Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#14068 by Michelle Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:55 am
Just like a "Room for Rent" scam.

The scammer will send you a cheque that will include the haulier's fee that you will need to send on to him (normally by wire services such as Western Union or Money Gram)

This check or money order will be fake, even if your bank cashes the check or tells you that it "cleared"!!!! The bank will find out in a few days or weeks that the check is fake, and will make you pay all of the money back, even the money you sent to the scammer. The bank might even have you arrested for cashing a bad check.

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:45:12 AM
Subject: Horse Boarding!!

Hello There,
I'm Pauline,i need to board my Gelding(Mocha) away from home for three months as i will be traveling for vacation with my family, I have the coggin and health certificate,i will need a full stall boarding or a pasture for the three months .. Let me know the price and any other requirement ...

About my horse
Name: Mocha
sex:Gelding
Breed:Thouroughbreed
Papers available:Insurance,worming ,tetanus and coggins

Intending Date for Boarding: 09/20/09 Let me know if you have a space available and get back to me with the details required to reserved a space for him i;e cost for boarding for each months either PASTURE,FULL STALL OR PADDOCK
Looking forward to read from you

Regards

Pauline

If you reply you should receive something like this:-

Hi ,
I'm really happy to have the breakdown and requirement for the boarding,i will be traveling for the summit soon,am having less time to check the place out as my time is limited and have to meet up with my flight arrangement and other issues here before leaving,i would like to have the pictures of the barn if available and facilities ...am intending to move down to your area after the boarding expires ,that is why am having my horse moved down from NC

About my horse:
NAME:Mocha
Year of birth:2001
Sex:Gelding
Height : 15.0 hands
Base Color : Bay
Breed:Thoroughbred
Feed:Hay and Grains
Registration Not registered
Deworming due:2nd week of every three month
Papers:Insurance,health certificate,Neg coggins
Last Boarding:06/05/08
Boarding stable: ************
Mailing address: *************

Description:
Good mannered and very sweet. Has been started under saddle with no problems. Up to date on everything. Very easy going and smart. Gentle and willing. Will be a very nice horse. No bad habits. Leads loads ties bathes and stands for vet and farrier.He is very smart and a very fast learner. He is not a spooky horse but very inquisitive. He is a smaller type and well balanced. He loads and hauls great, doesn't become stressed. He also is easy to have shod. He loves people..
I dont have much time as am busy preparing for my vacation but will have my hauler bring him..i would love to have the following info to make payment ahead to reserved a full stall boarding at you ranch,email the following info
Your Name
Addres
City
State
Zip Code
Phone number

The boarding start immediately you have the payment with you a nd it will include the hauler's fee as they receive their fee at the point of delivery ...I will be looking forward to have the contract for boarding for filling and signature.

I'll be glad to hear from you soon

Pauline

Advertisement

#14749 by Redruby Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:07 pm
I got scammed on the exact horse boarding scam.

Removed quote of above post - Ralph

I was scamed nearly word for word the same way :bowdown: ..I want to thank you for posting about it. I don't think there is enough information on the internet on horse boarding scams. I think it should also be on TV, the newspapers and Agriculture lists in every single city & state.
Thankfully I had sense enough to take the fradulent check to two diffrent banks to have it checked out. I had a gut feeling it was fake and it was!
Thanks agin for helping to inform people about this.
Redruby
#14750 by Arnold Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:42 pm
Hi and welcome to Scamwarners.
I wouldn't say you were scammed, as you didn't lose any money. You felt something was wrong and avoided the scam. Not as good as knowing it was a scam from the start, but a good second best. Well done!
Certainly horse owners etc need to know about this particular variant but generally the best advice is never ever bank a check, and send part of it on by Western Union. Remember that and you won't fall for any overpayment scam.
There's no need to quote the whole of the previous post. Can you edit it out please. If a passing moderator doesn't beat you to it.
Last edited by Arnold on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

