Room for Rent and other rental scams
#124954 by Dotti Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 am
"Deborah Mccoy" <[email protected]>
Good morning xxx,
Thanks for being so patient, I' sending you the tenancy agreement for you to look over now, Please let me know if the terms are favorable enough for you so we can go ahead with the deposit and book the room for you.
Have yourself a lovely day.
Deborah

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Deborah Mccoy <[email protected]> wrote:
Oh Great! I presume you would like to book the room then? I will need the following information to draw up an agreement which I will send to you for you to read the terms and conditions and they look good i will require a deposit in order to book the room for you.

FULL NAME
CURRENT ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER
NEXT OF KIN
PHONE NUMBER OF NEXT OF KIN
PROPOSED MOVE IN DATE
PROPOSED MOVE OUT DATE

Sorry I'm only just writing now, I've had a very busy day at work, hope your day was great over there?
Take care
Deborah

Deborah Mccoy <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi, well we are enjoying great weathe here too, the rain falls are on the low now so its not so cold yet, yet all bills and utilities are included in the rent..

Good Morning,
Nice to read from you again, So how is the weather and Life over there in xxx ? you sound very matured and I am glad you have had some flat sharing experience, my place is on 24 Eldon road, kensington W8 5PT London about 18 mins from Holborn.
Of course we can make an arrangement to book the room for you so I'll hold it till you arrive but first let me know if it suits you..
Thanks
Deborah.

------------------------------
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Deborah Mccoy <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello xxx,

Thanks for responding to my ad, the room is still available and is just as described in the ad.. So where are you writing me from?
The flat is a three bedroom, one of the rooms is currently being used as a storage, while I'm occupying the other one..the one I'm letting out is ensuite( has it's own bathroom and toilet) you'll be having the exclusive use of this without interference but we'll be sharing the kitchen and living room for the time while you are here..I'm a 29 yr old Nurse, I'm friendly and easy going, I'm very respectful of other people's privacy and I expect as much in return.

So have you had previous house sharing experience? I can keep the room for You if it is what you want as long as we agree on all the terms, Luckily, the apartment is centrally Located and so we can boast of the best metro system,. there are also about three tube stations that are a few mins walk from the house and they link you to the major areas of London, so it will be quite easy for you to commute

Hope to read from you again soon..

Cheers.
Deborah

------------------------------
Hello!
I am interested in your ad. What more can you tell me about it?
Thank you in advance.
Best,
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/roo/3264853531.html

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
Advertisement

#131015 by London room scam Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:42 am
I got scammed by the same person..or people..sending the exact same emails...but her name also can be Ellen Robberts. Deborah McCoy and Ellen Robberts are still out there putting up ads of rooms in kensington...on craigslist. I was deperate for finding a room in london and i fall for her/ them, sent 435 pounds via MoneyGram and i ve never heard back from her...
I was wondering if there is anybody out there who also got scammed by Ellen Robberts or Deborah McCoy ( or whoever they are) and if they reported them?
#131104 by Bubbles Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:29 am
Welcome to ScamWarners London room scam, I am sorry to hear you lost money to a scammer.

Scammers use English sounding names to further their believability. The names they use are not their real names. They are names they have found on the internet, or names they make up. For the most part, there is no one to report them to. You can make a report to the IC3 [ http://www.ic3.gov/ ]
The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. We can best process your complaint if we receive accurate and complete information from you. Therefore, we request that you provide the following information when filing a complaint:

Your name
Your mailing address
Your telephone number
The name, address, telephone number, and Web address, if available, of the individual or organization you believe defrauded you.
Specific details on how, why, and when you believe you were defrauded.
Any other relevant information you believe is necessary to support your complaint.

It is the best practice to never pay by money transfer service, like MoneyGram or Western Union. Those should only be used to send money to people you actually know in real life. Not someone who tells you to send them money.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It will help others and it will hurt the scammer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.