Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#164953 by TerranceBoyce Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm
To automan.

When contacting Companies House you might also like to mention MERIDIAN MOTORS LIMITED - struck off and dissolved in 2006.

Doing a little online research will be worthwhile.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#164997 by automan Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 am
Hi again TerranceBoyce
Both companies are owned by the same person Kennedy Ruto and are still in operation.
Phones are still working and they have only moved premises in January this year.

MERIDIAN MOTORS (K) LIMITED
Active - 08201064
UNIT 9 BIRCH COURT, CRYSTAL DRIVE, BIRMINGHAM, B66 1RB
MERIDIAN MOTORS AND MACHINERY SERVICES LTD
Active - 05936502
UNIT 9 BIRCH COURT, CRYSTAL DRIVE, SMETHWICK, WEST MIDLANDS, B66 1RB

A guideline of how to make the case would be appreciated. Particularly Template of a letter to
1. Barlcays Bank,
2. The home Office
3. The high Commission of Kenya in London
4. The Birmingham Police
5. Any solicitor in particular
6. My MP

Thanks for your advice in advance -
#165011 by TerranceBoyce Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 am
Let me state at the outset that I am not qualified to advise you and have no legal training whatsoever.

Having said that I can see no reason or purpose in contacting the High Commissioner of Kenya in London. His nationality, immigration status and his actions all fall under the jurisdiction of UK law and courts for as long as he resides in the UK. The Kenya High Commission will only be interested insofar as his activities may affect Kenya. Where this may be relevant I'll mention in pm to you.

Your primary focus must be to block the company involved going in to liquidation without your claim being registered. I'm presuming that your claim is against the company but you will need a solicitor to look at the documentation you hold to be certain. Any contract, order form, invoice and payment documentation will be relevant.

http://opencorporates.com/companies/gb/05936502

23 Apr 2013
FILING DATED 23 APRIL 2013
COMPULSORY STRIKE OFF SUSPENDED (DISS16(SOAS))

16 Apr 2013
FILING DATED 16 APRIL 2013
FIRST GAZETTE

The word 'compulsory' sounds interesting, and also the fact that it has been suspended. Bear in mind that a voluntary liquidation allows directors to walk away from a company without a care in the world, so blocking liquidation isn't in the director's interests, but you must ensure that Companies House are aware of your claim. I believe that you can do this by telephone, at which time you can register other concerns, if you have them.

I'll pass other information to you by pm, but another concern you can raise with Companies House is the use of what's known as 'Phoenix Companies' where a company folds and is immediately replaced by one which is ostensibly no different from the old one.

Using a name little different from the old one also raises concerns

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/reuseofcompanyname.pdf

You might wish to ask Companies House to consider whether or not the new company is merely the old one, using a 'prohibited name'.

Your chances of getting your money back aren't great, but you have options available to you.

I can't advise you but I can research and propose areas of interest worth pursuing. Contact Companies House by telephone at the earliest opportunity. It will ensure that your interest is registered and that you are informed of every step in the liquidation process. Your solicitor can advise you about the worth or necessity of applying to the Court for a CCJ. In deciding whether it is worthwhile, it isn't only the likelihood of it causing you to get your money but also the impact it might have on the business activities of other related companies.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#165049 by arnie Fri May 10, 2013 4:24 pm
Hi Terence, Yep reported and got a crime ref no., all copied and sent recorded with copies of all emails etc to the litigation department. I will have a formal letter of complaint ready to send. Could you advise on the content please? Also a friend is a solicitor and will put me in touch with the relevant people if after the statutory 8 week period I have no joy form Barclays. Also the FSA have been informed but don't want to know until after 8 weeks.
I hope I can post some good news soon.
Regards
Arnie
#165075 by TerranceBoyce Fri May 10, 2013 7:32 pm
Hi Arnie - it's been a hectic day.

Just to recap - you are a victim of 'Barclays Markandu' and the fact that money mule victims can currently receive a group classification is essentially the problem.

I cannot stress it strongly enough that the responsibility of banks with regard to KYC and money laundering legislation does not end with looking at a gas bill or passport when initially opening a bank account, and anyone from a bank who tells you it does, isn't competent to serve on a counter, let alone call themselves a manager.

You know the circumstances of your loss and can provide evidence and paperwork to support it, including a copy of the evidence of the payment you made. It is apparent that certain banks have a particular problem, or they're peculiarly unlucky. Though it's difficult to make an issue of an isolated instance, when you have been duped using an account that has already been reported as having been involved in money laundering, the situation is entirely different. A response of 'oops we dropped the ball' isn't an acceptable response. Banks have a legal obligation to act and in a situation where failure to react could result in bank staff going to prison, you'd expect a steely efficient reaction. If not, the conclusion is that no one takes the legislation seriously. I am not exaggerating when I say that failure to report/act in instances of money laundering renders individual members of staff themselves liable to prosecution. I don't imagine it's ever likely to happen, but i didn't write the law/rules.

I'll repeat the view of CIFAS - (CIFAS is the UK's Fraud Prevention Service with 270 Member organisations spread across banking, credit cards, asset finance, retail credit, mail order, insurance, investment management, telecommunications, factoring and share dealing) - in other words this is the banks talking

http://www.cifas.org.uk/moneymulescams_feb

Providers are legally required to close accounts that are used to launder money and can be heavily fined by international regulators if they fail to do so.

Money from drug dealing, investment and boiler rooms scams, fake lotteries, people trafficking and prostitution is pushed through these scams, so that ‘dirty’ money is made to appear as if it is ‘clean’.

Crimestoppers - (an independent charity helping to find criminals and help solve crimes) - supported by the police and government.

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/assets/files/Media%20Centre/more_info.pdf

Money Mules are breaking the law. Ignorance of the law is no defence. If you become a Money Mule you are liable to be prosecuted and could face up to 10 years in prison.

If you become a Money Mule, you could become part of a police investigation, and are often the easiest link in the criminal chain to track down.

The bank account of the Money Mule will be suspended. Being tagged as a fraudster makes it harder to obtain a bank account in the future, and to obtain credit.

A Money Mule is liable to pay back all the money that they have transferred through their account. This could total many thousands of pounds.

Banksafeonline - (The Bank safe Online website is run by the Payments Council, the body with responsibility for ensuring that payment services work for all those that use them in the UK.) - another banking representative body

http://www.banksafeonline.org.uk/common-scams/money-mules

Remember that even if you have nothing to do with the actual extraction of funds from another person's account, by allowing your account to be used to receive and transfer such funds, you will be acting illegally.

Ignorance is no excuse - allowing your bank account to be used for fraud can lead to up to 10 years’ imprisonment!

The FFA - (Financial Fraud Action UK is the name under which the financial services industry co-ordinates its activity on fraud prevention)

http://www.financialfraudaction.org.uk/money-mules.asp

The money you’re transferring is stolen, and what you’re doing is called money laundering, which is illegal. Involvement in money laundering can lead to a criminal sentence of up to ten years in prison.

Although the prospect of making some easy money may appear attractive, any money or ‘wages’ that you are given will be recovered by your bank because they are the proceeds of fraud. You will be the easiest link in the chain to track down and will be involved in any resulting police investigation. Your bank account will be closed down and details of the activity shared with other banks, making it hard for you to open up a bank account in the future.

Action Fraud - (Action Fraud is the UK’s national fraud reporting centre where you should report fraud if you have been scammed or defrauded) - effectively the police have some interesting facts and statistics here.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/money-mules-fake-jobs-lead-to-crime-feb11

The overall situation is unacceptable. Your particular case is one that is more effectively pursued because it evidences that money laundering procedures in some banks are palpably ineffective, otherwise different victims wouldn't be losing money to the same money mules again and again.

If I were the bank, in view of the nature of your case, I'd settle with you.

If it needs to go to the MP level I can synchronise contacting my MP with when you contact yours, if it gets to that level, though mine will be on the general issue.

#165576 by sameer14 Mon May 13, 2013 4:04 pm
i got similar problem scammed in 28/april /2013 by
account owner : Dinca llie
Owner Address : 1 Romney Court
Owner City : Sittingbourne
Owner Zip : ME10 2LH
Bank Name :BARCLAYS BANK
Bank Address : Finchley Road Golders Green
Bank City : London
Bank Zip : NW11 8RU
Sort Code : 20-29-41
IBAN : GB94 BARC 2029 4123 8276 07
SWIFTBIC : BARCGB22

Amount to be sent: US $1,200.00

if their is certain step to follow please put them in order.
#165595 by TerranceBoyce Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 pm
It would be helpful sameer14 if you could provide information of the scam offer you received.

I'm sorry you have lost money. I presume that you are not based in the UK. Is that correct ?

Have you reported it to the police ?

#165660 by sameer14 Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 pm
yes you are true am not from UK.
Below is how he offered me;

<[email protected]>:

Hi,

The final price for 3 x Apple iPhone 5 64GB is 1200 US$ shipping and
handling taxes included
We will close the deal through eBay Buyer/Seller Protection Program. In
this way we are both protected.

I will explain you how it works:
eBay will contact us (seller and buyer) with payment and delivery
instructions. You will send the money to eBay. Once the payment is made
and confirmed , eBay will notify me to start the delivery (it will take
24h to 48h to receive the package). Once you have the phones in your
hands , you have 7 days to inspect them to see if they are original ,
new , unlocked , working ...etc. If you want to keep them , you will
have to notify eBay that everything is OK so they can send me the money
. If you are not satisfied with the products you will get your money
back.

Let me know if you are interested because i need some details from you
in order to start this transaction.
Thank you !

I trusted on him when he said the deal will be done through e-bay.
Still i didn't report him to police.
can it be done online??

Thanks for your effort and for all of the information available here.
#165661 by sameer14 Tue May 14, 2013 12:00 am
By the way i notice that he used the same details that i provide him to make the faked invoice, so it looks like it is similar to an e-bay invoice with a case number.
Even he gave me US fax N.o to send a copy of the transaction slip,
International : 001 206-337-8217
USA : 206-337-8217
#165704 by TerranceBoyce Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 am
I have to be honest with you sameer14 and let you know that the chances of you getting your money bank are remote, but if you could post the bank account in the forum it would, at least, alert others who might become a victim. I'd also be interested to know what country you're from. I don't want or need any other detail from you. It's just useful to know how widely this fraud is affecting people from other countries.

Another thing that interests me is whether this is a personal account or a company account. This does make a difference.

You should report it to your local police and there is an online means of reporting it to the UK police but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for someone abroad to use. I'll check up on that. If a customer is using an account fraudulently the bank should be advised and, if you don't report it, they won't know.

#165752 by sameer14 Tue May 14, 2013 3:25 pm
i knew that am not going to get my money back & i posted that information here for others to be aware of these scammers and barclays bank should do something about it.
Am from Oman (middle east).
#165754 by sameer14 Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm
I did already post the information about the scammer here & his account information i think that is personnel account.
#167155 by scambusternumber1 Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 pm
Here's a new one (or maybe not) to add to the list.

Here are my bank details below:
MICHAL DABROWSKI
Bank - Barclays
Sort code 205304
Account 63669939
Let me know once you've made the payment, in order to confirm with the bank and to make the arrangements for collection.

Best Regards

- tatyanamarttynova

The amount that I will definitely not be sending is £1,271 - the amount I am supposed to pay as the winning bidder for this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mcintosh-MC500-Power-Amplifier-/271212029539?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AGB%3A1123&item=271212029539&nma=true&si=JWO5o%252FHHRZoa6YRCK4PX1UvuRzI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's a McIntosh MC500 amplifier. Thin air in truth of course.
#168684 by filipeventura Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:46 pm
Today was me :(

A used kitchen from Ebay for £2400.

All the details I have from him:

Ebay username llan9734
Name: Victor Rotary
Sort Code: 207353
Account n: 93889289
Barclays bank plc

He give me a invoice with the address:
11 Islwyn Court, Risca, Newport, Caerphilly, NP11 6LD

Even his mobile phone number I have...now with the European Tone :(

Who with success recovered the money ? If yes, how?
Who can help me?
#168688 by filipeventura Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:23 pm
worse,
I manage to speak with him...and I gave him my account details to do the refund as agreed.

Now I have strange movements in my account...from Italy??!!!

:(

I just took all my money from my account and report to the bank, police, to everyone. :(

:( sad day.