Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#111637 by DAYLIE Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Hi All,
I am posting this in the hope it will make more honest sellers aware of the potential risk to scammers out there.
After reading several topics on this site, I feel alot more aware and certain my conclusion that this posing buyer was indeed a scammer, thank you all for sharing.

TO EXPLAIN:
I recently listed a few "bigger boys toys" on Gumtree. I got almost instant replys via TEXT, now heres the weird part to start with, I was unable to reply via text, so could only send an email in response as the potential buyer supplied their email address in the text. His email was: :arrow: [email protected]

They were quick to respond to my email with this:

"Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my dad as a surprise gift. I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments and and how much are you giving it away for me, and if you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one log on to http://www.paypal.com.au it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap..."

My response was this:

hi mate im after $1700 how would you pick the boat up.

He sent back:

Am okay with the price so kindly let me have your paypal email address so that i can make the payment asap and will also make an arrangement on the pickup once the payment has been cleared in your account ...[/color]
I responded with:
i prefer bank deposit

He then said:
Hello,thanks so much for getting back to me..I would have loved to pay the the way you have suggested but right now am not in the position of where i can handle cash to someone to pay you on my behalf and i do not have access to my bank account which is why i have insisted on paying you withe paypal because its very safe and fast for me to do transaction online...you can easily set an account up wit paypal by gong to http://www.paypal.com and once you have done that and you send me your detail i will then be going ahead in making the payment and once the payment has been made my pick up agent will then come over for the pick up[/color]

I then sent this:
Hi Ray,

Simply forward the $1,700.00 payment to my current paypal account via email (removed for privacy)@yahoo.com
Please supply your full details so I can make note of it for the invoice & trailer rego transfer. Or if preferrable, provide your full info and I can create a paypal invoice for you.
After payment, Let me know which carrier you will be arranging to collect the boat through & when, so I can ensure someone is available to assist.
Pick up will be from <insert suburb name here > NSW 2222

Regards,
Dave

I'm a bit hesitant at this stage as I have never sold something of such high value to anyone who hasn't even bothered to inspect it prior to paying, or asked a whole lot about the condition or history of the boat, but I push my doubt aside which all comes crashing down when I get THIS reply from him:

Thanks so much for getting back to me and for concluding about selling this item to my dad,i really appreciate it,i am going to transfer the money into your account right now but before i do that,i will like to add the sum of $850 to the amount we agreed on and i will like to know if you would help me to transfer it to my shipping agent via western union money transfer here in New South Wales, Australia.I would ve love to do this myself but currently i am very busy on ocean because i am a marine engineer and there is no where on the sea i could send the money and the only payment method the shipping agent accepted is western union.I would be very happy if you would help me and i want you to get back to me with your reply so i can transfer everything together and get back to you as soon as POSSIBLE will also pay all the paypal charges

(note he doesn't mention the item description here, he refers to it as 'the item" like he has used this same message many times for any number of "items" and note his occassional typo or "bad english" which I initially ignored thinking its easy to make a typo and not spell check etc..) :yikes:
Alarm bells are ringing in my head now, HELLO?! :!: Who uses western union these days?! and what transport co would ask for such a method of payment....not likely...so I ask him:

Ray,

which carrier are you using? as its not a usual payment method to pay via western union to any transporter in Australia, and is very unsafe for both of us to release funds in this way.
If you wish to proceed, I suggest you get a close friend or family member to arrange the funds transfer on your behalf for the shipping side of things, as this is not my responsibility & I would hate to be held liable for conducting this on your behalf if things don't go to plan. Sorry mate, I just don't trust western union payments. It is already highly unusual for some-one to be buying from me an item of large expense without even inspecting it prior to purchase, but totally your choice due to your explained curcumstances. I suggest you get written proof from the carrier/transporter of their asking price & payment method before proceeding.
Awaiting your full details: name, address etc so I can create the paypal invoice for you, as you will need this proof of purchase in order to get any rego on the boat trailer.

Regards,
Dave.

His reply is:

Message flagged Thursday, 5 July 2012 9:16 AM
Hello,it seems you do not get my message..what i meant was that i will like to add the sum of $850 to the payment which i do like you to help me in transferring it to my shipping company via western union money transfer,as it is the money for the service they are going to render for picking it up..i would have love to do it myself but as i have said before i am on sea presently and there is no where on ocean i can send money using western union which is why i will like you to kindly do it for me so that they can come over to pick it up and this is the only payment method they accept.

