Room for Rent and other rental scams
#145113 by Con Warner Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 am
Subject: Re: $700 / 4br - 4bedroom 3bathroom single family home (Greensboro NC)
To: Con Warner
Date: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 11:11

Hello,

I received your response concerning my Advertisement published on Craigslist The house is still available am the owner of the home and i bid for a portion of petroleum land a while back in West Africa and fortunately I just won the bidding so I had to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up because I still have to rebid for it in the next 4 to 5 years. I came over here with my wife and two kids and before we got here i thought of selling the home but had to change my mind because of my wife, she preferred we had it up on the rental market I had to look for an agent, after getting one, we got a deal but later we found out that he was renting it out for a higher price than what we agreed on and i don't want an occupant that will be paying a lot and not have time for the home because of the price of the home. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee so I contacted the Agent back and requested for my keys and documents the maintenance of the home is far more important to me I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to see before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space.. But I just have a feeling that anyone who knows the values of a home should know that maintaining a home is essential, so if you believe you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then I will be more than happy to let you rent the house My cell phone numbers are : (+234-8069-625145 or +234-8069-625145) you can call or text.
Please if you are interested in renting my house kindly provide the information below.
PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
APPLICATION FORM
Full Name Prefix__________________________________________________ (CELL)PHONE________________________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Home Phone ( )___________________ Other Phone ( )________________________
Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________
Reasons for Leaving Old Home____________________________Rent $__________Phone ( )____________________________
Are you married____________________________
How many people will be living in the house____________________________
Do you have a pet____________________________
Do you have a car____________________________
Income____________________________
Move In Date____________________________
HOW SOON CAN YOU HAVE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT SENT___________________________
HOW SOON DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE HOUSE___________________________
Rent/Month: $700___________________________
Deposit Payment: $500___________________________

You could give me a call as soon as possible if you can call internationally if you can't please indicate so i can call you so we could proceed ASAP.
Please note that you will only be able to drive by the house for now but not have a look at the interior until i have sent the keys and documents of the house to you and the requirement for getting the keys and documents of the house is a fully refundable payment, which is the security deposit.
Please note that the deposit made is fully refundable the deposit is just to make sure that you are really interested in the home and also to hold the home for you so we don't rent it out to someone else, after receiving the keys and documents if you feel unsatisfied or uncomfortable with the interior, but i am giving you a benefit of doubt that you will love everything about this lovely home...

Thanks & God Bless.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement