Room for Rent and other rental scams
#147144 by Con Warner Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:27 am
Date: January 24, 2013, 11:11
To: Con Warner
Subject: Re: $630 / 2br - TWO BED TWO BATH WITH HARDWOOD FLOORS AND GREAT LOCATION (Arcadia)
Reply-To: [email protected]

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The great news is that the property is still available . There was a potential renter who had great interest in the unit, but he lost his job, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it leased immediately. Considering you had contacted us initially, regarding the rental, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in great condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A property like this would typically go for much more, but again, I need to lease it immediately, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http://fbcdm.info/9d3bcbcf85bc92db895dc79c4196e751

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property.

My availability over the next few days is going to be constrained, but I will try to be available between 10am and 8pm. After you have completed the online process, let me know that you have a hard copy and I can schedule an appointment at the rental.

See you soon!

Stephanie Dobbins

The link that you are asked to click is possibly a phishing site in which your personal details are harvested for identity theft.
Sometimes these links go to an actual credit report company that pays the scammer a small amount for your custom.
After visiting the site and replying to this person, the scam begins.

This person then asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment either to him, your friend or a family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or Moneygram with the promise that they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#147692 by goddessmode Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am
Yes, this scam BS artist is still going, posting on Craigslist in rentals. http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/abo/3578537989.html
This listing has now been flagged on Craigslist. Here is a copy of the e-mail sent to me when I requested further information on a listing. I hope that nobody is naive enough to send their credit information online.

Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail. The great news is that the property is still available . There was a person who had serious interest in the rental, but he had bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it rented immediately. Considering you had emailed us first, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in great condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A unit like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it right now, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The leasing term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http:// fblink. info / 16dba7b19955 820223679 3fbf261b79a <<disabled link>> Mike W

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property.

My availability over the next few days is going to be constrained, but I will try to be available between 10am and 8pm. After you have completed the online process, let me know that you have a hard copy and I can schedule an appointment at the rental.

See you soon!

Stephanie Dobbins
#147750 by began steele Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 am
Don't click the link fblink.info. It is malicious.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#147955 by smashtheidols Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:30 pm
I recently got this email from "[email protected]" in the San Francisco bay area. The cheapness of the rental made me suspicious, and by googling the fblink, I was brought here. He's the message copied in full, which is very similar to OPs, with a few minor changes.

Hi,

Thank you for your email. The great news is that the property is still available . There was a potential leaser who had significant interest in the property, but he had bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it leased as soon as we can. Considering you had contacted us initially, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A unit like this would typically go for much more, but again, I need to lease it asap, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records with a $300 pet deposit. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for just a couple of dollars. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700. Also we will be using the rental history page of the credit report to see your rental history. Here is the link: http://fblink.info/3cbfd52fd3116a00832ab751094876df

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property. Please have all people over 18 to live in the property to order the credit report, thank you.

See you soon!

Michelle Starks
#148236 by mwareham Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm
I just recieved a similar email from [email protected]
see below...

Hi,

Thank you for your email. The great news is that the rental is still available . There was a potential renter who had serious interest in the property, but he had bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it rented immediately. Considering you had contacted us first, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A leasing like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it immediately, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The leasing term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http://fblink.info/5851533d9551f8dd0094f15d415e79a7

See you soon!

Michelle Starks