly be fake, either a stolen account or a printed fake issued by someone who thinks they are working for a *work from home Accounts Clerk*"
....and so on.

I was trying to figure out what would happen if you deposited the money. My assumption was that if they recalled it then you would have to return it, thus putting it in a savings account untouched was my way of thinking how to have the money to give back to the bank just in case.

Didn't consider the idea of being accused of participating in an illegal act myself.

I guess that handing the check over to the police or the bank would be the best idea, but I imagine from what you wrote that it would not be issued from a legitimate bank and thus would end up being untraceable.

Thanks for the information and insight.

Mod Note: I corrected the quote coding. ~Bubbles