#14752 by Redruby Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:54 pm
Thanks Arnold and sorry about the whole quote. I will make sure that doesn't happen again :D The nut posted me back after I told him I found out the check was fradulent and said he trusted me and didn't think I would run with the money. Go figure:)
Redruby
#14756 by Ralph Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:38 am
Those passing mods can be quick :wink:

Hi Red Ruby and welcome,

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
#14793 by Redruby Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 pm
Yes they can. Thank you for the reply and the nice welcome. No questions at the moment but I may have some soon. Thanks.
Redruby
#15735 by chartlaub Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:13 pm
Dear People:

Thank you for your warning, Pauline Justin sent the exact e-mail inquiry to my barn. However, I requested two separate certified checks and faxed copies of the required documentation. I just did this 30 minutes ago and then felt something was not quite right. Googled her name and found your posting.

I haven't lost any money, but you have now saved me some time and headaches. I am passing this information on the all the other boarding faccilities in my area.

Carol
#15737 by Arnold Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 am
Welcome to scamwarners, and I'm glad our site proved useful.
i recently mentioned a pet scammer here - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3932.
He's recently advertised horses for sale, and others may be doing the same.
So that's another scam you could warn others about.
I've sent you a PM.

#18046 by ninafuller Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 am
chartlaub wrote:Dear People:

Thank you for your warning, Pauline Justin sent the exact e-mail inquiry to my barn. However, I requested two separate certified checks and faxed copies of the required documentation. I just did this 30 minutes ago and then felt something was not quite right. Googled her name and found your posting.

I haven't lost any money, but you have now saved me some time and headaches. I am passing this information on the all the other boarding faccilities in my area.

Carol

I got the same e-mail from Teresa Brown about boarding her horse at my barn. I got an e-mail this morning saying the check was sent UPS and there as even a tracking number. It's pretty easy to tell these people are scammers cause they all sound alike. I would hate to think that someone legit but just didn't have a good grasp of the language was thought of as a scammer. But most of them are. If it's too good to be true...it's not.

Nina
#18049 by Michelle Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:42 am
Nina ...... pleased to hear that you haven't fallen for he scam.

If you do receive a cheque from him. The way I see it you will have three main options:-

* Take the cheque and any packaging to your local police , although they won't do much with it unless you have lost money in the scam. If you are in the USA obtain form 'PS Form 8165 - U.S. Postal Inspection Service Mail Fraud Report' from your Postmaster and file a report.

A copy of the form can be found by following this link:-

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps8165.pdf

(Tick the box marked "Nigerian Fraud")

* When the check arrives,mark it as fraudulent and save it as a souvenir of a near miss,
* Rip it up and bin it.

If you don't go for the first option I'd go for the second option ..... it makes a good talking point when you have friends around. :-)

Then write to him and tell him that you tried to bank the cheque and the bank told you that it was fake. You might want to add that you were arrested and spent two nights in the cells for attempted fraud ! You can also contact the bank that the check is written on and notify them that the account is compromised and being used by a scammer.

#49350 by genia95 Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:47 pm
They contacted me via TTY, since they were supposedly hearing impaired.
Thank you for your response.it was due to my hear Weiring impaired that lead to the tty call and i will like you to reserve a boarding for 8weeks for my horse as i'm preparing to relocate for my vacation so i am moving.my horse info as follows.
NAME:Miami..Year of birth:2002...Age:8....Sex:Gelding...Height : 15.0 hands...Base Color : Bay....Breed:Thoroughbred....Feed:Hay and Grains...Location:Kannapolis, NC...Registration Not registered...Deworming due:2nd week of every three month.....Papers:Insurance,health certificate,Neg coggins... My Mailing address: Susan s Carter: 701 Forest Ave
Kannapolis, NC 28081-2141

