Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#2849 by Ralph Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:03 pm
I recieved a Phishing email today on my personnal email account stating that it was from the bank of America.

We do not get involved in phishing scams so much here however Some general advice on the subject may be of use to our visitors.

The major floor that I see in this email is that it was sent to me after I reported a phishing email, obviously I was already aware otherwise I would not have reported it.

The people that are not reporting these phishing emails are the ones they need to be targeting.

If you do recieve a phishing email (that is any email asking you to enter your account details including your password), then your best course of action is to report it to the bank where they will attempt to have the link closed.

I must point out that you should not report the fraud via links in the phishing email, a simple internet search should reveal the true sites details

The general advice email from the real bank is copied below

Thank you for contacting Bank of America to report a potentially fraudulent email, commonly referred to as a "phishing" email. We take your security very seriously and will investigate this matter immediately. If our investigation determines that the email is fraudulent, we will take steps to have the site shut down.

Please note that you will not receive any further response from this mailbox.

For general account inquiries, or other fraud-related events that do not include fraudulent emails, please call the customer service number located on your account statement or refer to the Reporting Fraud section of www.bankofamerica.com/privacy.

Stay safe from Phishing: Easy clues to help you keep your personal information secure.

The main goal of a phishing email is to get you to a site where you will provide your personal information. With these basic, but powerful, clues, you can easily recognize the threat and ensure the safety of your identity and finances.

1. Does the email ask you to go to a website and verify personal information? We won't ask you to verify your personal information in response to an email.
2. What is the tone of the mail? Most phish emails convey a sense of urgency by threatening discontinued service or information loss if you don't take immediate action.
3. What is the quality of the email? Many phish emails have misspellings, bad grammar, or poor punctuation.
4. Are the links in the email valid? Deceptive links in phishing emails look like they are to a valid site, but deliver you to a fraudulent one. Many times you can see if the link is legitimate by just moving your mouse over the link.
5. Is the email personalized with your name and applicable account information? Many phish emails use generic salutations and generic information (e.g. "Dear Customer" or "Dear Account Holder") instead of your name.
6. What is the sender's email address? Many phish emails come from an email address not from the company represented in the email.
7. When in doubt, type it out. If you suspect an email to be phishing, don't click on any links in the email. Type the valid address directly into your web browser.

For more information, and to enhance your anti-phishing arsenal with our free Bank of America Toolbar, please visit our Privacy & Security website at www.bankofamerica.com/privacy.
Advertisement