Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#147778 by ujfalvialbert Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm
Hello to everyone

I’m a Hungarian person but I live in Transylvania, and sorry if I had not write everything okay.
Be careful, I get the same email like the others on this forum for a tractor what I want to buy from Angela Curtis <[email protected]>.

Hello, We were celebrating my son exams, sorry for the delay.
Its still for sale and as you can see its very well mantained and with very low hours the tires are very good. The tractor is in great condition and its ready to wor. I have all the papers of the tractor in my name. I just moved back to Dundee after the death of my husband, I was left with the machine. Price £3600 delivered at my costs. Are you familiar to eBay? I will list the machine on eBay Motors for the £3600 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it immediate.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed delivery without any additional costs for you.
You will receive the machine with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you

It was very strange that a tractor in a good condition is only £3600 and they will send to me 2500 km whit there one cost. I send o lot of emails to this person and I wrote to her that I will go there and I will pay in cash when I see whit my one eyes the tractor. In this case she doesn’t want to make the deal. Thanks for God I find this forum.
I found the advert in farmingad.co.uk.

Can everyone tell me that if I gived them my name, my address, phone number and my enterprise dates (whiteout bank account dates), they can make something bad to me?
I’m waiting for answers
Best regards,
Advertisement

#147851 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 am
Welcome to Scamwarners ujfalvialbert and you did well to realise it was a scam.

Obviously shipping a tractor from Scotland to Transylvania would not be worthwhile at that price.

it's very unlikely that they'll try to do anything with your details and it isn't what they were after.

That's not how they steal your money.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#148020 by Bubbles Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 am
Hello ujfalvialbert, your English is good.

With a scammer it is always best to STOP all communication with them once you realize they are our to scam you. You will not be able to catch them, it will only waste your time and irritate you. Just move on and do not write to them any more. We are glad we could help you.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#148029 by ujfalvialbert Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am
Can everyone help me to find some trusted adverts because I tried to find some tractors for sell, but all the private adverts what I picked out from site farmingads.co.uk (approximately 10 adverts, and I not selected only the cheap ones) are scams I think because they all want to make the deal in eBay. I find trust adverts only from dealers.
Best regards
#148253 by Bubbles Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 pm
I am sorry, we do not recommend sites because all online selling sites are infested with scammers. It is best to be certain to inspect the tractor or what ever you are buying in person. It is also best to have someone knowledgeable about that product inspect the item and make sure it is worth the money you will put into it.

Not all online sellers are scammers. It is just important to be sure of who you are dealing with. If an item sounds too good to be true, it is probably a scam.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#148591 by boboplumber Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:02 pm
2008 vw transporter First advertised on gumtree manchester i replied and advert taken off then e mailed from scotland vw t 5 on ebay in dundee price £ 4990 scammers e mail [email protected] name on invoice Sarah Hudson Adress 21 Stirling Street Dundee DD3 6PH MONEY TO BE SENT YET AGAIN VIA BARCLAYS beneficiary A.Cristea sort code 20-71-75 ac no 53907341 says LONDON luckily googled her and found your site had a close escape thanks reported to local police and national fraud line surprised how long this been going on Barclays should be ashamed of themselves
#148719 by Izzywizzy13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm
Almost caught by one like this last night too..Sarah Hudson, 21 Stirling Street Dundee. Using Barclays bank (again) sort code 20-71-74 account number 53083128, account holder is V.Cristea. This was for a Bailey caravan on Autotrader then via eBay, we realised as the invoice sent was suspicious and on checking eBay had never heard of the item number, would have been £4000 poorer so grateful to have been led to this site when I googled [email protected] which I'd never seen on an eBay invoice before. Don't feel quite so bad now I see the extent of this.
#148783 by landyman Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:51 pm
thanks every one here
i saw a vw transporter on auto trader that look great and was cheeper than others.
it was in gordon barracks camp aberdeen.
got the same email about afgan
shes under the name of laura davis
[email protected]
#152853 by Rod Jones Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 pm
A lot of recent ones have used genuine names and addresses in the business details. Best one yet: griffinnick35, they used the name and home address of the "leader" of the British National Party! A whole bunch of Griffins came through that day, including a lot of Nasty Nick's family.
#152888 by TerranceBoyce Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 am
I've only just picked up that account you mentioned Izzywizzy13.

That account has been mentioned so many times as being involved on fraud on this forum I can't believe that Barclays Bank have done nothing.

Barclays bank (again) sort code 20-71-74 account number 53083128, account holder is V.Cristea

Whether the account holder is an innocent dupe or a scammer is irrelevant. Banks cannot allow it to happen for the good of the community and their own reputation.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#153194 by moreanon Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:51 pm
You might be interested in this thread which uses pretty much exactly the same words..! They read from the most recent first..

From [email protected] 27 feb 2013 18.37
I got this notice:
"Never reply to an e-mail that asks for personal information or copies of your item documentation including the V5C. Keep item documentation and details regarding your item including your VIN/REG number secure at all times."

