Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#161753 by sophiejj1 Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am
I am a 22 year old female currently employed as an Administrator for a telecommunications company. I recently took interest in part time modelling to make extra cash on the side. I came across an Agency called "Phat Pearls", i willingly applied as they required new talent dress size from 36 - 46 as i am a 36.

Below is the response i got. Can someone help me verify if this agency isnt a scam. I am concerned why her email address states "via srs.bis7.eu.blackberry.com" and she requested for cash before meeting me in person???

[email protected] via srs.bis7.eu.blackberry.com
6:11 PM (22 hours ago)

to me
Hi Again

I really can't get over how pretty u r! U show a lot of potential. I normally only sign people on after I meet them but I'm will u sign with u without meeting u coz I can see u definitely have wat we r looking 4!

All u have 2 do now is pay the R350 admin fee & I'll send u yo' contract. U will also automatically b invited 2 our casting which we having on 27 April so we can meet & I can furnish u with more detail on the way forward.

Our banking details r as follows:
<Removed - CW>

Use yo' name & surname & let me know once u have made payment so I can e-mail u yo' contract.

Also, go to facebook & like our pages so u up to date with all the latest news. Search for:
Phat Pearls International &
Plus Model Tanya K

I'm really looking 4ward 2 working with u babes!

Regards
Tanya

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
Last edited by Con Warner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed bank details.
Advertisement

#161756 by TerranceBoyce Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 am
http://phatpearls.com/index.php

Website registered January 26, 2013

If they could get you work, they wouldn't need to take any money off you up front.

Paying for work without any guarantee you'll get any is not a good idea.

You're paying for a casting opportunity without any knowledge as to whether or not they've ever supplied models to anyone.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#161764 by jolly_roger Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 am
Hold the bus sophiejj1. I would not be parting with any cash. Phatpearls.com is linked to public IP address 174.120.18.6 which is currently hosted by ThePlanet.com Internet Services. phatpearls.com is valued at $0 USD because it could be making around $0 USD per day. We estimate that this domain receives about 0 hits each day. Report dated Wed 10 April 2013.

Domain Address: phatpearls.com, Server Host Location: Houston in United States.
Registrant Contact: Daryl Monnink, 8 Thorn Street, Weltevredenpark, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Creation date of the site: 26 Jan 2013 and the expiration date: 26 Jan 2014.
I certainly would not be going anywhere near this.
The reason you saw "via srs.bis7.eu.blackberry.com" simply means the message was sent from a blackberry because that is what they all show.
#161857 by TerranceBoyce Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:17 pm
The general rule is that legitimate agencies

"...... don't get any money until you get paid for doing the work they have obtained for you."

The risk is that all they'll do, at the most, is post your details and photo on their website and leave it at that.

Don't pay a cent before viewing the contract. It may oblige you to make more payments, making your initial payment a waste of money if you don't lay our more cash.

They're unprofessional and you must make sure they don't just take advantage of you. Make sure you get more than just flattery and sweet talk for your money.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#165123 by sophiejj1 Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 am
Thank you for your guidance TerranceBoyce and jolly_roger, with your help i made the right decision. I will continue to search for other agencies, i can only hope for the best :)
Last edited by Con Warner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Replaced "illegitimate" with "other"
#170439 by Tanyak Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 am
Hi All

My name is Tanya and I am the director of the model agency in question. We are a legitimate and legally registered company and have all the supporting documents to this effect. My cell number is +27 78 943 8664 should anyone wish to contact me for further clarity on the matter.

Regards
Tanya
#170520 by Con Warner Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:34 am
Maybe so but there is no physical address on the website and just a mobile number for contact.
Then you ask for payment up front!

Would you part with your money in such circumstances?

There have been many "model agencies" using this kind of tactic, leaving in their wake a lot of disappointed young girls.
Last edited by Con Warner on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Grammar

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
#170545 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm
I think that the person behind this is getting their phone numbers and their various enterprises muddled.

I can clarify if it should be necessary.