Description:
Good mannered and very sweet. Has been started under saddle with no problems. Up to date on everything. Very easy going and smart. Gentle and willing. Will be a very nice horse. No bad habits. Leads loads ties bathes and stands for vet and farrier.He is very smart and a very fast learner. He is not a spooky horse but very inquisitive. He is a smaller type and well balanced. He loads and hauls great, doesn't become stressed. He also is easy to have shod. He loves people.
I don't have much time as am busy preparing to relocate but will have my hauler bring him..i would love to have the following info to make payment ahead to reserved a full stall boarding at your ranch,I will require a stall or pasture and food for the horse also to let you know that payment will be by certified cashier's check or money order. In view of this I need you to email me the information that would be required to send the payment and you will be issued an overdraft payment that will include the hauler charges of the horse to your location for delivery at boarding ,So the hauler would be coming to your location to deliver the horse with you.Once you get the payment mail delivered you are to deduct the money acruse to you for the boarding and send the rest balance to the hauler service Via Western Union Money Transfer so that the horse can be pickup from my home immediately.He will be fed pellets and sweet feed twice a day and hay,and daily turnout.
So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the check or money order to you.

Full Name.
Mailing address.
Your direct telephone both home and cell.
cost of board for 8weeks.

The boarding start immediately you have the payment with you and it will include the hauler's fee for delivery of Miami at your barn ...I will be looking forward to have the contract for boarding for filling and signature.
i am at the hospital at moment and will undergo a surgery soon that is why i want you to get this done for me and i will appreciate that a lot... so i can have a sound surgical done. Once you get back to me with all the above,I will proceed the check will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you.I'll be glad to hear from you soon.

Thank You And God Bless You.
Susan Carter
701 Forest Ave
Kannapolis, NC 28081-2141

I replied and here is the next message

How are you doing today,i just want to notify you that i have issued and mail out your payment via postal mail and would be delivered hopefully soon, so do not hesitate to email me as soon as you get it delivered,as i was down with a diagnosis of cancer of the lungs, as such i had to spend some time in the intensive care,so please bear with me and continue with the transaction immediately you got it received,so you should notify me as soon as you got the payment delivered for further instructions from my hauler on how to complete the transaction and delivery of the horse at your barn.

Thanks and have a pleasant day!
Susan Carter

Will let you know, if and when the payment arrives.
#49351 by genia95 Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm
Now they are getting a bit antsy:

email:

how are you doing today,i just want to be in touch base if you have yet received the payment mail today.do not hesitate to let me know as i need Miami to be delivered at your barn pretty soon.

Susan Carter.
#49364 by Dotti Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm
They get antsy because they want to push you into sending the cash before you have time to figure out it is a scam. The longer the delay, the more likely it is the victim will learn the truth before sending any money.

If you have received the check, you can basically do any or all of the following
1) shred it
2) take it to the police along with the correspondence (though nothing will happen)
3) file a fraud report with the post office (if they used US mail, which appears to be the case, it is mail fraud)
4) Write "Fake" on it in large, permanent letters, so that it is clear you won't attempt to cash it, and keep it.
5) Let the issuing bank know that you received it so they can flag the account.

Just don't (1) try to cash it or (2) keep it without defacing in such a way that it is clear you can't try to cash it.

In some cases, they may continue to harass you. If this happens, and you want it to stop, the easiest thing to do is to tell the scammers that your bank (or the police) informed you that their check is fraudulent and therefore you will not do business with them. Generally they will stop all attempts at that point--but if they don't, you simply reply that if they have an issue they can discuss it with the police. Once they know that there is no chance of you falling for it, they will move on to other likely victims.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#49836 by puckky Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 am
Moderator note: This post was made by a scammer angry at losing out on a paying victim.

Genia...You a puck ass hole everyone know it you are one of them who rip off money i found you here complaining i will have someone come to locate you as you have already being reported several times to the authorities ...pretty soon ur ass would be turn in YOU FuckING Ripper....ASS Holes...........Fuck You Praaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!
#49847 by Michelle Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:57 am
Surprise surprise ! our newest member (puckky) is a scammer posting his message from Lagos, Nigeria.

Bye bye puckky