I am very sorry for the inconvenience I am just trying to sell it safely anyway ebay has all ready did a hpi check and it would be available on the live page of my listing.
Thank you

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Personal information removed. ~Bubbles wrote:
thanks Linda, this is very helpful.

Please can you let me know the registration number. I will need this to check if it is LEZ compliant, and also for insurance purposes.

With best wishes

On 27 February 2013 16:22, Linda Thornton <[email protected]> wrote:
Year of Registration: 2005
6 Speed 2.5 Diesel Engine
Transmission: Manual
Sleeping Capacity: 4
Equipment: 12V Lighting, 240V Lighting, Air Conditioning, Alarm, CD Player, Cooker, Fixed Double Bed, Hand Washbasin, Mains Hookup, Radio
Horsepower (Bhp): 130
Safety Features: Anti-Lock Brakes, Back Seat Safety Belts, Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Side Airbags
MOT: September 2013
106,000 miles
Electric windows and mirrors
Full remote central locking
Air conditioning
Alarm and emobilliser
Radio & CD player
Tow bar
Sleeps 4 adults
Waeco fridge freezer
Combined smev, hob & sink (Never been used)
Full leather rock and roll bed in rear
Leisure battery
Mains hookup
LED interior lighting
Pop top roof
Campervan is in good clean condition inside and out, there are a couple of very small dents on the rear tail gate

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/44119366.jpg/ -- here you can see pictures!

Since the last buyer came with 50 pound fake notes I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer/Seller Protection Program. Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program.
I'm going to list it as a private auction on ebay and then send you the link, you will need to click on buy it now and just follow the instructions sent to you by ebay. As soon as they will confirm that to me I am going to start the delivery through shiply.com as ebay has instructed me. Once you receive it you have two options. Option 1: You will tell ebay I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I need your full name and a mobile number to forward them to ebay and so you will be registered in the buyer protection program. When ebay will get you registered in the buyer protection program please let me know so I can send you the link to my auction.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Personal information removed. ~Bubbles wrote:
Dear Linda

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am interested in the van but would like to know if it is petrol or diesel. Also, please confirm the date of the MOT as this is different in your email below from the date listed in your advert.

I also would prefer to test drive prior to making a purchase.

I hear what you say about your previous viewer. Please note that I am seriously in the market, can pay cash or by bank transfer, and, if it helps at all, am female!

Please do send me the link to your private auction in any case.

All best, and condolences regarding your husband.

On 27 Feb 2013, at 12:20, Linda Thornton <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,
We were celebrating my son exams, sorry for the delay.
Its in immaculate condition without any damage internally or externally. It has its habitation check in order, and full service history, all the documentation registered in my name. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect. Mot until september 2013 and tax till octomber, full service history and very low miles. The final price is not negotiable: £4400. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it but I don`t even have a drivers license. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Personal information removed. ~Bubbles wrote:
Hello! Is your van still available? Is it petrol or diesel?
Thanks..

Your advert 'VW T5 Campervan' published on HalloLondon.co.uk.
• Your advert is available here - http://www.HalloLondon.co.uk/index.html?op=3&id=1080804
• To feedback by email to this enquiry simply reply to this email.
• To read more about our Privacy Policy click here http://www.HalloLondon.co.uk/index.html?op=11
Last edited by Bubbles on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#154962 by Hufty Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm
I've just been caught out by the same scam ona VW T5 see my post under title Sarah Hudson. I wanted to buy the van to convert to a camper, my dad passed away Monday and I wanted to do it as a mark of his memory. They knew this and still took my money. How sick do I feel !
#155187 by Boots Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:41 pm
Hi all

Been looking at buying a camper van, seen a very cheap almost half price perfect van today. its a classified ad on ebay, looking for a private sale but through ebay so their offering ebay buyer protection and want to start the transaction... Ebay DO NOT OFFER buyer protection on these sales.. they are going to send me a FAKE ebay transaction page for me to send the money and then deliver the van because its in the middle of scotland. Aberfeldy, United Kingdom. I nearly got done by a similar scam last month in spain.. the van details are as follows reg ND02 LHN . VW TRANSPORTER T4 2.5 TDI POP TOP CAMPER VAN. scammer email is [email protected] goes by the name of Denise . Blue camper perfect condition 102000 miles..
#155277 by began steele Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 pm
No seller in his right mind would do that shipping without the cash in hand even if he was getting full rate / book price for the vehicle. The seller would leave it up to you to work out the logistics. It is your pigeon. It just is not true. Take your time and think logic. Don't go and buy what you have not seen and can't see, and ask self why you can't. 1 phone call and you can book an inspection and get a report. You can also play Dumb and say "I know someone just up the road. Can he come and see you? " Even if it is not true. Your so called seller will vanish over the fake mountains above the fake car and your money will remain firmly in your hand. It will all have been too good to be true

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.