Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#100479 by Bryon Williams Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 am
Craigslist Scammer - Gordon Russell [email protected]

[email protected]

In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your 'item'

In this scam the scammer will ask the Seller to cash a Cashiers Check/Money Order that is for MORE than the price of the 'item'. He will then ask the Seller to send the OVERPAYMENT to his FAKE SHIPPER by Western Union or Moneygram to pay for the pickup and shipping.

That money will be lost forever.

Hi I just saw your item posted on craigslist and am so much interested in buying it,can i get it or sold already?

to: xxxxxxxx
date: Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM
subject: Re: Acer Laptop

Hello,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up immediately after payment have been received by you. I don't mind adding an extra thirty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Please reply with your full names,cell phone number,and address or P.O box, where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards

Hello,
Hope you are keeping well. I am in London now on a business trip but i have ask my assistant to send your payment out today.Please i want you to hold it for me .It will take few days to get the payment.
Thanks

Even if your bank tells you that the check/Money Order has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days.

But later, when the check/Money Order goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check/Money Order will be returned and you will be held responsible.

It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check/Money Order to you. The bank also may have you charged with 'Financial Fraud'.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#100950 by Bryon Williams Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm
Note the new email address. Scammer now mentions the over payment. He will send a fake check or money order. Want a victim to send the difference back to him by Western Union.

G Russell [email protected]

reply-to: G Russell <[email protected]>
to:
date: Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM
subject: Acer Laptop

Hi,
How are you doing,hope fine.Your payment have been sent already but i just noticed there is a mix-up in the payment my assistant sent to you.After reconciling my account, I discovered that She sent an over payment to you. The payment meant for another item was sent to you in error. I have been trying to retrieve it but to no avail. I am very worried. Please as soon as you receive the money order, get it deposited at your bank, deduct your payment and send the balance via western union money transfer to me . Please let me know if i can count on you to do this for me.Expecting to hear from you soonest.
Thanks

Even if your bank tells you that the check/Money Order has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days.

But later, when the check/Money Order goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check/Money Order will be returned and you will be held responsible.

It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check/Money Order to you. The bank also may have you charged with 'Financial Fraud'.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#173268 by crawferg Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 pm
Thank you for posting this. He's now using the name "D Norris." Same email address, [email protected]. I got this from him: "I would like to buy, do you still have for sale? I am interested.please email me directly at my private email [email protected] lets us proceed"
His language just sounded stilted. Plus, why would I have to email him directly? He just wants my email address. You saved me some grief.
#173270 by Bryon Williams Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:25 pm
Hello crawferg,

The scammer wanted you to email him directly because he did not want his scam email messages going through Craigslist mail system.

It is a little difficult for scammers to use Craigslist with their IP's. Once they get the tools to do it they don't want to lose it.