Information on romance scams and scammers.
#15352 by Chris Fuller Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:35 pm
Date: Fri, Apr 17, 2009
Subject: Hello Dearrest one
To: [email protected]

[email protected]
Hello Dearrest one
name is peace i saw your profile today at and i love it i
think we can make it together,please i will like you to email me back
through my email thanks([email protected]) . I will be waiting
to recieve your lovely reply soon,
please
kindly reply me through this my email address so that i will able to
send you my pic. Don't reply from the site, Thanks .peace
[email protected]

This is an older email, but one that shows several things to look out for in order to recognise a scam:

1. From Peace Johnson to Peace Johnson

Non-scammers do not usually send their emails to themselves, and put your name in the BCC field!

2. yahoo.co.th email address

Scammers frequently use yahoo addresses from countries they don't live in. This one is a Thai email address.

3. 'I saw your profile today at'

The scammer should have put here WHERE he found your email address - but he obviously either forgot to put it in, or forgot where he got your email address from anyway.

If you do have a dating site profile, it is unlikely it shows your email address, so someone who genuinely saw your profile there would not be able to email you directly.

(If a mail like this, however, has entered your Personal Messages at a dating site, would the sender need to name the site where your profile was seen? No, because it would be that very same site.)

3. 'Hello Dearest one'

No name given, not even a user name from a dating or friendship site. This scammer doesn't say where they are from. But some claim to be from the USA or UK - and then use a form of greeting that would not be used on a first contact in those countries. So it is worth asking yourself whether their greeting would be usual for a message to a stranger in the country they claim to be from.

4. 'I saw your profile and I love it'

No indication what they loved about it! A genuine person would be likely to mention the things they had in common with you, or why they thought you sounded particularly like their sort of person.

5. 'I think we can make it together'

There are certainly enthusiastic genuine people in the world! But such enthusiasm and certainty on a first contact, when added together with everything else, may be a reason to think twice.

6. My email ... my email ... my email

Do genuine people mention their email address in every other sentence?

7. 'So I will be able to send you my pic'

In the same way as genuine people can be enthusiastic, genuine people can also want to send you their picture quite quickly. So this needs to be considered along with other signs that all is not quite right. If Peace wanted to send you a photo, why not send it with this mail? Or, if Peace is a little shy, would 'she' offer it unconditionally, if only you write back?

This sort of mail is often a preliminary to a 'Refugee Scam' in which the beautiful young lady - or sometimes the nice looking young man - is using 'love' as a way to get you hooked .... into sending them some money for either the transfer of their inherited millions into your bank account, or a passport, or some other 'help' to free them from the Refugee Camp.

But, even when it is not, you will still find that your 'new love' will require money from you. Their interest in you is fake. All they want is your money.
Advertisement