Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#19695 by dhambone Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm
Hi, I don't know if anyone has any suggestions. I have been getting contacted by several Attorneys saying that someone is emailing and faxing them to do collection work using my company name and address. The scammer has even setup a website with our correct name and address but incorrect phone, fax and email. And I don't have a office in Japan. I have tried to see who owns the website but they have it privacy protected. I have reported abuse to the privacy protection people but there not really interested. The FBI and FTC said there was not much that could be done. Any Suggestions

Dave
Advertisement

#19697 by Jillian Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:49 pm
Hi Dave and welcome here. I'm sorry to hear that scammers are using your name. This isn't the first we've heard of this, unfortunately. We can likely help you get the fraudulent website shut down. Can you please give us more information on this? Please post what you know and we'll try to research for evidence of the scam.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#19704 by Jillian Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:37 pm
Thank you for that. Can you please email me the copies of faxes to Jillian @ ScamWarners.com? We'll need evidence of the scam. Do you have a website for your business? If so, please send a link to it in an email as well for evidence of the fraudulent nature of that spoof site. We should be able to get this suspended for you. You may want to put a warning about a Debt Collection Scam on your own site, if you have one. You can link to here and/or specifically the Debt Collection Scam thread, if you'd like.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

#19749 by Jillian Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Dave and I have been in touch through email, he has forwarded faxes of the scams received by the attorneys. I've submitted an abuse report on the fraudulent site to the registrar, Directi, and will update with any progress.

#19803 by Jillian Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 pm
The fraudulent site has been taken offline and the registrar put a clienthold on the domain name.

ICANN Registrar:DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Created:2009-09-15
Expires:2010-09-15
Updated:2010-01-08
Registrar Status:
clientDeleteProhibited
clientHold
clientTransferProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server:
NS1.SUSPENDED-DOMAIN.COM (has 3,249 domains)NS2.SUSPENDED-DOMAIN.COM (has 3,249 domains)

Maybe we should let the FTC and FBI know that something can be done about situations like this. :wink:

#19804 by Michael Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm
Excellent work! :=)

And I agree that the FTC and FBI deserve a thorough slap for their behaviour regarding these cases :evil:

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#19808 by dhambone Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 pm
You guys are great! Thanks for getting the fraudulent site taken down. One of the Attorneys (potential victim) reccomended I have my attorney try to investigate . I'm not sure how much that could cost. Hopefully because of your efforts they will leave me alone.I really appreciate you guys using your time and talent to help others. I will tell others about your great site.

Thanks
Dave
#19816 by Arnold Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm
dhambone wrote:One of the Attorneys (potential victim) reccomended I have my attorney try to investigate . I'm not sure how much that could cost.

A waste of time and money, I'm afraid. The Internet makes it too easy or scammers to be anonymous, And even if you trace him, law enforcement can't do much.