Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#13804 by Atticus Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:46 pm
I'm a lawyer and received the following email (the names have been protected to change the innocent).

NAMECHANGED
M******** & T****** (M) Sdn Bhd

8 Aug, 2009

LEGAL REPRESENTATIVE REQUIRED

Dear Sir|Madam

We are a company based in Malaysia. We are into sales of long- Term Capital expenditure, such as equipment and machinery. Our target market is premised on Demographics and geographic. However, our firm has Accounts Receivable or Receivable delinquency from several firms and individuals in the U.S. The inability to receive these A/R has affected our cash inflow. In fact, our revenues have dwindled and this has negatively affected our operations and organizational goals.

To balance our cash inflow, we had to restructure our discounts. However, in spite of the attractive discounts, these firms and individuals have violated payment terms. Hence, we are seeking your services as a legal representative in the U.S. to ensure that our delinquent and payments due are settled. .

We are incapacitated by distance impediments to directly commence litigations. Hence, you should employ Mediation approach before a possible law suit. Below are the services we hope your firm can render to us.

1. Provide consultation and legal advice on delinquent payments

2. Advise us on mediation or possible lawsuit

3. Receive the said funds from the individuals and firms and keep in a trust account on our behalf until requested by our company.

4. About 50% of payments from America are used for the purchase of raw material, you will be instructed on how and when to disburse to our suppliers and furnish us with weekly or monthly details of how much was collected and subsequently disbursed.

Finally, due to the urgency that this demands, you can fax or email us at once with our email address.

With our best regards,

T*** S***.Head

International Operations.

A Google search engine search of the company name produced an Internet address linked to the name. Research of the address pointed to enom.com as the registrar.

The Whois from enom.com provides the following information:

WHOIS Information

Visit AboutUs.org for more information about d**-my.com
AboutUs: d**-my.com

Registrant:
Edwin F****
36 raimi oladimeji
street
apapa road lagos NG

Administrative:
Edwin F****
36 raimi oladimeji
street
apapa road lagos NG

Technical:
Edwin F****
36 raimi oladimeji
street
apapa road lagos NG
Nameserver:
NS7.ASIAIPHUB.COM
NS8.ASIAIPHUB.COM

Updated-date: 2009-09-06 11:31:50.000

Created-date: 2009-06-24 05:17:38.000

Registration-expiration-date: 2010-06-24 05:17:38.000

Domain: d**-my.com

I'm guessing this is bogus.
Advertisement

#13808 by crazy_horse Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 pm
Yes that is a scam email. Do you have the email address or addresses that are associated with this email (from addresses). If so, please post them so they can be found with an internet search.

I have seen one other instance recently where the scammers are intentionally targeting lawyers. Thanks for posting this! :)

#13814 by Jillian Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 am
Hi and thanks for posting. As Crazy_horse said, it's definitely a scam. It's a fraudulent check scam run through a fake debt collection scheme. We've seen quite a few of these lately, all pretty much the same, just the names/details change a bit. There is a whole thread of them here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1578 Most of them have been sent to us by lawyers who have been targeted. Please do post the email address associated with it and post any more of these that you receive. Many of the targeted lawyers have done searches and found the emails here because of posts like yours. Thanks again!

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners