Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#122749 by novacek84 Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 pm
Thanks for the mail..Due to the nature of my work,phone calls making
and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to
check this advert and send you an email regarding it.I am offering you
additional $300 to the asking price.i will be paying you with my
credit card via my PayPal account,If my offer is accepted send me
your:
1.PaypalAccount Name:
2. Paypal email address:
3. Mobile Phone Number:
4. Address:
I can pay in right away.I am a sailor and do not have much time around
me.Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as
i will like the item to be picked,so no shipping.I insisted on paypal
because i dont have access to my bank account online as i dont have
internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my
bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email
address so i can make the payments as soon as possible and pls if you
dont have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up.
Advertisement

#122840 by Bubbles Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:45 am
Welcome to ScamWarners novacek84. The scammer insists on PayPal because he will send spoofed emails which look real but are designed to trick you into completing a transaction with you which will result in you losing your money and the scammer gaining it from you.

Thank you for posting this for others to find.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#123512 by VETERANS-GAMING Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 pm
This just happened to me. I have a macaw cage for sale and someone sent me a text. They gave a story similar to the one above, but not exactly. Right then I was suspicious and refused to give my paypal ID. I then came to my PC and Googled Craigslist email scam and found this thread.

I politely refused them, but they continued to try to reassure me that it was ok with constant emails telling me that PayPal was the safest method and not to worry. I knew they were full or crap and replied back to them that if they replied again I would F###### kill them all!

I haven't got another text since.

They were sending me texts from this number: 1-646-580-3032

The texts have stopped but how can I report them? What other action can be taken to protect others?

Gawd I detest liars, cheats and thieves.

removed link - dotti
#123521 by Dotti Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:23 pm
Welcome Veterans-Gaming,

I did have to remove the link from your signature line, as we only allow approved links to scam-related sites-we make every effort to stay completely impartial when it comes to anything else.

Macaw cages are not typically an item a scammer would actually want (usually when they are after the actual item, it is small electronics or jewelry), so it's more likely they were going for a fake overpayment/shipping scam (sending you a fake paypal for over the cost, instructing you to send part of the overpayment to their "shipper" usually via WU or MG.)

You can see the number has been used before for this same purpose: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-646-580-3032 The number itself is provided by bandwidth.com, which means the scammer can be anywhere (likely Africa or Malaysia, though.)

Unfortunately, there is no way to get the scammer arrested, so posting the info is really the best thing you can do now.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#125273 by JRoc Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am
I fell victim to this craigslist scam. Luckily for me, I happened to go online right before I sent the invoice via paypal. Not sure what made me do it, as my conversations with Mr. Tom Wallace didn't seem too odd. I live in S. Fl so everyone emails with a bit of broken English, so that wasn't too alarming. But maybe his anxious ways of wanting to get my information and buy the item without seeing it. Or maybe the fact that I was going above and beyond to send photos to this guy of the couches for sale, because he was in our military and doing his cousin a favor! ha I even offeredd to have the couches cleaned for him in advance of the so called movers coming to pick them up! When he didn't even mention anything about it I thought, "hummm odd".

Either way, I did a search on his email and you guys popped up. I'm so happy but at the same time, totally in shock that this is happening. Guess I'm a bit naive in thinking that people mainly mean well. :( So I wanted to list his information and since his email I have received another.

My question: Do I tell him I'm on to him, just ignore him? Tell him I've reported him. He just emailed me again this morning asking again for my phone number. Any insight on how to handle this would be great!

Tom Wallace
[email protected] (didn't realize over the course of our communication the email address changed - I used my iphone)

Tom Wallace ([email protected]) Do you still have this available for sale?

I told him that I had just listed it today. Yes it was available.

[email protected]
Hello,

Thanks for your swift response,I will be glad to pay for it as soon
as possible though I will not be available to come for an inspection
and pay cash but can easily do that via Paypal because I work as a
Marine Biologist and currently on sea. I'm actually buying this for a
cousin as a surprise birthday gift and my movers will come for the
pick up after you must have received payment notification from Paypal
confirming have successfully transferred the fund into your account.
Kindly answer the following questions below:

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Your Pick up Location?
4) Your full name and your Paypal email id for the instant payment
5) Your phone number for text or call

I will be glad to make the payment immediately through Paypal so
kindly get back to me with your Paypal ID and the name on it or you
probably send me a payment invoice. You can easily log on to
www.paypal.com to set up an account with them if you don't have
one,Paypal is very fast, secure and reliable to transfer money and
protects both buyer and seller. You need not to worry yourself about
the pick up I will instruct the movers to handle that. Hope to read
from you soon.

Tom.

I had emailed back with addtl photos and more specifics. That I did in fact have a paypal account etc.

Again he wrote back from [email protected]

Hello Jessica,

I'm more than glad to read back from you as regards the answers to
my questions and I really love the pictures you sent me, "it is a
great piece of beauty" Paypal is safe and secure to send and receive
funds and have been using it for more than 5years now. There will be a
transfer charges of 2.9% that will be deducted from your account after
receiving my money but I promise to include that in the payment I
sending you. I urge you to get back to me with your Paypal e-mail
address and the name on it or you probably send me an invoice so I can
make the payment the payment. I will also need a cell phone number I
can text you on. Thanks so much for your time and it is great doing
business with you.

Tom.

I responded back that I was assuming his money was coming from a US bank and that I would invoice him via paypal. However, I pushed again on an idea of timing that he would pick up the couches. I had asked this in a previous email as well and it went unanswered. (obviously knowing now he had no intention of picking them up) But he finally responded.

Again from [email protected]
Hi Jessica,

I'm glad to hear back from you again and my movers will be coming
for the pick on or before the weekend. Let me know know if that is OK
for you. I also need a cell phone number I can text on. Get back to me
with the invoice so I can make the payment. Hope to read back from you
soon.

Tom.

I have not responded yet, as I'm not sure what to say now knowing what I know. If there is any information I can provide on this thread let me know. I want to help and it kills me that people are out there doing this!

Update, I got another overnight last night.

Marie Claire ([email protected])
Hi, Whats the condition? any wear and tear?

mary claire (email and name slightly changed)
[email protected]
Alright,Your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, So i'll buy take it. the payment will be made via PayPal for the safety of both. I Dont have access to cash. Am at work here out of the states. so i will like to have your PayPal email address where the funds will be sent. And also the

address where it will be picked up because am arranging for a pick up with a local moving company. and i'll need it to get home before me.

So as soon as the funds is sent, they will come for the pick up.

Please write me back today.

Thanks
#125277 by Dotti Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:10 am
Just cut off contact with him. Do not tell him he is reported--it won't make him stop scamming, it will just encourage him to change his information, which will make him harder to identify.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#127297 by mcdoweed Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:33 am
I first wanted to say thanks to everyoone for taking the time to post all of this information. It was very helpful to me as I was attempting to sell an item on craigslist and my email almost matched the rest of these word for word and is as followsand was cut and paste from my email.

from [email protected]

Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that is in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it?I'm ready to pay your asking
price and to be honest, i want to buy this for my Dad as his birthday gift. I a marine biologist that works on the sea at the moment. phone calls making and
visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it so my only quickest payment option is
PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal
fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with Paypal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I
hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears . i will like to see more pics i look forward to
hear back from you soon.
details that i needed are below
Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Your Cell Number
God bless you bless you

I felt the need to post this to try and help other people avoid these scammers too. Everyone elses where very helpful to me and I wanted to help the next guy
#130181 by madmaia Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm
Received an email today from a Bill Pally, email address [email protected] for a furniture set that I am selling on Craigslist. Almost immediately had an individual interested in it. I responded and this is the message that they followed up with:

"Thanks for the response, My name is Bill Pally. I am buying this for
my family as a gift to our new home in which we are planning to move in
and I want to keep it as a surprise to them until it deliver and I
want to keep it that way after delivery day. I work with the military
as a SDI 8T000 and am stationed in Lack land Air Force Base AFB LAFB
San Antonio which makes it very hard for me to make phone calls but
you can only mail me. I will not be able to come your way to view it
but I have a hauler who will come for the pickup after payment had
been cleared so please get back to me with more pics and also I will
be making the payment via PayPal as that is the only payment option I
can access from here I hope you understand. And if you don't have a
PayPal account yet you can log on to www.paypal.com for simple sign
up. I have some questions for you;

Are you the first owner of it?
where do you live?
What is your final asking price?
Does it have anything negative i should know about?

Hope to read back from you soon.....

Regards Bill"

I immediately saw a red flag and decided to research it as I never accept anything other than cash in person on Craigslist. Thanks for posting this!
#130311 by kidikorus Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:30 am
Hi guys, I'm glad I was able to find this but only after replying to what I now think is a scam.

I was selling my car on craigslist and got a mighty quick response, a couple hrs after posting.

The person asked for my name/paypal account and I told him I would accept it only after the money clears to my bank account. I gave him my paypal email acc and my name.

Keep in mind this is all via text and I live in CA and the text number area code was 512 which I just found out was around in Texas and he reply'd to me with you mean "my email here" and the email was my email w/o the @ sign. At the time I didnt think anything of it and said no and gave out my email again in clear context.

Now what I am now thinking after research is that link he gave me was a phishing attempt to get my information. Is that still viable through texts?

Im glad i didnt touch it the link he reply'd with especially after not seeing any funds in my paypal acc.

Besides email spoofing is there any serious threat giving out paypal email/name?
#130664 by Bubbles Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:00 am
Welcome to ScamWarners kidikorus. There isn't much a scammer can do with your paypal account name. They may try to guess your password. I would recommend you change your password and make it more complicated.

It is good practice not to click on links from strangers and most friends. There is plenty of garbage on the internet that can hurt your computer or install something which will help scammers or criminals try to get information from you.

Please post up the scammer's email address so others can benefit from your knowledge and experience.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#134176 by postscam Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 pm
Frank Bruce [email protected] wrote :

"Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that i
will not be disappointed with it. I'm ready to pay your asking price,
i'm buying this for my Dad. The issue is I'm a marine biologist
and i am on sea right now. Due to my contract on the sea, there is
strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea. But I'm
able to access my mail anytime as i make use of wireless laptop.

My Mode of payment is via PayPal as as i don't have access to my bank
account online, but i have it attached to my paypal account and this
is why i insisted on using paypal. I will be responsible for
all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and i will like you to
get back to me with more pics if available, if you don't have an
account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.
Just log on to www.paypal.com

I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible.
I have a mover that will be coming for the pick up once payment clears
and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear
from you soon. Kindly get back to me with your,

PayPal E-Mail Address:
Firm price:

--
First email from him was plain and didn't stick out : Hello, is the price negotiable or firm? there is no problem
> with it? i will like you to send me general close up pictures when can?
> Thanks
--
#135921 by JMoneyFly Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:36 pm
I'm glad I ventured here before I made any moves, seems everyone here received a similar E-mail to me:

Shawn Brandon [email protected]

I just read the ad of your listing on CL and it piqued my interest. Please let me know if you still have it available for sale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

to Shawn
Yes, it's still available.

Shawn Brandon
Nov 23 (3 days ago)

to me
I've read through the ad and satisfied. I would have loved to give you a call, but I'm out of town on a geophysical investigations in the mountains and won't be back until 20th of Dec. So, coming to your residence for inspection won't be possible and will appreciate it much better if you can get back to me with its present condition and the last asking price you are willing to let it out. Do pull down the ad from the Craigslist so I can be assured that I'm at hand of the item.

More so, I'll love to make an instant purchase and will be paying via my PayPal account that is attached to my bank account. You can set up an account with PayPal if you do not have any. Simply log on to http://www.paypal.com and setup your own account with PayPal and it's free. You will receive a notification of payment from PayPal as soon as I make the payment, and the funds will be credited directly into your bank account. Please get back to me with the following information to proceed with the payment.

1.)Your PayPal email address,
2.) Full name,
3.) And your phone number
4.)The pickup address.

You're not to the one to be responsible for the shipping, and will have a shipper to come over for the pick up as soon as you've received a confirmation of payment from PayPal.

If you need to reach me, send me an email or text (720) 439-4493 (text only) as I drive in range every four-hours to check correspondence and respond at that time. I look forward to reading from you soon.

I decided to do some research since a few things tipped off that this may be a scam, like someone from Denver trying to buy a used drum set from across the country or the fact that he was explaining how to set up a PayPal account or the whole "text only" thing. I'm glad I did my research, saved me from any future hassles.

I also noticed when viewing this online that the E-mail address changed to "[email protected]"

I just wanted to get this info out there in case the same E-mails and phone number turn up.
#137672 by mosobe Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 pm
Thanks for the heads up!!!! Same guy [email protected] tried to get my leather couches I posted for $6K. Did my research online and found out this is all a scam! Below is a email he sent me....

Date: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 03:42 pm
Subject: Re: NEW Modern Leather Sectional Couches - $6000 (Miami Beach)
Just asking about it to make sure its in good condition.so i want you
to assure me i will not be disappointed?As am buying this for my
family as a surprise and i also want you to please understand that i
wont be around for the inspection of it but i have a mover who will be
coming for the pickup and check up as well.Im satisfied with your
firm/advert price, As im requesting this transaction should be done
via PayPal so the PayPal charges is on me.Payment will be made via
PayPal only,im presently out of town for some personal reason due to
my work.But i also want you to get back to me with some pics for me
to see and also please get back to me with the PayPal address for me
to make the payment asap.Also would be more than happy to have an
answer to this very question below:
1:Are you the first owner of it?
2:Why are you selling it?
3:Are the title still available and when does it expires?
4:Where do you live?
5:When have you been using it?
6:And does it has any dent on it or anything?
7:I will want you to please try to tell me the very actual fault you
think it has?
8:How much will you reduce from your advert price?
9:Do you have a PayPal email address?
And if you have a PayPal email address i would want you to send me an
invoice request OR you get back to me with your PayPal email address
as for me to proceed with your payment soonest.
Would be happy to read back from you soon....

--
Hello, is the price negotiable or film? i hope there is no problem
> with it?so i will like you to send me general close up pictures?
> Thanks
#142480 by TLR Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm
I posted some pricy items on Craigslist rewcently and reeived the following email.. interestingly enough it looks very much like some of the others that are posted on here.... FYI... I have not sent the "sender" any of my information....

Re: New High Quality Laminate Flooring 20 Boxes (new underlayment too) OBO - $1600

Show Details

From Holmes Anthony
To T Paramoure

Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it's in good state and i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Son and i want it to be a surprise gift for him, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am on my way right now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop and also i can text you any time so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.PayPal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling all the necessary thing for me. So i we be looking forward to hear back from you soon...
Holmes