Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#196359 by Inspector Gadget Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:54 am
I received a very nice looking email from Paypal overnight, addressed to me, by name, in full saying my recent transaction had been declined.
Now, I've recently changed bank accounts but I've not made any purchases using Paypal for about 3 weeks. However, it was addressed to me personally and it was only as a result of working at this sort of site that my suspicions were raised.
I can't reproduce the email as such, it's full of graphics, but it's an exact copy of a real Paypal message except in the top right hand corner :
Xxxxx,why your transaction was declined
Trouble reading this? View online
Add [email protected] to your Address Book

note the extra 'e' in the email address

Futher down after the blurb about the transaction being declined you are invited to add a card by clicking on a button 'add card'
This directs you to :

"https://email-edg.paypal.com/"

It even has the warning bit at the bottom

How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or ‘phishing’ emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name. Find out more here.

If you click on 'find out more here' you go to :

https://email-edg.paypal.com/r/06OEXBS/ ... 2QK5X/TT/h

When I get more time I'll print off the email, scan it and attach a copy here.

For now. If you get an email like this NEVER click on the link supplied, log on to the website in the normal fashion on a new tab and check your profile. Call Paypal (it's an 0800 number in the UK) and they'll check your account, if you call up the number from the Paypal contact screen after logging in you'll get a 6 digit code and they'll check your account before speaking to you, they were very helpful.
Advertisement

#204827 by Sam Cn Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:45 pm
I've received the same email, address to my name and looks like an official email.

I checked paypals proper site and my transactions and couldn't see anything that failed a payment.

I don't mind fake emails since they never use my name and easy to spot but this one is creative.