What you are going to do is that as soon as you have received the payment confirmation from paypal kindly go to any western union around your place or you can go to the post office there is western union there and have the money sent to my agent to the below address,

Lynn M Smits
52 Hurt Parade
Unanderra NSW 2519

Hope this is clearer to you now?

thank you

So of course I search for details on a shipping agent with the above details and come up with nothing...looks like they don't exist...I have of course ceased communicating with the scammer and have dumped all msgs into my spam folder.
I'm convinced now this was indeed a scam attempt after reading all the clues to look for here on this site. I'm sure his intention was to send me a fake email posing as an paypal confirmation payment notification saying the funds had been transferred then get me to draw on my own money and wire the western union transfer off to god knows who with a fake ID to collect it. Hope this helps make others aware of the potential risk when selling online, always double check details, and verify all payments supposedly sent to you via paypal by actually checking your paypal account to see if the payment is indeed there, unlike ESCROW, Paypal will not "HOLD" funds until you supply tracking info or the like to verify, it should clear instantly....and I would knock back any suggestion to perform payments on a strangers behalf, especially via western union which once paid cannot be claimed back. Heres hoping this post helps you conduct safe selling online!
Advertisement

#111685 by DAYLIE Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:18 am
wow, they just keep coming, have another scam attempt on one of my gumtree listings today, this time for my tinny, the new scammers email addy is: :arrow: [email protected]
same scenario, not refering to the listing by name, only as "the merchandise" and asking for paypal details again, and saying they are unable to make payment in any other way. not supplying a contact number or personal details, he only refers to himself as "Peter'
His responses are sounding so automated like he has spammed the response email so many times before.
So sick of this crap, I've had more scammer replys to my listings than legit it makes me so mad :evil:
#112082 by lolatscammers Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 am
HELLO ALL

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!

HERES THE EMAILS

ME :

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the furniture,
yes everything is still up for sale.

Would you like to arrange for a inspection?

Regards,

Richard
item link:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/m-my-ad.html?adId=1004236394

HIM:

Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my dad as a surprise gift. I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments and and how much are you giving it away for me, and if you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one log on to www.paypal.com.au it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap......

ME:

Hello mike,

Yes i do have a paypal account, it would be under **********@****.com
however i do prefer cash on hand so that being said the price displayed on the website was $1800 for the whole set; (table 6 chairs display cabinet and buffet) if its cash i could possibly do $1700
however $1800 would be paypal price.
unfortunately i can not go for anything under that price the table has been used literally once, a few of the chairs still have the plastic on it. its practically only been there for display.

thank you for your interest!

HIM:

ike Ray [email protected]
7:44 PM (33 minutes ago)

to me
Thanks so much for getting back to me and for concluding about selling this item to my dad,i really appreciate it,i am going to transfer the money into your account right now but before i do that,i will like to add the sum of $750 to the amount we agreed on and i will like to know if you would help me to transfer it to my shipping agent via western union money transfer here in New South Wales.I would ve love to do this myself but currently i am very busy on ocean because i am a marine engineer and there is no where on the sea i could send the money and the only payment method the shipping agent accepted is western union.I would be very happy if you would help me and i want you to get back to me with your reply so i can transfer everything together and get back to you as soon as POSSIBLE will also pay all the paypal charges

ME:

Hello Mike

Im sorry i do not wish to receive any sum more than what i asked for.
I do not wish to make this trade so complicating.
A simple money transfer face to face would be great, so the options we have are if you would like the item(s)
cash $1700aud face to face
paypal transfer $1800aud

once payment is made the item is yours and we can arrange for a pick up date and time.

i understand your situation however from past experiences i would like to keep this trade as simple as possible
thanks

HIM:

Mike Ray [email protected]
7:59 PM (19 minutes ago)

to me
Hello,it seems you do not get my message..what i meant was that i will like to add the sum of $750 to the payment which i do like you to help me in transferring it to my shipping company via western union money transfer,as it is the money for the service they are going to render for picking it up..i would have love to do it myself but as i have said before i am on sea presently and there is no where on ocean i can send money using western union which is why i will like you to kindly do it for me so that they can come over to pick it up and this is the only payment method they accept.

What you are going to do is that as soon as you have received the payment confirmation from paypal kindly go to any western union around your place or you can go to the post office there is western union there and have the money sent to my agent to the below address,

Lynn Smits
52 Hurt Parade
Unanderra NSW 2519

thank you

******************THIS IS WHEN I GOOGLED THE LYNN SMITHS AND FOUND THIS SCAMMERS WARNING SITE*********

ME:

once i recieve the paypal confirmation i will send it off to western union.

thank you very much for your business

*********BECAUSE IM CURIOUS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT*********

HIM:

Mike Ray [email protected]
8:09 PM (10 minutes ago)

to me
Thanks for the mail...i will be making the payment to you shortly as i need to confirm from my agent regarding the pick up arrangement before i proceed with the payment..Please stay online cos i will mail you once i am through with the payment now and you will be notify on how to receive the funds in your account......and kindly withdraw the item from the ad will also love to have your mobile number so that i can call you and make an arrangement for the pickup..

Cheers
#112284 by Bubbles Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 am
Welcome to ScamWarners. Yes, these are scams with no doubt. They are not interested in what you are selling. They want you to receive a "payment" which if fraudulent and you will send real money to them for the fake "money" they send to you.

Sadly scammers are all over the internet. Good you realized, and thank you for posting this for others to be warned from.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#112961 by ld91 Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 am
I just got this one today. "Desmond O'Connor" was the name he used. Got the initial text message with a couple of questions then replied to the email he sent me and got one back. That's when I started Googling and found this site.

Me wrote:Hey mate,
Still got the Jazz for sale, for a firm price I want about $700. She's pretty worn, it's seen a lot of playing and a lot of gigs and probably the only con of a nitro finish is they wear quite easily. I'll attach a few pictures too, if you want any more of specific points of the bass just let me know.
Where abouts are you located? You're welcome to come over and give the bass a play, just let me know a bit in advance so I can go and grab my cab from my guitar player's house or you're welcome to bring your own amp too.

Cheers,
Luke.

Desmond/Scammer wrote:Alright Mate,

I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently overseas at the moment and i want it picked up before i get back. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be paying via PayPal which is safer for me or bank transfer as well safe. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at http://www.paypal.com.au if you dont have one or your bank details for me to make payment. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account. Have a nice day.

Cheers and pls inform other buyers you sold it as am ready to purchase it right away.

Not going to bother writing back... The email address was [email protected]. Just another name to look out for I guess.
#118610 by parole Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 am
This happened to me today. And thank goodness i googled the shipping address to then come across this blog showing the exact same email he sent me. Later in the day someone did call me on a blocked number with very bad manners and a strong African accent telling me he paid, very abrubtly. This is what spurred me to google what i could cos i was sus. I have since received 2 'fake' receipts from paypay saying my money is held for security and safety reasons until i pay the shipping agent $950 through Western Union.
I have copied and pasted parts of the email correspondence for anyone interested and hope that it helps honest people not to get scammed. I am so thankful that other have posted their experiences that inturn saved me. Also what saved me was NOT clicking onto the pay pal link he sent me.

HIM

Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away as i am buying this for Dad and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal) here.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that.

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.auand sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how my message deliver to your phone but for now we can only communicate through the same mailing channel.await your reply asap.

ME

Hi wayne,

I am sending you some images , I would be happy to take 9,500 for the car. It is in great working condition, it is not perfect however as it is 10 years old and has the usual cosmetic wear and tear.

HIM
Thanks so much for getting back to me and for concluding about selling this car to my dad,i really appreciate it,i am going to transfer the money into your account right now but before i do that,i will like to add the sum of $950 to the amount we agreed on and i will like to know if you would help me to transfer it to my shipping agent via western union money transfer here in New South Wales,Australia.I would ve love to do this myself but currently i am very busy on ocean because i am a marine engineer and there is no where on the sea i could send the money and the only payment method the shipping agent accepted is western union.I would be very happy if you would help me and i want you to get back to me with your reply so i can transfer everything together and get back to you as soon as POSSIBLE will also pay all the paypal charges

ME
Ok so we agreed on ?? pls be specific so we are clear. yes im happy to help not sure I understand what youd like me to do. One youve paid i need to check its cleared and in my bank account safe... How fast did you want this to happen?

HIM
what i meant was that i will like to add the sum of $950 to the payment which i do like you to help me in transferring it to my shipping company via western union money transfer,as it is the money for the service they are going to render for picking it up..i would have love to do it myself but as i have said before i am on sea presently and there is no where on ocean i can send money using western union which is why i will like you to kindly do it for me so that they can come over to pick it up and this is the only payment method they accept.

