Room for Rent and other rental scams
#97585 by Con Warner Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:04 pm
Date: 21 April 2012 11:11
Subject: Re : 1br - Renovated luxury 1 bedroom quiet and private duplex in the heart of Pa
To: Con Warner

Attn: Con,

I APPRECIATE YOUR INTEREST IN MY 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT SLEEPS UP TO 4.

Apartment Ads: http://paris.fr.craigslist.fr/vac/2935539623.html..

Apartment Address:
18 Rue Duphot 75001 Paris France, 1st arrondissement...

Luckily the apartment is available for the date you are requesting. 11/05/2012 – 14/05/2012 (3 nights)

RATE: @ € 70 per night, for 3 nights: € 210

The Actual rate for the 3 nights is: (€ 210). To secure your date, you are to pay 50% of the actual rate which is (€ 105) plus a (€ 300) refundable security deposit all in total is (€ 405).
The reaming 50% of the rent you will pay upon your arrival.

Note: Payment has to be made before I can secure you date.

The apartment is not a shared apartment and there are fresh linens and towels are included in the apartment.

The apartment will be conducive for all of you that are staying in the apartment.

There are no additional fees included in the price.

Past Tenant that visited last

Mr. Dan Smith: The place is very well located, very clean, I recommend it: [email protected]

Attach are more pictures to the apartment.

Get back to me as soon as you can if still interested, so as to get the Agreement Booking Form.

Sincerely,
Anthony.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#101392 by perrys Fri May 11, 2012 6:08 am
We rent out apartments in Jerusalem Israel. This rental scammer ([email protected]) started posting our listings on craigslist, and got a reply from a potential guest. Fortunately the would be guest contacted us, and didnt transfer money to the scammer. But its scary!
#130333 by Con Warner Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 am
New wording and email address
Subject: Re: Midtown Unit
To: Con Warner

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY APARTMENT: 2 BEDROOM - SLEEPS UP TO 5

Your Dates is available, Nov 8TH – Nov 11TH, 3 nights is $450 (@$150 per night). To secure the Apartment down for your dates 50% of the rental fee will be required = ($225) + $500 a fixed refundable damage security deposit, so all you need pay to book down the Apartment for your desire dates is = $725 to reserve your dates.

The remaining 50% balance will be paid when you arrive to the apartment and your damage security deposit of $500 will be refunded to you on your departure date.

The apartment is located on: 560 W 43rd St, Cross by 11th Ave and 10th Ave, New York, NY 10036

APARTMENT ADS: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/3324154173.html

The kitchen is fully equipped and has a dishwasher. In the bathroom you can relax thanks to its atmosphere and its great bathtub with shower head. The owner shall provide each tenant with a towel. If you would like more, the flat is fully equipped and furnished. Includes Wi-Fi broadband and a TV Plasma. There are washing machine and a dryer in the apartment. Amenities includes: Central air conditioning, Parking space available, Refrigerator, microwave, Ice Maker.

We provide blankets and pillows for the maximum capacity of the apartment, free of charge. (The bedroom apartment is allotted of blankets/sheets/pillows - 1 for each bed, and 1 for the sofa bed). The customer can order additional sheets, blankets, and pillows for free

The apartment’s location is ideal for those who want to enjoy their journey. This apartment is part of the most economically attractive proposition you will be offered in your search for a holiday accommodation. The neighborhoods are safe and lively, and many wonderful restaurants just steps away. Order your dinner for delivery and enjoy the view.

Offering free shuttle from the airport pick up and drop off.

There are no additional fees included in the price.

I will like to give u two of our tenants who visited last.

Mr. Alexander and his wife with their kid visited for 7 nights: [email protected]

Please do get back to me if you are interested so I can issue you a booking form for date reservation and also the payment instructions.

Wait to hear back from you as soon as possible.

Best Regards.
Anthony Salinas.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
#144874 by lanemeyer Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:15 pm
Yeah, they're now using a new domain for their scam: http://comfortableuniquehomes.com/ which raised a flag since I saw they just registered it a month ago! Here's there phone number (513)-223-6042. don't even bother.

Just got this reply about a place I wanted for a week in Santa Monica. However, I vaguely remembered a similar listing I saw last year and I remembered it feeling scammy. Sure enough, I live in LA so I actually know the neighborhood and building listed and there is NO WAY they could afford to charge the prices they do, the monthly rents are twice that on average. Plus, no credit cards accepted? c'mon. And oh yeah, notice that now it's Dan Smith replying to me, yet in earlier posts Dan Smith is referenced as a testimonial? People just suck sometimes.

"Hi ,

We appreciate your response choosing our apartment for your next Vacation/Holiday.

Our delightful, bright and spacious Two bedroom apartment is available for the date (01/15/2013 and leaving 01/20/2013). The apartment is located in a wonderful central area and close to wide array of shops, restaurants and bars.

Accommodation:
Two Bedroom: 3 Adults (Maximum)

2200 Colorado Avenue Santa Monica, CA 90404(Two Bedroom Santa Monica,CA)

Charges:
Two Bedroom: $55 per Night/$385 per week - Charges includes all utilities

To confirm guest reservation:
- we accept 40 percent reservation deposit and balance require to be paid upon arrival. Or you may pay in full at the time of the booking.
- We also require payback $200 security deposit for any damage done during your lodge.

Breakdown Charges -
Charges for 1 week is $385 (40%) is $154 + $200 refundable security deposit should be made available. Total deposit of $354 has to be deposited to the flat owner before we can confirm your reservation.

Availability:
- Air Condition, Microwave, Washer, Oven, DVD, Sound systems, Dryer, LCD Tv, Cable TV
- All our apartment fully furnish and has fully equipped kitchen
- We supply all linens, and there is parking space.
- High speed wireless internet for your convenience.

Payment Option:
Wire Transfer

Weblink - http://comfortableuniquehomes.com/california.html

Please, let us know how we can help you more.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATRONAGE

Notice - All our apartment has security door which you only need code to access it. We also offer free shuttle service anywhere in the states on request to locate the apartment and assist you with luggage upon arrival.

Best Warmest

Dan Smith"
#144879 by Mike Wilson Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:16 pm
The website is in the process of being reported for fraud.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon