Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#54040 by shosho71 Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm
So apparantley my friends email account was hacked.....this was what the person who emailed sent me:

"I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,I and my family came down here to London,United Kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately we got mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,wallet,credit card and cell were stolen off us,but luckily for us we still have our passport back in our hotel room.

We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight is leaving in few hours from now but we're having problems settling our hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills,We're freak out at the moment."

MY RESPONCE:
"How much do you need and where do I send it?"

HACKERS RESPONCE:
"Glad you replied back, We have nothing left on us right now but we're lucky to have our passports with us, it would have been worst if they had made away with our passports.Our return flight is leaving in the next few hours from now as i earlier told you and we don't want miss it,all we owe the hotel is just 2,850.00 Euro to settle our bills at the hotel and get a cab to the Airport including feeding,but we'll appreciate whatsoever you can afford to loan us right now.Once the bills have been taken care of then we will quickly catch our return flight back home safely.You can have it wired to my name via Western union b'cos I'll have to show my passport as an ID to pick it up here and Western Union is 3blocks away from the hotel where we're staying. I promise to refund back as soon as we made it home safely.Here's my info below...

Name..xxxxxxxx
Location...101, ALBERT CARR GARDENS
STREATHAM, LONDON SW16 3HE
UNITED KINGDOM

Once you're done with it, kindly get back with the MTCN confirmation number including sender's first and last name and amount you sent,so our mind can be at rest.

We owe you a lot.

Reply ASAP.
Thank You."
Advertisement

#54050 by Bubbles Tue May 24, 2011 12:54 am
Welcome to ScamWarners shosho71, yes this is the result of a hack and is a scam. Hopefully, your friend knows her / his email address was compromised. You will not be the only one the scammer has contacted. Please let your friend know to notify all of the contacts will have been contacted too and do not send money.

Thank you for posting this because it is a reminder to be careful about phishing schemes.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#55957 by cubbies7774 Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:22 pm
Scam - here is some more to an email thread. My wife, bless her soul, started a dialogue. Anyway, cut it off real quick when I saw it (last email is my BS reply to them) - this is a decent spam/extortion plot as the email address reads the persons REAL email address and at the bottom of each email is the persons accurate name, phone, email and address.

Fw: WESTERN UNION DETAILS NEEDED ASAP!!!

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:18 AM
To: XXXXXX
Subject: WESTERN UNION DETAILS NEEDED ASAP!!!

Thanks for your concern over us....... We still need help.... Kindly wire us any amount you can afford right now via Western Union and get back with the confirmation number (MTCN) and amount you sent.... I promise to refund it back including the western union transfer fee as soon as we get back.

We owe you a lot.

NAME, XXXXXX.com, XXXXXX Boulder, CO 80302 (303) XXXXXX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP!!!
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:29:15 -0600

I AM SO SORRY, I JUST GOT YOUR MESSAGE! I HAD SURGERY ON MY LEG YESTERDAY AND WAS DOWN AND OUT FOR AWHILE! DID YOU GET EVERYTHING WORKED OUT OR DO YOU STILL NEED HELP!

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 11:01 AM
To: xxxxx
Subject: PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP!!!

Glad you replied back, We have nothing left on us right now but we're lucky to have our passports with us, it would have been worst if they had made away with our passports.Our return flight is leaving in the next few hours from now as i earlier told you and we don't want miss it,all we owe the hotel is just $2,850.00 USD to settle our bills at the hotel and get a cab to the Airport including feeding,but we'll appreciate whatsoever you can afford to loan us right now.Once the bills have been taken care of then we will quickly catch our return flight back home safely.You can have it wired to my name via Western union b'cos I'll have to show my passport as an ID to pick it up here and Western Union is 3blocks away from the hotel where we're staying. I promise to refund back as soon as we made it home safely.Here's my info below...

Name..xxxxxx
Location...101, ALBERT CARR GARDENS
STREATHAM, LONDON SW16 3HE
UNITED KINGDOM

Once you're done with it, kindly get back with the MTCN confirmation number including sender's first and last name and amount you sent,so our mind can be at rest.

We owe you a lot.

Reply ASAP.
Thank You.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: SAD NEWS!(HELP NEEDED)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:33:13 -0600

xxxxxxx,
Did you get everything worked out? Joe and I would be more than happy to help in any way! Please let us know what we can do.

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 9:40 AM
Subject: SAD NEWS!(HELP NEEDED)

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,I and my family came down here to London,United Kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately we got mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,wallet,credit card and cell were stolen off us,but luckily for us we still have our passport back in our hotel room.

We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight is leaving in few hours from now but we're having problems settling our hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills,We're freak out at the moment.

Reply Forward

Reply |xxxxxxxx
show details 1:10 PM (4 minutes ago)

Hi xxxxxx:

Michelle just forwarded me your email. I am actually in London right now for work. I will meet you at that location, can be there in 30 minutes and we can go to the hotel together and pay. Or we can just meet at your hotel. What hotel is it - I can just meet you there?

You got LUCKY!

Joe