Lynn Smits
72,stratford road
unanderra
NSW Australia 2526

thank you

BELOW IS THE FAKE RECEIPT I RECEIVED

From: [email protected] on behalf of Paypal ([email protected])
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August 2012 1:29:43 AM
To: [email protected]

Dear [email protected]
We are sending you this email to let you know that we have received funds of an amount of $10,500.00AUD from the Wayne Cole on and it will still be pending and can only be posted into your account once you send the shipping fee to the buyer's shipping agent and provide us with some necessary information to complete the payment.Your PayPal ID and the Western Union Info as the prove that you have sent the $950.00AUD to his shipping agent.This is not a request by the buyer but a new policy to safeguard fraudulent transactions going on at the moment.
Once you have gotten the money sent to the buyer's agent as requested, forward the Western Union Info to our security customer care email at [email protected] and also the remaining information and we will go about crediting your account immediately.

We look forward to serving more of your business needs in the future.
Duly at your service

AND ANOTHER its a long one

Dear [email protected],

Receipt of Payment by Wayne Cole To Your Paypal Account.

This transaction is due to appear in your account shortly.
*For any questions and other issues regarding this payment, Please reply to our 24 hour customer care on [email protected] and we will gladly help you.

Description Price Quantity

Subtotal
MERCHANDISE

$9,500.00 AUD 1

$9,500.00 AUD

Shipping & Handling
(includes any seller handling fees)
$950.00 AUD

(western union charges & paypal fee): $100.00 AUD

Total: _______________
$10,550.00 AUD

This Payment will appear in your PayPal account statement in due time.Fund wired By *Wayne Cole" Payment Status Pending:
Transaction Details
Payment received (Unique Transaction ID # 4DR654207B959334M)

Sent By Wayne Cole (The sender of this payment is Verified)

Buyer email: [email protected]

Payment sent to: ......me [email protected]

Fund have being received by PayPal and will be processed into your PayPal after the reviewed for accreditation.Please,read this carefully and complete the western union transaction of the excess fee made into your PayPal account.you will have the full fund in your account as soon as we get the MTCN.

You are required to send a sum of 950.00 AUD to the address below via Western Union Money Transfer,you are requested to email us the MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number) and the Sender's Name and Address used to make the transfer. As soon as we received these information from you, we will Credit a sum of $10,500.00 AUD to your PayPal account.Below is the address where the money is to be sent to using Western Union Money Transfer.

Agent's Info:

Lynn Smits
72,Stratford road
Unanderra
NSW Australia 2526

Address Status: Confirmed
Please note:

We wish to inform you that Wayne Cole has made his intentions known to PayPal that he will like $950.00 AUD to be sent to the recipient's address above via Western Union Money Transfer. this fund is made in addition to the initial deposit made into your PayPal account. But the fund will only be credited into you account after the MTCN is received
Note:
* As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it is the one monitored for your transaction.

* If there's any refusal from you to act upon the receipt of this payment notice, we will have to take a LEGAL ACTION against you as this is just a way to ensure PayPal a safer place for all our customers.

* This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited into your Paypalaccount until the MTCN # is sent to us for verification, so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.

All you have to do is to reply directly to this mail with the MTCN #, Sender's Name and Address used when sending the money or the western union receipt.Once it has been verified and the details above sent to us, you will receive a "CONFIRMATION E-mail" from Pay Pal®Service informing you that your PayPal account has been credited with $950.00 AUD
Please, understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both the Buyer and the Seller.We apologize for the inconvenience that has caused you. Paypal now offers transfer protection of up to $150,000.00 AUD on any transaction through us.

Always mark any transaction as personal or as a gift if you want to waive any PayPal fee. you will pay no fee if you mark any transaction as personal or as a gift

PayPal® will be responsible for any loss incurred during the course of this transaction. With more than 147 million accounts worldwide, we are the leading online payment method you can trust!
PayPal. The world's most-loved way to pay and get paid.

Thank you for using PayPal.

Pay Pal® Team.

PayPal Email ID PP1525

Scott Thompson
President
PayPal, Inc.

PayPal is located at Gadens Lawyers Pty Limited (ABN 100 963 308),

For more information, read our Product Disclosure Statement, User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
#130228 by cherokee Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 pm
Hi All,
Here's another Gumtree scam from the well known Desmond O'connor, email address [email protected]. details below :evil:

Re: F250
1 recipientsCC: recipientsYou MoreBCC: recipientsYou
Hide Details FROM:Desmond O'Connor TO:Darren Maxfield Message flagged Tuesday, 23 October 2012 9:20 AM Thanks For your swift response.

I'm interested and consider it sold, can i trust you, actually i'm working and most time i am off shore and could you please provide me with recent pictures including this item so i can see the condition also, i'll be paying you from my paypal account or bank transfer, so if you are still okay in selling it off to me, kindly get back to me with your full paypal email address or bank details so i can send the money as soon as i have your detail. I will have a shipping company to come for the pick up once payment is made and completed at your location so i wll need this details below so i can proceed with payment.

Your Name
Firm Price
Your Full Address
Reason Why you are selling
Are Your the first owner?
Details for payment

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Darren Maxfield <[email protected]> wrote:

Desmond,
The vehicle is in excellent condition with many extras as listed in the ad, the price is $85,000 as also shown in the ad. If you are interested let me know and we will arange a time for you to view the vehicle.

Regards

Darren Maxfield (Max)
Ph -
#131855 by autism101 Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:58 pm
Have had contact from Desmond O'Connor this morning regarding an add I have on gumtree. Was very quick to reply.
Me:
Im asking $1200.00 AUD. Cash sale on pick up from NSW Central Coast. Feel free to conatct me via mobile.

Him:
Thanks for the swift reponse. Am really impressed in purchasing and i need to make the payment right away as i need it urgently and kindly inform if you have any other items for sale online maybe i may be interested and also am not in state right now and am willing to make payment via PayPal or bank transfer to your account and as well aspick up will be made by a shipping comapny once payment is made to your account. Kindly get back to me with your paypal address or bank detauils i.e bank name, account name and bsb so i can proceed with payment and pick up can as well be made immediatley. I shall be waiting on your soonest mail once you can recieve my message.

Thanks and kindly inform other buyers it is alreaady sold.

Be Blessed.

Me:Thankyou for your swift reponse. Feel free to scam someone else!
Kind Regards
Be Blessed.

:D
#134077 by nicky29 Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 am
Hi guys

I just came across this site after receiving a text message from a Desmond O'Connor in relation to my dining room suite I am currently selling on Gumtree. I smelt a rat as soon as I got the message and it was confirmed after reading about him on here.

Forgive my ignorance, but I did try to reply to the text message with some rather nasty words, however it wouldnt send as there was no actual number shown, only his name came up as "Desmond" like I had already had him in my contacts! Does anyone know how this works or am I being blonde?

Thanks
Nicky
#136007 by Carnylinguist Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm
I just wanted to add my desmond o'connor experience here after finding this through google.

I put a guitar on gumtree and very soon after I recieved a text message from one des o'connor saying he was very intrested, but the email address he gave me was incomplete... yet I could not reply to the text. After making efforts to email this person at desoconnor32gmail (yes the @ was missing so I added it in), he stated that he was out of town but wanted to pay for the guitar immediately via paypal, then have it picked up and sent to malasia.

It sounded dodgy so I began to google the name desmond o'connor and low and behold, this is the thread I found among others warning or the same.

Thanks for the heads up. He wont be getting my guitar.

Cheers, C.L.

Making email address searchable desoconnor32@gmail ~Bubbles
#140783 by BrotherJ Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm
Hey guys,

Just an update, the same guy / girl is now using the name 'Morris Mike' ([email protected])
Almost carbon copies of the text you had posted.

Really obvious scammer, he's hitting me up for my guitar amp.
#141705 by delboy14 Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:53 pm
I also received a similar email for my furniture on Gumtree.
You can also add Cole Jacob [[email protected]] to list of names. See email below:

Thanks for the swift response. Am really impressed in purchasing and i need to make the payment right away as i need it urgently and kindly inform if you have other items for sale as i need some stuff for my new apartment and also am not in state right now and am willing to make payment via PayPal or bank transfer to your account and as well pick up will be made by a shipping company once payment is made to your account. Kindly get back to me with your paypal email address or bank details i.e bank name, account number and bsb so i can proceed with payment and pick up can as well be made immediately. I shall be waiting on your soonest mail once you receive my message.

Thanks and please kindly inform other buyers it is already sold.

Be blessed.

When I got this, alarm bells began to ring so I searched around until I ended up here.
So I told him the transaction is cash only and he can contact me when ready to proceed.
Still haven't heard back!!
#141709 by TerranceBoyce Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:31 pm
The wording is classic scammer.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#141907 by Saffer Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 pm
Just to add to the list and confirm I was also contacted by Mike Morris with the exact wording as above mentioned. Thank you for running this board because it saved me from going through this scam and wasting time with him.