Information on romance scams and scammers.
#112133 by waryone Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:48 pm
Anybody know about this guy? He romanced me on Yahoo Messenger for about four months then after promising to come home to meet me, he suddenly had tax problems in the UK and needed $20,000 to pay to the United Kingdom Revenue Board or they were going to withhold $250,000. When I declined after his several requests and told him I was going to block him, he got violently angry and made threats to have his "friends" in the US pay me a visit. I had to change my cell and home phone number and stay with family and friends until I was comfortable to go home.

He claimed to be born in Norway, but raised in the US, but he had an awfully heavy accent for someone who had spent two thirds of his life over here.

I have a picture from his Facebook profile, but I don't know how to post it.
Last edited by waryone on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#112136 by Dotti Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:26 pm
What you are describing is textbook African scammer.

Many African scammers can be very aggressive and misogynistic, becoming angry with victims for not complying with their demands, and resorting to threats when they know they won't get money through their usual scam methods.

The good news is, they are not near you and never will be. They don't have "friends" in the US. They like to think they are some gangster-type macho man, but in reality they are cowards, hiding behind fake names and copied words, stealing from people halfway across the world, in order to avoid having to face the consequences of their actions.

If you can post some of the messages he sent you, it may help other victims, as these scammers often reuse their messages on other victims. Instructions for posting photos are in my signature line.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#112213 by Grunt Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:52 pm
for google to pick up

Image Image
#112220 by Grunt Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm
meetme
alex james

facebook.com
Van Nelson
Worked at ContractorWent to New Jersey
Lives in Salt Lake City, Utah
From Provo, Utah

facebook.com
Brain Gere
Worked at A/S Torm
Studied at Robert Morris University

facebook.com
Jared G. Ebelhar
Interests
Activities PlentyofFish

ecodater
nick71
Looking for: Serious relationship or marriage with a woman, 20 to 40

pics show
Nick Simpson
48 from New South Wales, Australia
Model, Actor

http://www.starnow.com.au/nicksimpson1
#112312 by Grunt Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 am
with the above email address --- profiles on QP and MS

Alex James
Male, 48
hollywood, Florida

About me:
i am popular, trustworthy and dependable person. People like me for many reasons; among them are stable, loyal and caring. iam also a guardian. my relationships with friends, kin and colleagues are very important to me. So i spend time and energy developing and nurturing these social networks. i work hard. and i like plans and schedules. i am detail oriented. i follow the rules. And i have respect for customs and traditions., fun loving , however. i like novelty-with in limits
Who I'd like to meet:
i will love to meet someone that is caring,honest and most of all trustworthy...who i will spend the rest of my life with

Details
Here for: Serious Relationships
Hometown: oslo :lol:
Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Religion: Christian - other
Education: College graduate
Income: $30,000 to $45,000

#112446 by waryone Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 am
I figured out that MS is MySpace, but what is QP. Sorry don't know a lot of the lingo. If he is an engineer he must not be a very good one if he only makes $30-40,000.00 a year :laugh-s: . Maybe this was posted before he got that $250,000 contract!
#112456 by Grunt Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 pm
@waryone
sorry ...
QP is the social site quepasa :)
#112462 by Grunt Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 pm
tell me more about yourself first ok...i look forward to hear from you.
Received: from [208.53.157.25]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012
IP: 208.53.157.25
Hostname: www.massproxy.info :mrgreen:
Organization: FDCservers.net
Services: Suspected proxy server
State/Region: Illinois
City: Chicago
#113001 by waryone Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 am
I guess I owe an apology to all the victims. I don't have any chats or emails to share. They have all been deleted from my computer and turned over to the FBI by a close personal friend, who is in the, (I'll call it) intelligence community. Since no money changed hands the FBI agent I spoke with said there will likely be no further actions, so much for using my connections.

Any traces of my contact with Alex have been "sanitized" (by friend's term) and my computer has some pretty intense security, so I don't worry about being contacted by another scammer as I understand happens when you make it onto their lists.

I see that Alex is still out there, trolling on QuePasa now for his next victim. I guess as long as there are people out there gullible enough to believe that something that is too good to be true, in my case a handsome :laugh-s: stranger falling in love with you, these scumbags will have a long list of victims. :yikes:
#116060 by crane0456 Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am
OMG, I have been searching the net high and low for this guy. He has my wife in the midst of a romance scam that has our marriage on the rocks at a minimum. He contacted her claiming to be an old high school classmate and somehow has her completely convinced that his is the real thing, right down to the accent she remembers for over 30 years ago. How can he do this?

So far I have proven that the passport he gave her is fake, I called the US Embassy in London and the employee there told me the passport number didn't match the name, but she couldn't tell me anything else. He sent a bogus letter for the United Kingdom Oil Board, confirmed by a member of the London Metro police is fake, no such organization exists. I called his alleged employer and he does not now or never has worked for Exxon Mobil. He uses the same photos of Nick Simpson that others have cited above. Now the phone number she calls to reach him is in Nigeria. None of this matters.

She has sent him several thousand dollars to help him get home and now phase 2 of the scam is taking place. He claims to have mailed her a package with a huge sum of money in it that has been seized in Malaysia and can only be released with the payment of over $8,000. I KNOW this is a scam but she is completely wrapped up in this scam and will NOT stop contact, will not cooperate with law enforcement and actually asked me to help her get this money, so she can prove that he is real or not real.

Isn't there something I can do to help her realize he is robbing her. I am afraid our 17 year marriage is going to end. I have done everything within my power to put a stop to this but nothing has worked.
#116139 by Bubbles Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:44 pm
I am sorry to hear your situation crane0456. Romance scammers are real skilled at getting their hooks into their victims. Apparently, your wife is getting something of benefit from the "relationship" with this scammer. It sounds like she knows he is in Nigeria and he has convinced her that he doesn't want to stay there.

You are correct, $8,000 will not get the money released, because there is NO money. Only more lies. Getting people to believe they have been scammed is often very difficult because they have put so much emotional energy into the "relationship".

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#116456 by crane0456 Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm
Can anyone explain how these scammers can make someone believe that they are actually a friend from the past. My wife's scammer is using the persona of a high school classmate that was born in Norway, but raised in the US and she swears that his accent on the phone is the same as she remembers. He supposedly knows details about their time together in high school. Since it has been 30 years since she last saw him I am thinking that she wants it to be true and her mind is filling in the blanks.
#116501 by Bubbles Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:23 pm
That is exactly what they do. They let the victim's )your wife in this case) mind and imagination fill in the blanks. They really know nothing about you or your wife. They only know that they have a strong possibility to extract money from you.

All they have to say is "Yeah, those were the best times...", "I had the most fun ever...." and people fall for it.

Have you had her ask him any specific questions about there she grew up that is not searchable on the internet? A favorite hang out place, some inside joke around the school. He will not know unless she gives him a hint or flat out tells him to keep the fantasy going.

He won't want to leave easily, he sees that 8,000 and just wants to bring it home to his bank account.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.