Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#125155 by bonniet Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 pm
I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere in the forums, but I'm pretty sure many have heard of it.

On September 4 I noticed a check withdrawal from my bank of $99.49. I thought nothing of it since I had ordered medications from my pharmacy a few days before and it came to about that amount. The pharmacy had both my debit card and bank account information. Since I had received a new debit card on the same day, but forgot to change it when I ordered, I figured they just did an electronic check. I ignored it which was a horrible mistake.

This weekend, on Saturday, I noticed a check returned. Since I don't actually use checks, only e-checks and relatively few of those, it aroused my suspicion. This morning I called the bank. When I told the representative that I don't have or use checks on that account, she reminded me of the one earlier this month. I said I thought that was my pharmacy. She put me on hold and when she came back, I was in for a shock. She told me they were both from Premier Membership Clubs and that they were "remotely created checks" (e-checks). She also told me that they both bore my computer's IP, which she could see from the access IP I was using at the time.

I went online and found this (along with many other scam complaints)
http://www.scambook.com/company/view/57 ... ship-Clubs
There have been 3269 complaints with a total loss of nearly a million dollars.

Believe me, I had never heard of this company before and I most definitely did not authorize the checks. I went to my bank and completed a police report and bank fraud report. They changed my account and reversed the overdraft fees it had caused. They will eventually put the money that was drafted back in my account as well.

Bottom line, know your bank account and monitor it carefully. They must have gotten access via a phishing site since they had my IP.
Advertisement