Room for Rent and other rental scams
#150137 by doug135 Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:52 am
I received an email from a gentleman called Thomas Hofmann. It was in reply to a rental advert i had responded to. The email read:

Hello,

I am Thomas Hofmann and I just received an email of interest in my apartment located in Dulwich Road, Cape Town 7700, Southern Suburbs. I am an austrian researcher working for a pharmaceutical company and this apartment was bought while working here in South Africa on a 5 year contract, as I thought it would be a better investment than renting. I am the only owner of the apartment, it is paid in full and it has no legal problems . The apartment has not been inhabited since I am no longer living in Cape Town
I wish to rent my apartment to some nice and responsible people and in order to do that I have to know a some details about you, like how many persons are you planning to live in the apartment, for how long, if you have a steady income, etc. I must tell you from the beginning that I do not have a problem if you are a student and I am very fond of pets and willing to accept them in the apartment(I am the proud owner of an English bulldog). You should also know that I appreciate sincerity very much.
In addition to everything else here is a little something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is the one in the pictures from the advertisement.I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs)
The rent for 1 month is 5000 R(for the entire apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable). You can rent the flat for any period of time (open end contract) but not less than 3 months.
About myself, I am 30 years and as I told you I am a researcher in pharmaceutical products.
You can move in the apartment in the same day when you receive the keys. The only issue is that I am already in United Kingdom but I hope that together we are going to find a solution.
I appreciate your interest in my property and I am looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.

Best regards,
Thomas Hofmann

Please be aware this is a scam and cease to email or contact him again!
Advertisement