Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#109665 by nikkishines Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am
This past week my mom received a cheque for $10,000 Canadian. She was to take the cheque keep part of it and wire the rest to a business associate overseas whose daughter was suffering with cancer. Red flags!!!!! Should be flying in her head but no she thought it was all legitimate. She went to the western union they refused to do anything with the cheque informing her it was probably a scam as they had two similar situations that same week, more red flags!!! Not for my mom she then went to the bank and deposited the cheque into her bank account where she was then warned it was probably a scam did she listen???? Nope she wired the amount she was supposed to wire through money mart from her account. The bank called today her account is in overdraft for the $10,000 because the cheque didnt't clear and the funds are untraceable. She has been sending money from her own funds for months to guys she met online that instantly fell in love with her and now this. How can a person not see these are scams. The instant she first sent money I came on the Internet and printed off emails and other info on how these scams work and even found the name of the guy on a scam list and found an email that was sent to someone else with the exact same word for word love letter. I cannot seem to get through to her that there are people out there willing to ruin other peoples lives. Apparently the guy that sent the cheque has contacted her and said it was all a misunderstanding. I just don't want her to end up in jail or possibly worse murdered. The worse part of this is my name was also on the account so if she can't fix it then I can be held responsible for the 10 grand. Please if anyone has any info that might help me drive it home that this is all the work of a scammer please reply to this post. I'm getting scared that if she doesn't comply with these scammers they will somehow find us and do something harsh.
Advertisement

#109768 by AlanJones Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 am
Unfortunately, it appears that your mother is a constant victim and will continue to lose money to scammers for as long as she has money to send (and more if she can beg, steal or borrow money).

If the bank account that she drew the money from is in joint names then I'm afraid that you will be jointly liable for the money and the bank will come after you for it as well as her. There is also the worry that the bank may decide to involve law enforcement, particularly as your mother seems to have been made well aware that she was dealing with a scam, yet carried on regardless. It is hard to say, but if I was you, I would seriously consider cutting all financial links with your mother and removing your name from the bank account. It is too late now for the $10,000 but it could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

For more information about check scams, you can look at this thread here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about the scammers coming after you or your mother. Firstly, they are likely to be based in somewhere like Africa, secondly there is nothing in it for them to do so - they are just after money (which they have got from her).

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#122133 by Spook Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 am
Same picture now being used here........

http://en.netlog.com/jerryhutt
jerryhutt
online male - 46 years, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I'm a man that is living life as it comes to me. I don't worry about tomorrow, for it will be here no matter what I do.The best days of my life are yet to come...am looking for someone who will love and care about me for a long time relationship that can lead to marriage. Although I would consider myself a romantic, I don't believe that life is about the 'grand passion.' In reality it is more about comfortable comrade. I am a really fun person who loves people,loves to laugh, I am very caring,love music...I am a devoted friend. I like to have fun,I have strong moral values with honesty and integrity being the core of my personality, am very cool, i respect my dignity....I'm excited to see new places, meet new people and do new things.I'm not a fighter and I don't argue, life's too short but I do value friendship and intimacy.Respect is one of the most important requisites in a relationship, as are honesty and commitment. I enjoy going out to dinner, movies, walks,and quiet times.

#122182 by nikkishines Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm
The man in this picture claimed to be a man named George he somehow paid off my moms credit card and told her to send back $9000 off that credit card. She couldn't do it because the bank wouldn't allow it to happen after what happened with the check scam. So my dad cancelled the credit card and oddly enough whatever George used to pay off the credit card didn't process so all the charges came back on the credit card plus the money she used on there again thinking it was paid off. She had to change her phone number and email address cause he was calling her up to 10 times a day wanting his money back. These people are ruthless, one gentleman found what I had written on here about him and emailed to her as kind of a warning that I needed to not do stuff like this. I can't believe there's low lives like this that prey on innocent people and make them believe its legitimate. My moms probably out $40,000 or so and I'm still not sure she believes these people exist. I myself phoned one of the scammers who told me she was the one who scammed him.